STAR TREK Official Thread -- Reactions *Spoilers*

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
JSWalsh

#181 Post by JSWalsh »

AndyDursin wrote:
As I said before, for the TNG fans, or people who weren't so much into the old show, I can understand how they'd find it "silly". But this is more what STAR TREK is to me, than any of the franchise's later entries or shows.

IMO, Abrams "got it," and I also agree most of the people who don't care for it are hard-core Trekkies who wouldn't have accepted anything he would've done. Frankly, I think it's their loss. It may not be perfect, but this movie is exceptional for the type of entertainment that it is.
Well-said. I can't recall the last time I really enjoyed a Hollywood summer flick the way I enjoyed this. But that's not enough for some people, I guess, though I haven't seen a lot of negativity about this movie, have you?

One thing I find truly silly is the Next Generation, a tedious and pretentious show, being seen as the successor to a show that was very accomplished at what it was trying to do--entertain.

I think the very last time I leafed through an issue of Cinefantastique was when they had an article calling NG "The best-written show on television." I laughed and put the mag back on the newsstand and that was it for that magazine. It expressed the mindset of a group of people I knew through someone else. Oddly enough, these same people were into "graphic novels" while I was reading these "novels" and "literature" and yet I was unsophisticated, I guess, because I wasn't reading the latest issue of Batman Gets Depressed or whatever.

You've touched on the fundamental issue for me. Something that wears a serious suit of clothes isn't serious, and that was NG for me--it said "Look how adult we are, we talk about serious issues!" And yet it addressed those issues in the most simplistic, self-congratualtory and tepid ways. When the show was good was when it was closest to the spirit of the original show. Of the episodes I saw, there were some that made me think the creative team had its act together--and in each case, the show was different, because it was not trying to be Serious Science Fiction, but a fun and exciting story, well-told. It doesn't have to be about endless action, it has to be about characters we enjoy going on adventures--sitting around in the captain's room blabbing about how we all have to get along isn't my idea of fun, and guess what? The makers of Star Trek aren't going to teach me anything I don't already know, and they're not going to make the world better, at least not by lecturing their audience (and merely reflecting back their own beliefs at them--that's what most "dangerous" television does, anyway, it's only "dangerous" and "challenging" to those the established audience looks down on, never to that audience).

The unpretentious fun of the original meant that when these characters got "serious" in certain episodes it broadened their experiences, made them better characters--it didn't just stop the adventures dead to blab for twenty minutes, or to engage in meetings and politics, like the episodes of the newer shows which made me bail, or try for deeeep characterizations which fail when you're talking about robot people. (Roddenberry and company were so fascinated with the Data guy becoming human--I couldn't give a damn about that, and it was not handled in the efficient, interesting way Spock's problems in the original show were, but in these endless soap opera theatrics about "What does it mean to be human????" Well, it doesn't mean you're a machine, and why are we even discussing this, unless you're trying to use it as a metaphor for how we treat some folks as 'non-people"--again, something the viewers of course don't do, so the whole Data thing is more self-congratulation, ahhhh, wouldn't the world be great if Those Other People (white guys...unlike the white guy trekkies) treated everyone the way *I* would treat Data? Wow, challenging stuff for the "best-written show on TV.)

And the fans lapped this stuff up, to the point where Paramount kept shoveling these shows on the air and into theaters, thinking there would be an audience. Sorry, but you don't assign Stuart Baird or a TV actor to direct your movie if you respect the property, you do so to crank out a replay of something that worked once decades ago and don't want anything too "original" happening.

Abrams is unashamed to make a FUN space adventure. I found the NG characters--ALL of them--such terrible bores. Could you imagine any of them in this current movie, doing those things? There is more humanity in the first meeting between McCoy and Kirk than in all of the NG movies, with their stiff characters spouting cardboard dialogue.

These are space movies about the fun of running around with ray guns while embodying basic moral values--love of planet/country, individual initiative, things the NG folks found appalling in their boring, inoffensive, One World worldview. That the aging fans have gobbled up three decades of deadly dull pretentious junk because Star Trek has a "philosophy" and is "about something" and don't you dare mess with "canon" Paramount! probably means Paramount didn't do this back in 1979, when they probably should have. Since then, what have we got that was entertaining--maybe a total of six hours or so of the original cast in three movies? The fans were so infatuated with the idea of the original cast--most of them poor actors--shuffling through their roles so we could pretend we could go home again that they couldn't see or wouldn't admit that the movies got away from the original show's formula, and the subsequent shows showed Roddenberry was really full of this "I'm creating a philosophy of the future!" silliness.

