Fox Picks Up NARNIA Franchise, Redies Third Entry

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Fox Picks Up NARNIA Franchise, Redies Third Entry

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

As I speculated last month Fox is picking up rights to the NARNIA franchise as they often work with Walden.

This is a wise move by Fox, no question. CASPIAN might've been a disappointment theatrically but if DVD sales were solid they still could make a fortune off the remaining entries in the series. The first movie was a massive hit.

As Nikki says, Disney might regret it -- and I agree.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/f ... -narnia-3/

JSWalsh

#2 Post by JSWalsh »

I agree that this seems like a good move. When you look at the grosses, it's obvious there's a huge audience for this; costs have to be managed in order to make it profitable, but that's doable. Although i didn't see the second and didn't like the first, I have heard that the problems people had with the second involved too many battles and FX--people would like more character and story. That's cheaper than more battles, although it takes more creativity at the script stage.
John

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

It reminded me a bit of THE TWO TOWERS, which was basically one big three-hour battle, just not as good. Same sort of thing.

The release date was also the problem this time, an early May release with LOADS of competition and a lot of kids not out of school yet was not a wise move.

I would imagine they'll go back to a Christmas release plan like the original for this next entry.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

This is excellent news.

Disney is going to regret it I think.

The theater performance at the box office have been very good for these films but they've been booms on the home video market. In total, they're roaring successes.

I'm a fan of these Narnia films so I'm definitely looking forward to this. I agree that it would be wise for them to angle this towards a Christmas release as well.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

CASPIAN's grosses are still terrific worldwide...

Domestic: $141,621,490 33.7%
+ Foreign: $278,027,623 66.3%
= Worldwide: $419,649,113

...though down sizeably compared to the first movie...

Domestic: $291,710,957 39.2%
+ Foreign: $453,300,315 60.8%
= Worldwide: $745,011,272

JSWalsh

#6 Post by JSWalsh »

The first one didn't do anything for me, though I know I'm not the target audience. It is obviously part of the post-LOTR tide, but it lacked the simplicity and innocence I remember from the book. It was like the makers were going for both the LOTR and POTTER audiences, whereas the original book seemed to much smaller in scale, more personal.

I didn't care for the score to the first one--Gregson-Williams seems to have the chops but doesn't often let 'er rip in his scores--but I like the second one, which has more memorable thematic material. (I liked his low key approach to KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, though that temp track from 13th WARRIOR made me long for...well, you know.)
John

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

JSWalsh wrote: (I liked his low key approach to KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, though that temp track from 13th WARRIOR made me long for...well, you know.)
You mean it sticks out like a sore thumb? LOL :D
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Here's the full story...Fox is cutting the budget down (no big surprise), and they also mention the 2nd book's story was supposedly the least appealing of the whole series.

And it's happening fast -- all the cast is coming back and they're looking to shoot this summer, which is a wise move, for a release next year. Richard LaGravenese writing and Michael Apted directing are also major assets IMO. Hopefully someone else will be on-hand to provide the music!

Fox to develop 'Narnia'
Walden Media finds post-Mouse partner

One month after Disney decided to pull the plug on co-financing the third movie in Walden Media's "Chronicles of Narnia" series, Walden has found a new partner in 20th Century Fox.

Fox, which was entitled to first crack at "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader" after Disney dropped out because of the shared Fox Walden marketing and distribution label, has made a commitment to develop the project. The two sides are still working out budget and script issues, but the hope is to shoot the film at the end of summer for a holiday 2010 release through the Fox Walden label.

Fox 2000 will spearhead development and production matters from the Fox front. Topper Elizabeth Gabler had pursued the "Narnia" franchise but was beaten out by Walden. The Century City studio seems to be an ideal fit for the "Narnia" books given that it's been looking for a family-friendly, lit-based franchise for years -- Fox 2000's "Eragon" failed to catch on with audiences and died after one installment.

Fox and Walden will split production and P&A costs for "Dawn Treader," which is projected to go into production at a $140 million budget. That's considerably less than the $215 million or so spent on last year's "Prince Caspian," which was considered something of a box office disappointment as compared with the first "Narnia" pic, 2005's "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" ($419 million vs. $745 million worldwide, respectively).

Still, "Caspian," which is considered the least commercially appealing of the seven C.S. Lewis "Narnia" novels, ranked No. 10 in global box office performance last year. "Dawn Treader" is considered to be a more family film-friendly book, and the goal is to get back to the magical aspects present in the first "Narnia" pic but mostly absent from "Prince Caspian."

