Tyrone Power Matinee Idol Collection (R1) in July

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Tyrone Power Matinee Idol Collection (R1) in July

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of the Tyrone Power Matinee Idol Collection on 29th July 2008 priced at $49.98 SRP. One of Hollywood’s most popular stars from the late 1930s through the 1940s, Tyrone Power racked up hit-after-hit to become a monumental star. In this collection, versatile Power plays the role of a newspaper reporter in the Academy Award nominated fantastical romantic comedy, Luck of the Irish; a cynical solider in the Oscar winning wartime romance, This Above All; and co-stared with actress Loretta Young in the comedy, Love Is News. Additionally, the collection showcases Johnny Apollo, Girl’s Dormitory, Day-time Wife, I’ll Never Forget You, Second Honeymoon, Café Metropole and That Wonderful Urge.

There are four new featurettes amongst the extras on this five-disc set…

Café Metropole - Presented in full screen with mono sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
Deleted scenes
Advertising Gallery
Behind-the-scenes stills Gallery
Production Gallery

Day-Time Wife - Presented in full screen with mono and stereo sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
“My Dad, Tyrone Powers” featurette
Behind-the-scenes stills Gallery
Production Gallery

Girl’s Dormitory - Presented in full screen with mono sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
“Tyrone Power, Prince of Fox” featurette
Advertising Gallery
Production Gallery

I’ll Never Forget You - Presented in full screen with mono sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
Advertising Gallery
Lobby Cards Gallery
“See England with Ann Blyth” Gallery
Production Gallery

Johnny Apollo - Presented in full screen with mono and stereo sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
Advertising Gallery

Love Is News - Presented in full screen with mono sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
“Ty and Loretta: Sweethearts of the Silver Screen” featurette
Advertising Gallery
Behind-The-Scenes Gallery
Production Gallery

Luck of the Irish - Presented in full screen with mono sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
2 viewing versions: green tinted and black and white
“Jayne Meadows Remembers” featurette
Trailer
Advertising Gallery
Production Gallery

Second Honeymoon - Presented in full screen with mono sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
Trailer
Still Gallery

That Wonderful Urge - Presented in full screen with mono and stereo sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
Theatrical Trailer
Advertising Gallery
Production Gallery

This Above All - Presented in full screen with mono sound, French and Spanish subtitles and the following bonus material:
Trailer
Advertising Gallery
Production Gallery

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=68063
London. Greatest City in the world.

JSWalsh

Re: Tyrone Power Matinee Idol Collection (R1) in July

#2 Post by JSWalsh »

Somewhat OT, but I am going home to watch The Razor's Edge again. This and Nightmare Alley are the only Power movies I own and I really enjoy both of them. (The only other of his I've seen is the pretty bad Witness for the Prosecution.) He's one of those old stars whose movies passed me by, but as I have resigned (at least temporarily) from going to the movies after Iron Man, I am digging deeper into the Hollywood past. Any Power fans have any suggestions for my next Power flick?
John

Jedbu

#3 Post by Jedbu »

[quote]The only other of his I've seen is the pretty bad Witness for the Prosecution.[/quote] :o

John, you are the first person I've ever run across that has called this film "pretty bad." Many people consider it to be one of-if not the best-trial films ever made, ranking right up there with 12 ANGRY MEN and ANATOMY OF A MURDER. It also contains one of Charles Laughton's greatest performances, and Dietrich [SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!] actually pulls off a different accent quite convincingly. Add to that one of Power's last performances (he would die a year later and he was beginning to age a bit with this film) and a charming little character role by Elsa Lanchester and I think you have a damn good little movie.

Of course, that's just my opinion-I could be wrong.
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

JSWalsh

#4 Post by JSWalsh »

you are the first person I've ever run across that has called this film "pretty bad."
I'm glad to be an original! :) Although Pauline Kael called it "inane".

I often disagree with people on Billy Wilder movies. I find many of his movies entertaining, and many more are examples of there being "less than meets the eye."
John

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

Welcome to the board, John!

JSWalsh

#6 Post by JSWalsh »

Eric Paddon wrote:Welcome to the board, John!
Thank you, Eric, good to be able to chat movies with you again.
John

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

I will look forward to doing that here with you again! (Can't say much about Tyrone alas since the only film of his I've seen is Witness For The Prosecution).

JSWalsh

#8 Post by JSWalsh »

Eric Paddon wrote:I will look forward to doing that here with you again! (Can't say much about Tyrone alas since the only film of his I've seen is Witness For The Prosecution).
You should give The Razor's Edge a try. It's not so much anti-religious as it is pro-spirituality. One of my current bugaboos is people who say "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual" which means to me they like everything about religion except having to get up early on Sundays and go to church, and all that pesky paying for the bad things they do in the afterlife. Yet, this is a pretty interesting Hollywood movie about a man's quest for spiritual meaning. It's one of those movies I find myself watching every 6-8 months.
John

Castile

#9 Post by Castile »

Hello:
This is my first post to this forum and I'm glad to be here. I'm also happy to find a thread about one of my favorite actors from the 30s and 40s, Tyrone Power. I'm delighted to see him getting his due on DVD -- along with the new set coming out in August, "Rose of Washington Square" is also part of the next Alice Faye set due soon. (I think it will be available solo, too.)

