rate the last movie you saw

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
mkaroly

#31 Post by mkaroly »

Lol....I guess that's what's fun about individual tastes! :D

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

Exactly :)

Actually I don't think CAPRICORN ONE is a "great" flick. Does anyone? It's fun, and it's entertaining, but it's no classic.

Hyams isn't a terrific filmmaker, but he has made several movies I liked, whether it's OUTLAND or THE RELIC. Of course he also made SOUND OF THUNDER and HANOVER STREET also, but at least when he makes a bad movie, it's still watchable, even if it produces unintentional comedy.

mkaroly

#33 Post by mkaroly »

I don't think it's a great flick (despite my 8/10 rating). I just thought it was effectively creepy in a 70s way/style. The car going out of control sequence was goofy (my friends and I laughed out loud when we saw it), and the ending is hokey. Gould was stiff. But in the end I was very entertained, and that's why I gave it higher marks. I did like Telly's overacting and the chase scene at the end- it was like a STAR WARS Death Star dogfight only on Tatooine...lol...I kept expecting to hear Ben Kenobi tell Telly to use the Force...lol...

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

But I LOVE the hokey ending. I love Goldsmith's score. I love the theatricality of him running into his own funeral, the slo-mo of Brolin and Gould jogging together. Fun stuff :)

JSWalsh

#35 Post by JSWalsh »

mkaroly wrote:Lol....I guess that's what's fun about individual tastes! :D
NO! NO NO NO! Everyone must think exactly like meeeeeeeeeeeeeee---!

gasp

spurt

(click)

This poster is being taken out of service. Please pardon any inconvenience, as he has moved over to the (bleep) website to continue posting. :P

(elevator music plays)
John

Monterey Jack

#36 Post by Monterey Jack »

Speed Racer: 0/10

Go away, Speed Racer.

AndyDursin

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Speed Racer: 0/10

Go away, Speed Racer.
Movie....awful...so....bad....I.....cannot.....speak.....lol.

Monterey Jack

#38 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:Speed Racer: 0/10

Go away, Speed Racer.
Movie....awful...so....bad....I.....cannot.....speak.....lol.
I haven't seen a movie so hyperbolically, hypnotically, intentionally awful since Domino. Not even Giacchino's score made this worth sitting through.

MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

Wretched.

And Cristina Ricci was in it too. Sigh. Well, the "new" Cristina Ricci. lol.

Jedbu

#40 Post by Jedbu »

INCREDIBLE HULK (2008) 7.5/10

Liked the way they fast forwarded thru the origin but am a bit confused if the villain is dead at the end or managed to survive to show up in sequel (if ever). :?:
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

mkaroly

#41 Post by mkaroly »

TOKYO CHORUS (1931) - 7/10. I have now watched it three times and it gets better with each viewing. I am in an Ozu mode lately and want to watch several of his films over the next few months. Good early film that is entertaining and funny at times.

Jedbu

#42 Post by Jedbu »

Rented some movies this week and trying to refresh some favorites and view some recommended titles:

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS 10/10-Orson Welles' "lost" masterpiece is still stunning even missing 47 minutes of its footage and with a cobbled together last 1/2 hour.

SIMON 7/10-Marshall Brickman's first directorial effort is not always successful but Alan Arkin is just wonderful, especially his "evolution" pantomime after being in a sensory deprivation tank way too long. Not out on DVD or even laserdisc.

THE SECRET OF ROAN INISH 8/10-John Sayles' most lyrical film and not unlike a fairy tale. Gorgeous cinematography by Haskell Wexler.

THE POWER AND THE GLORY 7/10-Preston Sturges' groundbreaking script from 1933 with Spencer Tracy and Colleen Moore; nicely directed by William K. Howard and glad to see it on Fox Movie Channel.
JDvDHeise

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."-Gene Wilder to Cleavon Little in BLAZING SADDLES

JSWalsh

#43 Post by JSWalsh »

REMEMBER THE NIGHT

A lost gem. Barbara Stanwyck is a thief and Fred MacMurray the prosecutor who gets stuck taking her home to Indiana for Christmas and New Year's. Preston Sturges wrote the script but it's not a comedy, but a low-key drama. Although some of the comedy is corny, this was a real surprise. The depiction of the rural home and Christmas celebration is wonderful, and Stanwyck really shines. I was genuinely surprised by the ending--it's not a copout, as one would expect from a more sentimental picture of this type. I suspect I'll be watching this during the rest of the year.
John

JSWalsh

#44 Post by JSWalsh »

Was SPEED RACER really that bad?

I was surprised to see it on TIME's 10 Best list.
John

JSWalsh

#45 Post by JSWalsh »

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

Finally, a movie with Keira Knightley in it that I actually enjoyed. A smooth adaptation with fine photography. Barely noticed the score.
John