What's really silly is pretending a space show is really serious drama. That drained what was genuine and special about the original show and replaced it with pretentiousness and stiffness because no one wanted to admit these people were too old, and couldn't really act very well in the first place--UNLESS they were TV actors playing melodrama--and that we liked this show originally not because it preached Los Angeles New Age politics, but because there were hot alien chicks for Kirk to bed down when he wasn't blasting space monsters and outwitting devious villains with funky ears or goofy outfits.

There's nothing silly about admitting a show is "just" a fun adventure that entertained millions, without pretending to be more than "just" that.

I MUST have liked it--look at how much verbiage I've wasted on Star Trek, fer pete's sake! :shock:
John

AndyDursin

#182 Post by AndyDursin »

Well-said. I can't recall the last time I really enjoyed a Hollywood summer flick the way I enjoyed this. But that's not enough for some people, I guess, though I haven't seen a lot of negativity about this movie, have you?
No, in the grand scheme of things, the film has been widely accepted, extremely well reviewed and audiences are responding to it big-time. Most of the naysayers seem to come from the Complaint Factory -- the net -- and especially hard-core Trek fans who really nitpick this aspect or that aspect or say "this part didn't work." I don't seem to recall them doing the same for the TNG films -- I think GENERATIONS and FIRST CONTACT are much more flawed in a number of capacities, from their direction (can we forget the interminable outerspace shootout in FIRST CONTACT that felt like it went on for half an hour?) to numerous narrative issues. That's not to say I wasn't entertained by those movies, but they certainly weren't held up to the same level of scrutiny as this film.

Paul MacLean

#183 Post by Paul MacLean »

JSWalsh wrote: Of the episodes I saw, there were some that made me think the creative team had its act together--and in each case, the show was different, because it was not trying to be Serious Science Fiction, but a fun and exciting story, well-told.
How many episodes of TNG did you see? I saw just about all of them, and found TNG to be often "fun" and "exciting". To be sure, the first two seasons of TNG had problems, and many awkward episodes (and the films with the TNG cast didn't really measure up to the series' best episodes).

But after an awkward first two years the show really hit its stride in its third season, and was in many ways superior to TOS. It wasn't preachy (for the most part), it had action, it definitely was fun, and crossover appeal with a lot of people who weren't die-hard sci-fi fans.

I personally found the characters (and the actors who played them) more interesting that those of TOS -- in particular Patrick Stewart (of whom I was a fan before TNG, and who was one of the reasons I started watching the show).

I grew up on TOS, but have to say I really am more a fan of TNG.

mkaroly

#184 Post by mkaroly »

Actually, I liked TNG more than TOS (which I grew up on). Both sets have their merits, but I thought TNG had more characters with a wider range of personalities that enabled the show to be more interesting. I like both sets of series, but I prefer TNG.

AndyDursin

#185 Post by AndyDursin »

I've always been a TOS guy. Patrick Stewart might have all the classical training in the world, and he's a fine actor, but he never had the warmth and charisma Shatner generated as Captain Kirk -- for me at least. It's one of those cases where Stewart is a far better actor than Shatner -- how can you argue against that -- but I just look at GENERATIONS as a case where that movie never comes alive until Kirk shows up. When he does, Shatner takes over the screen and holds it more than Patrick Stewart ever could as a leading man. I'm not saying I don't think Stewart is terrific, but it is evidence that the Picard character never generated that same level of audience identification with audiences, nor was embraced by them anywhere to the same degree. Picard was certainly respected and admired, but I don't think the character was loved as much as Kirk. (Let's put it this way -- why is there a sentiment to bring Shatner back in a new movie? Even if it doesn't happen, and it probably won't, the fact it comes up points to something. I can't see anywhere near as many people caring if Picard ever comes back -- there's no real sentiment on that level for the character in comparison).

We're in danger of veering off course here, but as I wrote when I first saw the movie, the more a fan of TNG you are, the less you will like the new TREK film. And that's something I can respect, and understand. For me, this movie was more in line with what I like about the old STAR TREK -- the sense of adventure, character interplay, humor, and less of a reliance on sterile technology and occasional pretentiousness -- and therefore worked for me more than anything I saw in the TNG series or features.

That's just my two cents, as they say. The experience varies for everyone, but when I see people saying "I don't understand what all the fuss here is about," I think it's a case of those folks not understanding why this movie is appealing to a lot of viewers more in tune with TOS than TNG.

mkaroly

#186 Post by mkaroly »

There are things I really liked about TNG movies. However, overall they squandered opportunities with such a rich character base. I understand some of the comments about the "seriousness" of TNG and how STAR TREK totally went back to that fun, adventurous sci-fi ride that TOS consistently provided, and I agree. However, watching the new movie made me wish that Berman and his gang had given TNG cast more to work with and better FILMS....not extended TV epsidoes. TOS films were able to go beyond TV episodes into feature films that stood apart on their own. You could have put any of TNG movies into a season on TV and no one would have known the difference.

