Gigi and An American in Paris

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Gigi and An American in Paris

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Warner Home Video have announced the US Blu-ray Disc release of Gigi and An American in Paris on 31st March 2009. Priced at $28.99 SRP each, the Blu-ray Disc versions of these Best Picture Oscar-winning 1950s classics follow the 2-Disc Special Edition DVDs that were released back in September 2008. Lovingly restored and remastered for the DVD releases, the Blu-ray editions benefit from the same restorations and will feature the same bonus content.

An American in Paris - Originally photographed in Technicolor, is the latest recipient of Warner Bros.’ proprietary Ultra-Resolution process, which takes the original Technicolor negatives and meticulously combines them to yield a stunning picture with sharpness and depth of field never seen before.

Extras include:
Concerto of a Commentary hosted by Patricia Ward Kelly and featuring rare, often previously unheard interviews with Gene Kelly, Vincente Minnelli, Arthur Freed, Alan Jay Lerner, Johnny Green, Saul Chaplin, Michael Feinstein, Preston Ames and Irene Sharaff and new observations by Leslie Caron and Nina Foch
1938 MGM short: Paris on Parade
1951 MGM cartoon: Symphony in Slang
Theatrical trailer
2002 American Masters Documentary: Gene Kelly: Anatomy of a Dancer
‘S Wonderful: The Making of An American in Paris, an all new documentary, produced especially for this release. A dynamic history of the making of the film, which reveals how George and Ira Gershwin’s classic songs, the dazzling art of the French impressionists and the ultimate teamwork of MGM’s legendary “Freed Unit” came together to create a musical masterpiece. Featuring ten new interviews, including co-stars Leslie Caron and Nina Foch
Outtakes: Georges Guetary performing Love Walked In and Gene Kelly performing I Got a Crush on You (audio only)
Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron promotional radio interview with Dick Simmons
Love Walked In Outtake
Audio Outtakes
Alternate Main Title
But Not for Me Guetary
But Not for Me Levant Piano Solo
Gershwin Prelude #3
I've Got a Crush on You
Nice Work if You Can Get It
'S Wonderful
Radio Interviews
Johnny Green
Gene Kelly
Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron

Gigi was produced after the demise of the original Technicolor system, photographed in the industry-standardized Eastmancolor process. For this new DVD release, Gigi has been photo-chemically restored from its original camera negative and safety separations to produce a much sharper and colorful image than has been seen in decades. It also contains a 5.1 audio mix created from the original multi-track source elements.

Extras include:
New Commentary with Leslie Caron and Film Historian Jeanine Basinger
The Million Dollar Nickel [1952 MGM short]
The Vanishing Duck [1958 MGM cartoon]
Theatrical Trailer
Thank Heaven! The Making of Gigi - The story of how 1958's Best Picture winner (the last of the classic MGM musicals) survived a turbulent production that included censorship battles over its daring sexual content and creative struggles between a studio in turmoil and a demanding, visionary director. Featuring an all-new interview with star Leslie Caron, and a rare interview with Oscar-winning director Minnelli
Original 1949 Nonmusical version of Gigi starring Daniele Delorme in the title role and directed by Jacqueline Audry (in French Mono with English subtitles)

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/69 ... march.html
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Excellent news. That's two buys right there for my family. :)