POLTERGEIST Remake - Perelman Directing, HORNER Scoring?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

#16 Post by romanD »

both directors and horner are interesting choices (in case horner does it). Definitely makes the remake a justified one (so far... that the writers wrote BOOGEYMAN however shouldnt go unnoticed... haha), but somehow Im afraid Horner would go the synth-drone way, as any orchestral work no matter how good has to stand up to Jerry's masterpiece and Im sure he knows himself he wouldnt win or even end up on the same level, so he will either pass or go a totally different way to escape endless critiscm. A pure orchestral horror score by him would be something new and cool, and emotional parts he does very well... still... I dont really see him ending up doing it. The director said before he hates Horner's usual orchestral music and only had him work on both his movies with this unusal scores. If he wanted big lush orchestral scores he would have taken someone else... so we will see. Exciting nevertheless.

But in general I think the remake times are really over, nobody wants to see them anymore. Although this movie is aimed more at grown ups than the usual PG-13 audience...

JSWalsh

#17 Post by JSWalsh »

romanD wrote:
But in general I think the remake times are really over, nobody wants to see them anymore.
The first time I recall reading this sentiment was in the 80's, when people were saying "this remake/sequel cycle is over" the summer Lethal Weapon 2 came out.

THE DARK KNIGHT sure ain't the first time we've seen that material filmed, so I'd suggest remakes (and sequels) are here to stay.
John

romanD

#18 Post by romanD »

I didnt mean sequels and I dont think TDK is regarded as a remake by anyone...

I was referring to the countless Bay-remakes and all the rest of mostly unnecessary horror-remakes of the last couple years. There is not much left anyway... haha

suprised that no one tackled a FRIGHT NIGHT remake so far, but I guess that is just too special... with all its references to 50ies horror movies and an overall filmbuff atmosphere and injokes... something the teens from today will not understand at all and will be difficult to recreate for them...

JSWalsh

#19 Post by JSWalsh »

I mention sequels because they are part of the same wave--more of the same. You have to remember the audiences for these remakes--and there are plenty coming--see both kinds of movies as simple retoolings with current techniques. They're aware of these being remakes; they don't care.
John

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

JSWalsh wrote:I mention sequels because they are part of the same wave--more of the same. You have to remember the audiences for these remakes--and there are plenty coming--see both kinds of movies as simple retoolings with current techniques. They're aware of these being remakes; they don't care.
I somehow seriously doubt the teen audiences films like the new versions of The Hitcher or The Fog are pitched at are aware that they're remakes. :? Yeah, everyone knows about films like Psycho and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre through sheer, cultural osmosis, but these smaller, 80's films aren't famous-famous enough for the majority of today's punk kids to know they're being remade. :roll:

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:I somehow seriously doubt the teen audiences films like the new versions of The Hitcher or The Fog are pitched at are aware that they're remakes. :? Yeah, everyone knows about films like Psycho and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre through sheer, cultural osmosis, but these smaller, 80's films aren't famous-famous enough for the majority of today's punk kids to know they're being remade. :roll:
I agree with that. Why would any teen even be aware of the old HITCHER -- that one seldom shows up anywhere on TV, and THE FOG only gets shown occasionally, and even then on stations like AMC that youngsters have zero interest in.

POLTERGEIST, though, is a movie that still has HIGH visibility and I'd bet people will go to see it to check it out, not just teenagers. As I said, good or bad, the fact that this doesn't seem -- on the surface through Perelman's hiring -- to be shaping up to be a hack horror re-do like HITCHER, FOG, TEXAS CHAINSAW, AMITYVILLE, etc. is at least an encouraging sign.

JSWalsh

#22 Post by JSWalsh »

I work in a school for teens and on Sunday nights we rent a DVD. I know it's hard to believe, but teens aren't completely ignorant. When I was a teen I knew something about movies coming out, and considering all the info available online--which they visit frequently, even though here we are pretty strict about controlling that--they CAN, in fact, read.
John