Ultimately, Fox's commitment to the summer start date is contingent upon Walden's selection of a writer. Richard LaGravanese penned the most recent draft that both Walden and Fox were happy with, but there's a question about his availability because he has been adapting Sara Gruen's bestseller "Water for Elephants" for Fox 2000.

After budget and script concerns are settled, Fox and Walden are expected to greenlight the film. The intention is to move the production away from Mexico, where, ironically, it was going to be shot at the Fox-owned Baja facility called Rosarito used for "Titanic" and "Master and Commander." "Dawn Treader" will instead likely shoot in Australia because of concerns for the drug violence and kidnappings that are taking place near Baja.

Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes and Georgie Henley are reprising their roles as Caspian, Edmund and Lucy, respectively. New to the production is Will Poulter ("Son of Rambo"), who will portray Eustace Clarence Scrubb. Pic is being directed by Michael Apted, with Mark Johnson and Andrew Adamson producing.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... id=13&cs=1

Eric W.

#9 Post by Eric W. »

John Johnson wrote:
JSWalsh wrote: (I liked his low key approach to KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, though that temp track from 13th WARRIOR made me long for...well, you know.)
Yeah, because it's so much better than the rest of the film's music.

Paul MacLean

#10 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Richard LaGravenese writing and Michael Apted directing are also major assets IMO. Hopefully someone else will be on-hand to provide the music!
I'm with you on that! Narnia with David Arnold -- that would certainly add an arresting dimension which is missing from the first two films.

Harry Gregson-Williams' score kept me from embracing the previous Narnia movies as much as I would have liked. All throughout both films I ached for the kind of thrill I used to get from classic fantasy scores by Herrmann, Goldsmith, Williams, et al. But the movie lacked that melodic boldness and colorful orchestration which made those composers' scores so memorable. Hopefully David Arnold will be on board and hold to that tradition, as he did so memorably in StarGate.

While I otherwise liked The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, I did not care for Prince Caspian as a film. However Dawn Treader is a much more interesting story -- a sea voyage which takes them to all sorts of fascinating, magical islands.

Richard LaGravenese's involvement is also very promising.

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson »

Eric W. wrote:
John Johnson wrote:
What, an average Goldsmith action cue? lol

Eric W.

#12 Post by Eric W. »

John Johnson wrote:
Eric W. wrote:
John Johnson wrote: You mean it sticks out like a sore thumb? LOL :D
If you say so.

John Johnson

#13 Post by John Johnson »

Eric W. wrote:
John Johnson wrote:
Eric W. wrote: Yeah, because it's so much better than the rest of the film's music.
If you say so.
I believe I did.

JSWalsh

#14 Post by JSWalsh »

John Johnson wrote:
It wasn't an action cue at all, actually.

I think that cue worked marvelously at that point in KOH. It had this subdued longing that was perfect for a "call to arms" moment.

Even though I kind of liked the low-key approach, as I sit here I can't recall a note of the score. But while thinking of that Goldsmith cue, I can actually picture the scene.

So average Goldsmith trumps pretty much everyone working at the top of their form for me.

David Arnold? (shudder) :P
John

Eric W.

#15 Post by Eric W. »

JSWalsh wrote:
John Johnson wrote:
It wasn't an action cue at all, actually.

I think that cue worked marvelously at that point in KOH. It had this subdued longing that was perfect for a "call to arms" moment.

Even though I kind of liked the low-key approach, as I sit here I can't recall a note of the score. But while thinking of that Goldsmith cue, I can actually picture the scene.

So average Goldsmith trumps pretty much everyone working at the top of their form for me.

David Arnold? (shudder) :P
I personally couldn't agree with you more but I think your points are falling on deaf ears figuratively.

Even supposedly "average Goldsmith" would be an upgrade in this situation and frankly, most other situations in today's film music world. It's especially a given with any of these Media Ventures clones that you could literally leave in a temp track of supposedly "average Goldmsmith" and still come out way ahead in the end.

I have no idea where the David Arnold love comes from. For me he was a two hit wonder: Stargate especially and then Independence Day.

In an attempt to actually get this thread back on topic: I'm sure Harry Gregson-Williams will come back to score Dawn Treader and provide us another tragically blown oppurtunity of Media Ventures style forgettable wallpaper background in what will otherwise be a very good film.