Anyway, I'm still "beaming" (lol...sorry) about STAR TREK and my enjoyment of it has not diminished. Looking forward to the second film. Let's hope they can keep the momentum going.

AndyDursin

#187 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed completely Michael that the TNG cast didn't get the opportunity to make an imprint with their movies. FIRST CONTACT is a film that is generally cited as being the only one really comparable with the best of the TOS movies, and I like it, but there are also some elements of it I never cared for (the interminably long "action" scene outside the ship which felt like it went on forever). It's good, but it's not THE WRATH OF KHAN.

The other films all have major drawbacks for me at least. GENERATIONS is well shot and fairly entertaining, if a little uneven. INSURRECTION was positively sleepy, serving up a "who cares" plot, a forgettable villain, and a fine Goldsmith score that's the best thing about it. NEMESIS was a big disappointment. Compared to the worst of the TOS films (III and V), I'd rather watch STAR TREK V than NEMESIS and INSURRECTION again, in spite of Shatner's installment's problems. And TMP, while flawed, possesses a cinematic sweep none of the TNG films come close to approximating.

What they should have done is try and give the TNG cast an arc the way STAR TREK II-IV functioned, instead of simply doing one-shot movies. A "borg trilogy" or a story that encompassed a couple of films anyway would've been the way to go, but they didn't have the foresight to go that direction.
Last edited by AndyDursin on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSWalsh

#188 Post by JSWalsh »

Andy, I agree with every word you wrote. The thing about Shatner vs. Stewart is the difference between star power/charisma and acting. It's a little like comparing a more literary writer with Stephen King--I won't argue that King (back when I enjoyed him) was a GREAT writer, but I own more books by King than I do many writers I KNOW are "better".

Of course one can't argue taste, and that's not what we're doing here. I just was so incredibly bored by the NG episodes I saw, and I did see a good--20-40, maybe? Those good episodes gave me hope.

But while I can laugh at the poor quality of some original show episodes, they had interesting characters doing interesting things. I don't know what more entertainment is supposed to be. I can't say that about the subsequent shows, and the less said about all of the Next gen movies, the better. If the names of the characters were changed, no one would respect them as anything but cardboard tedium with pretty FX.
John

JSWalsh

#189 Post by JSWalsh »

You know what's depressing? The fans calling for a Wrath of Khan remake.

As with the fans who thought it was cool when Williams reused bits of the Empire score in Sith, these ones seem to be retreating to their security-blanket childhoods before they're even out of childhood.
John

AndyDursin

#190 Post by AndyDursin »

JSWalsh wrote:You know what's depressing? The fans calling for a Wrath of Khan remake.
Completely agree. I've even seen some people gush that they should get some big-time star who could "easily outdo" Montalban in KHAN. Just like the discussion we had about Shatner and Stewart above, Montalban inhabited the role of Khan and delivered a singular performance that was absolutely sensational. They could have had Laurence Olivier in there and had that role have been a massive embarrassment (especially at his age back then).

I think a KHAN remake is the last thing they should do. Really. That story was about facing death and advancing age...it would make less dramatic sense to tell it now, and why bother? You just pressed the "reset" button, these characters are just getting to know one another, so why in the world would you do that?

Then again, it makes as much sense as the other, bash-your-head-against-the-wall rumor of Harry Mudd coming into the film -- as played by Jack Black!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

JSWalsh

#191 Post by JSWalsh »

Yeah, I read that, and seriously, if I never see another Jack Black movie, it'll be too soon. I imagine most AICN posters are a lot like him.

I hope the next movie involves them EXPLORING, and the action develops from that. This series needs to grow organically, from what works with these actors doing the characters, not just the desire to see old stuff redone in the new style. I think that's what had really hurt this series from STTMP on--the need to update. We just started, let's see what we can do that's NEW! Isn't that--or shouldn't that be--what a SF movie is about? Instead, SF is one of the most conservative, childish film genres.

I sometimes think about the idea of the Enterprise crew stopping the Kennedy assassination, and the finale being that Spock went back and killed Kennedy to set the timeline straight. There was a huge negative response. I can't say I was enthralled with yet ANOTHER time travel episode, but it certainly was an audacious idea, far moreso than any other the post-original series' have dealt with that I'm aware of. SF needs some audacity, some danger, controversy, to make it really speculative, and not just an action show with "futuristic" trimmings.
John