What's New In Your Collection?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

What's New In Your Collection?

#1 Post by Eric Paddon »

Been a long while since we've had one of these threads. I think maybe instead of doing it the old way of new ones every month we just keep adding to it as we see fit in a single thread.

It's been a long time since I bought new soundtrack CDs. I've honestly felt that the hobby for me has reached a point where there aren't a whole lot of Holy Grail titles left for me that I would love to hear on CD unless it's a score from Universal or Paramount that I know isn't going to get out of the vault. But of late, with a little bit more money at my disposal I decided to check the months worth of new releases I'd been ignoring and decide it was time to get caught up with some FSM titles, particularly after "Grand Prix" was announced as that was one title I had wanted to upgrade.

So now, two orders, four new FSM titles, one Intrada gets me caught up with where I think I should be right now!

Grand Prix (Jarre)
Wreck Of The Mary Deare (Duning)
Land Of The Pharaohs (Tiomkin)
The Thing From Another World (Tiomkin)
Buck Rogers In The 25th Century (Philips)

There are probably at most four or five more FSM titles I should get eventually and maybe I'll try to coax a relative into getting me the Superman set for Christmas the way I was able to get the Bernstein boxed set for Christmas last year. But truthfully until the Universal and Paramount vaults get untapped, I'm hardpressed to think of what there is left to really really thrill me.

JSWalsh

#2 Post by JSWalsh »

Yesterday I bought:

SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2 -- Rachel Portman

THE DUCHESS -- Rachel Portman

BURN AFTER READING -- Carter Burwell

I haven't even listened to these yet.
John

Castile

#3 Post by Castile »

"Finding Rin-Tin-Tin" (Edwards -- I love this one!)
"One Man Jury" (Stevens)
"Danger Man" (Astley)
"Morituri" (Goldsmith)

I have the new-issue "Omega Man" on the list for next order.

Latest DVD: "Mister Roberts," 1984 TV production with Kevin Bacon, et. al.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

DVD:

Region 2 -
Ashes To Ashes (Life On Mars spin-off).
It Ain't Half Hot Mum - Series 5.
The St. Trinians Collection (4 Disc Boxset)

CD -
King Solomon's Mines.
Commander-In-Chief (Promo score)
Dave.
Jack Brooks Monster Slayer.
The Bionic Woman Vol.2
The 4 Musketeers.
Remo.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

This is embarrasing, but this week I FINALLY, after all these years, got the RoboCop CD! I bought the LP when the film first came out -- in those early days of CDs, I tended to buy the LPs instead because they were cheaper, and then never buy the CD because I felt like "why should I pay $15 for a recording I already have?"

But this week I got 'round to buying the CD. The only problem is listening to this great score, I'm reminded of how much I miss Basil Poledouris. :cry:

JSWalsh

#6 Post by JSWalsh »

DVDs

Magnum Force
The Gauntlet
The Fog (original)
Pumpkinhead (!)
The Shield, season 6
The Shield, season 3
Masters of Horror: The Screwfly Solution
Letter to 3 Wives
LOTR:Fellowship expanded (replacement)
The Silencers

CDs
The Duchess--Rachel Portman
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 --Rachel Portman
Burn After Reading--Carter Burwell
John

mkaroly

#7 Post by mkaroly »

Bought the Kenji Mizoguchi's FALLEN WOMEN Eclipse sereis box set 13. HIGHLY recommended. These films are incredibly intense, dramatic, and moving. I am really impressed with the quality of these films. Wow-

Eric Paddon

#8 Post by Eric Paddon »

DVDs
=Magnum P.I. S6,7,8 (Taking advantage of last day of $20 sale at BB)
=Incredible Hulk S5
=Touch Of Evil, new Special Edition

JSWalsh

#9 Post by JSWalsh »

I look forward to your comments on TOUCH OF EVIL. It's one of the few classics certain geeks groove on that, when I saw it, I thought actually WAS that cool. Just an amazing movie to look at. I must have a thing for Venice California--I love Bradbury's novel which takes place there, too. I think NIGHT TIDE was shot there, as well, a neat little indie flick with Dennis Hopper.
John

Eric Paddon

#10 Post by Eric Paddon »

New purchases as this is a big time for TV on DVD and also taking care of some loose ends movie wise before I feel the time will come when I may go years before getting another movie DVD release.

