Criterion titles in your collection?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Mike Skerritt

#16 Post by Mike Skerritt »

That's quite a collection.
Jedbu wrote:ALEXANDER NEVSKY
This intrigues me most.

Jedbu

#17 Post by Jedbu »

It's part of an Eisenstein set that includes IVAN THE TERRIBLE (which I have never been a fan of, except for the Prokoviev score) and is the best print in existence. I think it is from the same source for the showings I attended some years ago with the score conducted live-just astounding.

If you like Eisenstein, get the Kino BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, which has a gorgeous transfer of the recent restoration. The film really comes to life in this copy.

This Criterion collection is thanks to some good friends who get review copies and the used bins at Amoeba out here. I prize the SPINAL TAP copy, especially since it is now OOP, as are SPARTACUS, STRAW DOGS, ARMAGEDDON and THE ROCK.

JSWalsh

#18 Post by JSWalsh »

Wow, you guys are rich--I couldn't afford all those Criterions! :P

I just got a loaner of F IS FOR FAKE and MR ARKADIN is coming my way. The ARKADIN DVD looks damned comprehensive.
John

Castile

#19 Post by Castile »

DeepDiscount has a "buy one/get one" deal going on right now for a lot of Criterion titles.

Eric W.

#20 Post by Eric W. »

http://www.criterion.com/asp/browse_bluray.asp

Criterion Blu-Ray titles/specs/list prices. Amazon and places like that will probably have these a little cheaper. Be on the lookout!

JSWalsh

#21 Post by JSWalsh »

I just added CARNIVAL OF SOULS to my collection. It's a mixed bag, though I haven't actually WATCHED it yet. I'm completely happy because of the low, low price I got it for, used, and am looking forward to the good print and the commentary track. Also, there are outtakes with the organ score played against them. However, I checked a couple of the extras and they are videotaped pieces from a local news reporter that look kinda cheap. But we will see. I'm just glad to have a good print of this.
John

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

I was never a huge fan of CARNIVAL OF SOULS...it's one of those genre favorites that seems to have been more important to its era than a really good, enduring picture if that makes any sense.

JSWalsh

#23 Post by JSWalsh »

AndyDursin wrote:I was never a huge fan of CARNIVAL OF SOULS...it's one of those genre favorites that seems to have been more important to its era than a really good, enduring picture if that makes any sense.
I think it makes perfect sense in that "nightmare logic" way. The score is hugely important to it, too. I think the problem is that they tried something pretty tough to do in any era, which is having an unlikable main character.
John