WarGames: 25th Anniversary Edition (7/29)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Mike Skerritt

WarGames: 25th Anniversary Edition (7/29)

#1 Post by Mike Skerritt »

I was excited to see Andy's write-up of one of my favorite 80's movies on the main page. I'd been holding off picking up the barebones release in the hope that they might release a bells and whistles version. This looks to be it. Glad to see they've gone about remastering.

I didn't realize Martin Brest was the first director on the film. I'd be interested to see what his take on the material was, but certainly it benefitted from Badham's light touch. The movie's held up surprisingly well over the years, even if its technology is a bit dated, thanks to engaging characters, sharp writing, superb (and I mean superb) pacing, and a deft balance in tone.

Great score by Arthur Rubinstein as well. Thanks to Intrada for putting it out. I just *love* that orchestral beat after Joshua's portentious "...to win the game" when David asks what the primary goal is.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I didn't know Martin Brest was so heavily involved either, Mike -- seems like the movie was really his baby, but then the studio opted for a lighter touch and Badham was the man for that. Outside of actually SEEING Brest's footage, it's a really strong documentary on the new DVD. As I wrote in my review, it's definitely an eye-opener because Brest was the guy who guided the movie, shaped it, did all the planning and pre-production. Badham really just took it over (and he admits as much), though a lot of what made the film work was his doing ultimately.

At any rate, I agree totally -- I love this film, grew up on it and for me it still holds up today because of the humor, the characters and the performances.

Phenomenal score by Arthur B. Rubinstein too -- though I wish they had used the movie's instrumental (non-vocal) version of "Falken's Maze" as that song, on the album, is HORRIBLE with lyrics! ;)

Mike Skerritt

#3 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:I wish they had used the movie's instrumental (non-vocal) version of "Falken's Maze" as that song, on the album, is HORRIBLE with lyrics! ;)
Couldn't agree more here. I was really disappointed to hear that cat-screech-sounding version with lyrics. It works so well during the montage in the film, it's probably the piece I thought of first when I saw Intrada was doing the album. Shame.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Mike Skerritt wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:I wish they had used the movie's instrumental (non-vocal) version of "Falken's Maze" as that song, on the album, is HORRIBLE with lyrics! ;)
Couldn't agree more here. I was really disappointed to hear that cat-screech-sounding version with lyrics. It works so well during the montage in the film, it's probably the piece I thought of first when I saw Intrada was doing the album. Shame.
Someone mentioned this over at the Intrada board and it sounded like Doug Fake got a little defensive about it, noted they never would put a track that was "altered" against the composer's wishes on one of their CDs. Sadly though that vocal kills that track, it's much better without the "performance"...and the lyrics are inane!

JSWalsh

#5 Post by JSWalsh »

While I don't much care for this movie, I really liked the score from the first. Rolling Stone, I believe, criticized it for being so overwhelming, and I do think it's a bit "off" for the rather small-ish ensemble scenes outside the military compound. Yet, ever since I heard the cue that accompanies the scene where the characters run into the base before the door closes, I've never forgotten it. It's one of those movie-music cues that are basic listening experiences for me. (And it's rather Goldsmithian, too.)

I also like the over-the-top cue for the scene where the computer keeps running simulations at the movie's climax. I think the movie NEEDED that kind of pumped-up emotional score at that point, because no matter what, you're just looking at freakin computer screens at that point.

Of course, unless you buy into the movie's rather illogical point (there's no way to win such a war) you think it's all kinda silly...which it is.
John