JS Walsh already mentioned two of my favorite Power films - "Nightmare Alley" and "The Razor's Edge." His post-war work, to me, is informed with a maturity that was not so much nonexistent as unexpressed in his earlier 30s work; he was often cast in a glamour boy role and competently provided what was required of him. He made some terrific films in the 30s ("Alexander's Ragtime Band," "Jesse James," "The Rains Came," "In Old Chicago,") as well as the early 40s ("The Black Swan," "The Mark of Zorro,') but didn't really get a chance to sink his teeth into anything acting-wise until the late 40s. The first Tyrone Power DVD set is a mix of pre- and post-war vehicles -- "Blood and Sand" and "Son of Fury" from the early 40s, and "Captain from Castile," "Prince of Foxes" (a movie that all but demands Technicolor but didn't get it) and the lesser-known "The Black Rose." All of them are good examples of a "star vehicle," and Power shines in them. His co-stars include Linda Darnell, Rita Hayworth, Frances Farmer, Gene Tierney and Jean Peters. I'm looking forward to the second set as there are a couple of films in it that I haven't seen, and it also includes "This Above All" and "Johnny Apollo," two personal favorites of mine.

I think the thing that I admire most about him as a performer is that, to me, even in some of the less-than-taxing roles he was given to play, he never seemed to be phoning it in. He was learning his craft which came into full bloom in roles such as Larry Darrell and Stan Carlisle. And, I guess, if you want to see what a movie star was supposed to look like, look no further than Power in the 30s!

Anyway -- thanks to John W. for telling me about this board, and to Andy for letting me join.

:D

Alot of his work has been released in the Fox Studio Classics series, too.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Anyway -- thanks to John W. for telling me about this board, and to Andy for letting me join.
Castile it is my pleasure to have both you and John W. here. Thanks for coming and keep on postin'! :)

JSWalsh

#11 Post by JSWalsh »

Howdy Castile,

Good to see you here.

One of the best things about a board like this is I can pick the brains of fans of a particular artist I have an interest in.

You want to hear something really wacky, though? When I first watched--and loved--Nightmare Alley...I didn't even connect Power as the lead in Razor's Edge, which I'd seen only a year or so before. I have a good visual memory, but I was so absorbed by the character and the story I didn't once think "Oh, I know this guy, he was in Razor's Edge." I consider that a sign of an actor immersing himself in the role. While my mom, for one, thought Power was handsome, I never really thought much of him one way or the other. There is a distance about him that is almost eerie, like he's not listening to anyone around him but has his own agenda.

It's good to read your post, now I have some guide for choosing my next Power flick.
John

Jedbu

#12 Post by Jedbu »

It is really sad that NIGHTMARE ALLEY was not a success with audiences-still a very dark film-and many critics were put off by the subject matter. Today, Power's performance ranks as his best (right up there with RAZOR'S EDGE, IMHO) and makes you wonder what might have been had he not been felled by a heart attack at such a young age. :(

Those two films, along with CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE, MARK OF ZORRO and JESSE JAMES are my favorites of his, and if you ever have the chance to listen to the recording of his performance in "John Brown's Body," when he was directed by Laughton, you will be amazed.

I still find it hard to believe that Tyrone Power, Sr. was his father, especially if you see the paterfamilias appearance and performance in THE BIG TRAIL. He must have been quite the rake in his early days, because there is no resemblance whatsover if you compare the two-amazing.

And a warm welcome to you, Castile! :)

Castile

#13 Post by Castile »

Thanks, JS and Jedbu -- it's nice to be here.

I've never heard the recording of "John Brown's Body," although I've read good things about it. I did manage (finally) to find a copy of the recording he did of some of Byron's poetry. (JS -- the name of this shop will no doubt ring a bell with you -- I found it at "Looney Tunes" on Boylston Street.) You bring up an interesting point regarding Power's appearance -- many people (our moms among them) loved the way he looked -- how could you not notice that face? I think this drew attention away from some of the work he was doing performance-wise. When you hear the recording, however, there is no visual -- just that magnificent speaking voice and a real appreciation of the depth of his understanding of the material. I'd love to get a hold of some of his radio work; apparently he worked frequently in the medium.

Interesting comment, too, about not recognizing him from "Razor's Edge" to "Nightmare Alley,"; his two best performances at Fox I think. And you're right about that "eerie distance" he displays there; I think it's the most startling quality of his work in that film and completely on target for the character of Stan. (A little aside here - Joan Blondell is kick-ass as Zena.)

He aged rather rapidly after the war; it's surprising that he was only 44 when he died.

Anyway, glad to be of service in the recommendation department.

:)

Castile

#14 Post by Castile »

I just got this set yesterday. Nice to finally have an opportunity to watch "I'll Never Forget You," a film he did in 1951 that has been out of circulation for years. First impression is that, while not a great film, it is an interesting one. Apparently there was an earlier version of this story filmed in the early 1930s with Leslie Howard. The print was surprisingly good for a film that has been lying fallow for so long -- I wonder what the story behind its up-to-now unavailabilty is. There's also a nice featurette narrated by his three children, all of whom, sadly, have few memories of the actual man. The chronology of the set is such that we get Power in his first role at Fox (a minor role in "Girls' Dormitory"), into the build-up roles ("Love Is News," "Cafe Metropole,") and into the star years ("This Above All," "Johnny Apollo," etc.) His breakthrough role in "Lloyds of London" is curiously missing -- perhaps a third set of Power's films is in the pipe? "Suez" has yet to see a DVD release as well. In the meantime, there's a terrific mix of films in this new set - solid fare to fluff, but taken as a whole, it can almost serve to chronicle how the old studio system worked as we watch Power rise from featured player to star.