Streets Of San Francisco-S2V2
Night Gallery-S2

From an on-line group called Moviecraft I purchased *VHS* copies of the best quality episodes that exist of the 1955 TV series "Sheena: Queen Of The Jungle" starring one of the most beautiful women of all time, Irish McCalla. Moviecraft is the original source of the 16mm prints that have circulated and thus all other cheap PD DVDs that have the same episodes are worse quality versions of their source copies so the ideal thing is to buy their VHS copies and then transfer them to DVD.

I also took care of some overdue business regarding a movie I'd put off SIX YEARS in getting the DVD of, "The Great Race" which is my favorite of the "epic comedies" of the 1960s. It's much funnier than Mad, Mad World, Flying Machines etc. but the original DVD release in 2002 had a problem in which the audio in the credits was messed up in which boos for the title card of Jack Lemmon were suddenly cheers and cheers for Tony Curtis's title card were boos! (but the foreign tracks were okay). I later heard vague reports that this was corrected, but the problem was no way of knowing if you'd get a DVD with a correct version or not so for years I made do with a VHS transferred from a Laser Disc rental years ago. Now that the housecleaning of VHS is taking place, I tossed that out and decided to today take a chance on that six year old DVD release at Borders for $10. Popped it in the machine and a BIG sigh of relief as I heard boos for Lemmon and cheers for Curtis. :)

My biggest TV acquisitions of the year to follow next week along with the new DVD release of "Quo Vadis".

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

Still haven't seen "Quo Vadis" anywhere (my understanding was it was out already) but the TV on DVD stuff continues!

Burke's Law-S1V2
McHale's Navy-S4
Hawaii Five-O-S5
The Odd Couple-S5

The music edits annoy me on Odd Couple but whereas I can take a principled stance on "The Fugitive" this one I have to alas grit my teeth and bear it.

And one new addition from the Deep Discount sale which I wasn't going to take part in but knocking the price of the hard to find "Donna Reed Show" S1 to only $16 was too tempting to pass up. (I resisted the temptation to get "M-Squad" and "Wagon Train" as well).

mkaroly

#12 Post by mkaroly »

Indy box set and the Genesis Box set (1970-75...th Peter Gabriel albums). The Genesis Box set is amazing and full of classic footage and good interviews. The 5.1 mixes sound great and I have enjoyed hearing these albums again with such improved sonic clarity. I am really toning down my DVD and CD purchases- can't spend like I used to.

Jedbu

#13 Post by Jedbu »

The Little Rascals box set
Iron Man (2-disc edition in special mask case from Target)
Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6 (the last of the 4-disc collections :( although other future releases in different packages will continue)
Three Stooges, Vol. 4 (1943-1945)
Dr. Syn-The Scarecrow (Walt Disney Treasures)
Sabrina
Sunset Blvd.
Roman Holiday (all Paramount Centennial collection)
Cool Hand Luke SE
Gigi SE
An American in Paris SE
L. A. Confidential SE

The three Paramounts have more special features and have put those on a separate disc from the feature, thus giving more disc space to the feature with what looks like an improved picture.

The Rascals set is causing some controversy with collectors who have become steamed about replaced title cards, synch sound problems, missing dialogue, substandard print quality, etc. There is a thread at HTF about this, and a friend of mine is going to have lunch in the near future with the man who has been shepherding this collection on home video and who is not happy with what has been done here.

The Dr. Syn disc is quite nice with both the original three episodes and the re-edited feature in the same set. Now if Disney would just release the Zorro series. . . :wink:
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

Castile

#14 Post by Castile »

I bought the "Dr. Syn" set, too. Nice to have my favorite Disney production on DVD. The restoration is beautiful. :D

Eric Paddon

#15 Post by Eric Paddon »

"Odd Couple" S5 turned out to be the worst job of butchery Paramount has done on a TV show that I've seen apart from what they did to "The Fugitive". THey have ruined the comedy of so many episodes collectively in S3,4,5 with their snipping of any moment a character does a line of a song that I'm now deciding I have to get a boot set just to get a copy of the missing footage that I know wasn't cut in syndication.