Jason and the Argonauts Blu-ray Announced

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Jason and the Argonauts Blu-ray Announced

#1 Post by John Johnson »

With the release of Jason on BD a couple of months away, are there any plans to release Golden Voyage of Sinbad?

Are these the same extras as the R2/R4 DVD release?

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has set July 6 as the Blu-ray release date for the 1963 mythological action/adventure movie Jason and the Argonauts, featuring visual effects by Ray Harryhausen, including a famous fight sequence between live-action warriors and a small army of stop-motion-animated skeletons.

Special features include:
The Harryhausen Legacy
Ray Harryhausen interviewed by director John Landis

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4506
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah, same slim extras as the earlier releases I think.

The fact that they're doing JASON as a standalone and not in a box set of Harryhausen movies (a la the first Blu Ray volume) is a bit disappointing. I'm guessing we won't see too many others in the near future, but I hope I'm wrong.

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Yeah, same slim extras as the earlier releases I think.

The fact that they're doing JASON as a standalone and not in a box set of Harryhausen movies (a la the first Blu Ray volume) is a bit disappointing. I'm guessing we won't see too many others in the near future, but I hope I'm wrong.
Some additional information regarding the release. A Peter Jackson and Ray Harryhausen commentraty. Might be worth buying for this alone.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a Blu-ray release of Jason and the Argonauts for the 6th July. Retail should be around $24.95. Extras will include a commentary with Peter Jackson and Visual Effects Artist Randall William Cook, a commentary with Ray Harryhausen and Film Historian Tony Dalton, never released interactive photo gallery with original storyboards, interviews with Ray Harryhausen by John Landis, and 2 featurettes ("Ray Harryhausen Chronicles", "The Harryhausen Legacy").

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... nauts.html

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Unlike the PREDATOR disaster, this disc looks beautiful! Lushly detailed, strong colors, and very interesting new commentaries with Harryhausen and historian Tony Dalton, plus Peter Jackson talking with one of his VFX guys. The latter talk is even more interesting, I feel (the Harryhausen talk is a bit dry with Dalton prompting him to divulge memories about the shooting). Trailers and older extras make this release a winner. Bullseye!

(This is my Doug Fake tribute lol).

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Unlike the PREDATOR disaster, this disc looks beautiful! Lushly detailed, strong colors, and very interesting new commentaries with Harryhausen and historian Tony Dalton, plus Peter Jackson talking with one of his VFX guys. The latter talk is even more interesting, I feel (the Harryhausen talk is a bit dry with Dalton prompting him to divulge memories about the shooting). Trailers and older extras make this release a winner. Bullseye!

(This is my Doug Fake tribute lol).
Hmm. Jason over Predator. I know which one I would choose. LOL

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

So, as predicted, no Best Buy near me has a single copy of Jason. There's no way I'm going to Barnes and Noble or Borders. Not at the extortionate prices they will be charging.

mkaroly

#7 Post by mkaroly »

John Johnson wrote:So, as predicted, no Best Buy near me has a single copy of Jason. There's no way I'm going to Barnes and Noble or Borders. Not at the extortionate prices they will be charging.
I never shop at those stores. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous; isn't Borders going under?

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

just buy from Amazon, or DVD Empire (they have an $8 off $55 code currently), or anyone online.

I havent stepped into a B&M to buy a piece of software in....actually can't remember. Why pay those outrageous retail prices??

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

Borders can be okay if you have their free membership thing because there's usually a 20%-40% discount coupon available every week that can be used on a DVD to good advantage.

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote:Borders can be okay if you have their free membership thing because there's usually a 20%-40% discount coupon available every week that can be used on a DVD to good advantage.
Yeah, but even after the 40% is taken off, it's basically the same price you can get it for on Amazon, and Amazon doesn't charge tax or shipping (if the order is above $25). I only use those coupons to knock a few bucks off of paperback books. Borders and f.y.e. are the worst place to buy DVDs and Blu-Rays ($36.95 for Kung Fu Panda?! :shock: ).

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

True, but there have been some instances where a Borders discounted price will be lower than what Amazon is selling it for. Doesn't always happen but I did keep an eye for those things.

John Johnson

#12 Post by John Johnson »

mkaroly wrote:
John Johnson wrote:So, as predicted, no Best Buy near me has a single copy of Jason. There's no way I'm going to Barnes and Noble or Borders. Not at the extortionate prices they will be charging.
I never shop at those stores. Their prices are absolutely ridiculous; isn't Borders going under?
I believe Borders has in the UK, or was due to.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Barnesandnoble.com has it for $15, which isn't terrible.

If you are a BN.com member, or have AAA membership, that would knock off a bit too.