Domino falls

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Carlson2005

Domino falls

#1 Post by Carlson2005 »

I knew this one was a loser when I first saw that awful "I am a bownntay. Huntahrr" trailer, followed by its constantly changing release date, but only pulling in $4.67m in it's popening weekend? That's got to hurt. :roll:

You know, this is shaping up to be a pretty good year after all: a good Batman movie, a promising new Bond, a Michael Bay film becoming the big flop of the summer, Timothy Hines' very public nervous breakdown and Tom Cruise finally going totally Tonto (maybe , and now this... War of the Worlds is cursed?), and now this... :D

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

That trailer was the worst I've seen in years.

I'm surprised it even made $4 million. The star (one of your faves Trevor!) cannot carry a movie herself in the states -- and the ad campaign, not to mention the whole look of the movie, was nothing short of repellent.

The worst news of all is that Tony Scott said his frenetic, A.D.D. "directorial style" in DOMINO is the very same approach he'll be bringing to THE WARRIORS remake. Ugh...is it too late to pull the plug on that one? I'll be sure to stay far, far away.

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

Tony Scott is one of the few directors who are reason enough for me to NOT watch a movie. There is not a single movie I even like a little bit from this man. The trailer for DOMINO was so godawful I couldn't believe it. Especially as it was obvious that the whole movie will look like that. I just wonder how such a movie gets done... the editors must get headaches...

Im really happy to see that this sensory overkill by Scott and Bay gets what it deserves: Dismissed by the audience.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

Good.

Tony Scott really has gone overboard with that frentic style of his. You used to be able to watch a movie of his, right on up through True Romance, and not feel like you're being forced on some psychedlic hippie drug trip.

Watching his movies now literally gives me headaches and makes me feel ill. That's before we even get to the actual content. ;)

Keira is not someone that I can see being a lead yet. I like her, but I suspect that she was woefully miscast for this thing.

I'm sure she'll fare much better in Pirates 2 and 3.

Which MV grunt got the scoring chores on this? I'll bet that thing's a mess.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Roman: I've had enough of Tony Scott as well. I think he's only gotten worse over the years. MAN ON FIRE was basically unwatchable.

Eric: Kiera may eventually have "the goods" but I think she's far too young to carry a movie, much less one like this.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

romanD wrote:Tony Scott is one of the few directors who are reason enough for me to NOT watch a movie. There is not a single movie I even like a little bit from this man.
That's overstating it a tad. There are a handful of Scott movies I've enjoyed quite a bit, particularly True Romance (although a lot of that is attributable to the terrific Quentin Tarantino screenplay and the brilliant cast), Crimson Tide, and the guilty pleasure The Last Boy Scout. It's only in recent years, when Scott has attempted to out-Bay Michael Bay with his hiccupy visual saturation and randomly shifting frame rates (kicking into overdrive beginning with Enemy Of The State, although I still enjoyed that movie as an undemanding programmer) that his films have become unwatchable (and yes, there's narry a single thing I enjoyed about the hideous Man On Fire). Hopefully, the box office imposion of Domino (less than five million opening weekend! :shock: ) will let Scott know that his hyper-stylized overkill visual approach is no longer "hip" or "cool" but just seems like the overcompensatory stylistic doodlings of an aging genre technician. He should take a cue from older bro Ridley and take his ritalin (as Ridley has on more visually sedate recent projects like Matchstick Men and Kingdom Of Heaven).

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
romanD wrote:Tony Scott is one of the few directors who are reason enough for me to NOT watch a movie. There is not a single movie I even like a little bit from this man.
That's overstating it a tad. There are a handful of Scott movies I've enjoyed quite a bit, particularly True Romance (although a lot of that is attributable to the terrific Quentin Tarantino screenplay and the brilliant cast), Crimson Tide, and the guilty pleasure The Last Boy Scout. It's only in recent years, when Scott has attempted to out-Bay Michael Bay with his hiccupy visual saturation and randomly shifting frame rates (kicking into overdrive beginning with Enemy Of The State, although I still enjoyed that movie as an undemanding programmer) that his films have become unwatchable (and yes, there's narry a single thing I enjoyed about the hideous Man On Fire). Hopefully, the box office imposion of Domino (less than five million opening weekend! :shock: ) will let Scott know that his hyper-stylized overkill visual approach is no longer "hip" or "cool" but just seems like the overcompensatory stylistic doodlings of an aging genre technician. He should take a cue from older bro Ridley and take his ritalin (as Ridley has on more visually sedate recent projects like Matchstick Men and Kingdom Of Heaven).
Judging from the interview he gave about THE WARRIORS, Jack, it sounds like we're DEFINITELY going to be in for more of the same. I don't have the link on me but in the interview I read, he even specified some sequence in DOMINO that will be "reflective" of his entire visual approach on THE WARRIORS....though perhaps the failure of this movie will cause him to have second thoughts?

Carlson2005

#8 Post by Carlson2005 »

AndyDursin wrote:Judging from the interview he gave about THE WARRIORS, Jack, it sounds like we're DEFINITELY going to be in for more of the same. I don't have the link on me but in the interview I read, he even specified some sequence in DOMINO that will be "reflective" of his entire visual approach on THE WARRIORS....

Great, just what the world needs - another action movie where you can't see any of the fucking action because the director's too busy showing off. It's not even as if the original Warriors was that good to begin with.

Carlson2005

#9 Post by Carlson2005 »

They'd better not be counting on overseas to pick up the slack - it opened in the UK at, er, number seven despite a huge marketing campaign. Wallace and Gromit took number one with 19 times more money, and it even got beaten by Lord of War, Kinky Boots (second week), Pride and Prejudice (fifth week), Oliver Twist (second week), and even Serenity (second week)... and yes, I am gloating. 8)

MikeJ

#10 Post by MikeJ »

Tony Scott films generally make me upset these days... Way too much Shaky Cam and choppy editing. I used to really enjoy his films. REVENGE is still a favorite of mine, although I don't think it has a satisfying ending. And I will always love THE LAST BOY SCOUT. It still has one of the best screenplays. Every single element introduced in it gets paid off in one form or another by the end of the picture. TRUE ROMANCE also remains a favorite but there's something really unpleasant about Gandolfini's character slapping around Alabama that keeps me from watching the film too often. CRIMSON TIDE, ENEMY OF THE STATE, SPY GAME, all enjoyable. I had high expectations for MAN ON FIRE but was not happy with the end result. Too much Shaky Cam, too much choppy editing and I still don't understand the need for all the subtitles. And I was really unhappy about the Denzel character being killed off at the end... If you're going to put your character through that much, there is no good reason not to have him live at the end of the picture. I was really looking forward to DOMINO but I haven't heard a single good thing about it. And hearing that it has more Shaky Cam, choppy editing and another damn scene at the end where everyone is in a room pointing guns at each other just frustrates me and makes me feel old! DOMINO seemed like such a great premise and it sounds like it's been wasted.
Mike Joffe

Carlson2005

#11 Post by Carlson2005 »

And the carnage continues...

It's dropped out of the US top ten entirely in its second weekend (despite the number ten film only making $2.4m), has opened extremely badly in Japan (the worlds second biggest market) at number seven, and it didn't even manage to break into the top ten at all in Mexico, where it opened at number twelve with only $90,000, which is low even for Mexico... :twisted: