Your SINGLE favorite movie of 2008 (2 categories)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
JSWalsh

Your SINGLE favorite movie of 2008 (2 categories)

#1 Post by JSWalsh »

1. Your favorite movie released for the first time in 2008

2. Your favorite movie released BEFORE 2008 which you saw for the very first time in 2008

Your views on your picks appreciated.
John

JSWalsh

#2 Post by JSWalsh »

I know I emphasized SINGLE but have TWO categories but you know what I mean. :?
John

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

1. Favorite movie of the year (in essence)? Wow- this is actually kind of hard, but if I had to pick one I would say THE DARK KNIGHT. I hate to be bandwagon-ish, but I loved the movie and thoroughly enjoyed sitting there for 2+ hours soaking everything in. I thought it was a decent follow-up to BATMAN BEGINS and the sequel met my expectations. Just so you know, other films I saw this year were IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, QUANTUM OF SOLACE, CRYSTAL SKULL, THE HAPPENING, and that's all I can think of.

2. This is INCREDIBLY hard since I saw so many DVDs this year. I will go with THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI (2002) by Yoji Yamada. I thought this was an elegant, beautiful film that was engaging through deliberately slowly paced. It stuck with me after watching it for several days, and the acting is good (especially the final confrontation). The film is subtle and emotionally moving. It DOES seem at time to be a bit soap-opera-ish like, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and since I'm only allowed to pick one, I'll pick that one.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

This was hands down the worst year for movies since I've been old enough to be reviewing at least.

I can't think of a single movie I absolutely, positively LOVED. There were some that I liked, sure, but very few movies that I would rate as "exceptional".

Of course there are a number I haven't seen from the end of the year here, so I can update my thoughts, but I've yet to see one truly exceptional film produced in 2008 as far as I'm concerned.

JSWalsh

#5 Post by JSWalsh »

Andy, I'm glad that someone who's seen more movies than I this year reflects my feelings. I WOULD have seen a lot more movies this year--I used to go to the movies almost weekly--but I was just never compelled to go. And halfway through the year i was wondering "Is it me?" Maybe it is, to an extent, but it's not ALL about me.
John

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Movies that I've actually seen as favorites:

Serious: Dark Knight I like it a lot but I think I actually Batman Begins better. Why? Because Batman Begins was dark and serious but there also some fun and even sense of wonder with Bruce as he became Batman and all this. Dark Knight is full fledged dark psychological drama/thriller straight through and it isn't "fun" or "easy" to watch. It's still a damned good film, though, all told.

I hope the third movie in this series goes back to being more like Batman Begins. Have more balance of some fun, sense of wonder, while being "serious."

Fun movie that may be my movie of the year outright: Wall-E

Movies in 08 that I want to see and haven't yet that are supposed to be really good: The Wrestler and Gran Torino.

I agree with Andy: Overall this year was beyond pitiful for movies and scores as well.

Castile

#7 Post by Castile »

I think '08 may be the first year I didn't set foot in a movie theater once. There's a couple of end-of year releases I'm interested in (Frost/Nixon, Milk, Valkyrie) but two of them probably won't show up down here, and the third has, I think, already played. So, I'll wait for the DVDs.

As for a movie I saw for the first time on DVD in '08 that I loved, I'd say "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day." Throwback to screwball antics of the 30s with wonderful performances by Frances McDormand and Amy Adams.

What are yours, JS?

JSWalsh

#8 Post by JSWalsh »

Castile wrote: What are yours, JS?
Before I can tell you, I'll have to see some 2008 releases. :D

I'm almost as bad off as you in terms of theater-going. Believe it or not by default my favorite new 2008 release is IRON MAN, which is also my least-favorite new 2008 release. Sigh.

My favorite pre-2008 release I saw for the first time last year was MR. ARKADIN.
John