No Ed Norton in AVENGERS -- Why the Surprise?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

No Ed Norton in AVENGERS -- Why the Surprise?

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I find this whole "controversy" over Ed Norton not being asked to participate in the AVENGERS movie to be shocking -- didn't anyone else see this coming?

The guy has a MASSIVE track record of being a diva. He's been impossible to work with and has burned bridges on almost every film he's been a part of. He can't get gigs because of his massive ego and penchant for tampering with scripts and directors and the like.

Is the guy a good actor? Absolutely. But I can't blame Marvel for not wanting to go down that road again after what happened on THE INCREDIBLE HULK (which I did like for what it was, but did have loads of issues because of Norton).

Plus, there's the fact that THE AVENGERS is an ensemble film with Downey, Sam Jackson, Thor & Captain America -- it stands to reason the Hulk will be...well...the Hulk for most of this movie.

Why do they need Norton to act like a Problem Child again and get in the way? And if he's only in it for a few minutes, why pay him all kinds of money for it too?

I know Marvel is getting this rep among hard-core fanboys for being cheap but this is one instance I would have done the exact same thing.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.a ... esponds?nc

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Too bad.

I didn't know Norton had such a bad reputation because he's a heck of an actor otherwise.

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

Eric W. wrote:Too bad.

I didn't know Norton had such a bad reputation because he's a heck of an actor otherwise.
I'm with Eric on this one....it is too bad. I have really enjoyed his performances over the years, and I really enjoyed his HULK work. Oh well...

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

The whole problem is what happened behind the scenes on THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

As I said, there's no disputing how good an actor he is -- the problem is his ego and diva like behavior. I don't think it is a stretch to say Norton has the worst reputation among any actor of his generation, and it's widely known.

He reportedly whined and complained throughout the shooting of FIGHT CLUB, wanting to change his character. He was a pain on the set of THE SCORE. He demanded portions of his ROUNDERS character be changed. He rewrote the script on the INCREDIBLE HULK while shooting was going on, then sparred with the director over the final cut of the film.

He actually refused to do publicity on the HULK as well because they gave the movie back to the director in the editing room. There was actually a lot of press about this, and he didn't come off looking good. He didn't support the movie at all, he wouldn't give interviews about it...I mean, if this was your movie, why would you want this guy back there when he did nothing but interfere in the film's production and then failed to promote the film when it was done? It's really bad form for an actor not to do press about a film they're in, unless it's a real piece of junk.

On THE AVENGERS, Marvel has a situation where Norton bailed on the HULK film, and on this movie, you can only imagine what will happen when he has to work with an ensemble cast of Downey, Jackson, etc. You can just see him being ticked off that he doesn't get enough screen time, wants to change the script so he has more to do, etc., so they made the decision to pre-empt the issues ahead of time.

And if it has to do with money, I don't blame them either. Chances are the Hulk will have more screen time than David Banner, and Downey and Jackson will have more screen time than him too.
Last edited by AndyDursin on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Here was the Marvel guy's comment on the situation...brutally honest, but let's face it, with Norton's history on HULK you can't blame them...

"Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. 'The Avengers' demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:The whole problem is what happened behind the scenes on THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

As I said, there's no disputing how good an actor he is -- the problem is his ego and diva like behavior. I don't think it is a stretch to say Norton has the worst reputation among any actor of his generation, and it's widely known.
Worse than Colin Farrel or Christian Bale? :shock:

He reportedly whined and complained throughout the shooting of FIGHT CLUB, wanting to change his character.

He was a pain on the set of THE SCORE.
I wonder how much of a pain he really was there considering DeNiro and Brando were both on that picture? I bet he couldn't get too carried away. I almost wonder if one of them maybe told him at one point: "Hey kid? Get real and get over yourself" or some such.

He demanded portions of his ROUNDERS character be changed. He rewrote the script on the INCREDIBLE HULK while shooting was going on, then sparred with the director over the final cut of the film.

Too bad. The more I look around on this the more I see a lot of mentions like this.

He actually refused to do publicity on the HULK as well because they gave the movie back to the director in the editing room. There was actually a lot of press about this, and he didn't come off looking good. He didn't support the movie at all, he wouldn't give interviews about it...I mean, if this was your movie, why would you want this guy back there when he did nothing but interfere in the film's production and then failed to promote the film when it was done? It's really bad form for an actor not to do press about a film they're in, unless it's a real piece of junk.
Now that I remember very clearly. Not cool.

On THE AVENGERS, Marvel has a situation where Norton bailed on the HULK film, and on this movie, you can only imagine what will happen when he has to work with an ensemble cast of Downey, Jackson, etc. You can just see him being ticked off that he doesn't get enough screen time, wants to change the script so he has more to do, etc., so they made the decision to pre-empt the issues ahead of time.

And if it has to do with money, I don't blame them either. Chances are the Hulk will have more screen time than David Banner, and Downey and Jackson will have more screen time than him too.

It's a happy accident in one sense: You almost had TOO much big name star power upfront here.

I guess Norton is just done with the Hulk entirely which means another reset of sorts.

Or they could just go back to Eric Bana but it looks like he turned it down, too. I don't understand that call at all. This would be pretty big for Eric and a much better movie than the thing he was in.

http://www.huliq.com/10020/hulk-not-norton-so-who

So I guess it's time to hit the reset on Hulk yet again.

Joaquin Phoenix? Matthew Fox? Adrien Brody? :? I'm not sure about some of those.

Brody I could see. Not sure about those others.

Not Christian Bale again please? He's already Batman. He's already John Connor. Don't do this.

Actually you know what? I like that Matthew Fox suggestion. Obviously anyone who has seen Lost knows the guy can act and he can bring a range of emotion. As Banner, he could definitely show us some of that angst and inner turmoil that the character is supposed to have even more than Norton did.

It also would be a huge breakthrough for Fox, taking him to the next level. It'd be huge for him.

It could work, the more I think about it. He wouldn't break the bank, either, like Phoenix probably would. Obviously Phoenix is a great actor and he could pull it off and Brody probably could pull it off, too.

Interesting.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Worse than Colin Farrel or Christian Bale?
Yes. Seriously. I don't think it's a stretch to say his rep is worse than both of them.

I don't think they've been nearly as consistently bad as Norton has been. Let's put it this way -- Bale might've had a couple of moments on a few movies, but it seems unusual when Norton doesn't have an issue on-set.
I wonder how much of a pain he really was there considering DeNiro and Brando were both on that picture? I bet he couldn't get too carried away. I almost wonder if one of them maybe told him at one point: "Hey kid? Get real and get over yourself" or some such.
That movie apparently was a disaster in production. You had Brando refusing to wear pants on the set (for real), and he was half off his rocker at the time. He also kept calling Frank Oz "Miss Piggy," which did not go over well with the director. There were also stories they had to CGI a smile on Brando's face for the end of the film because he refused to do it. No picnic there, lol!

Then Norton's ego on top of it -- and apparently he rewrote some of that script too!

Just a total nightmare from what people have said.
Or they could just go back to Eric Bana but it looks like he turned it down, too. I don't understand that call at all. This would be pretty big for Eric and a much better movie than the thing he was in.
I'm surprised they'd even consider Bana because they wanted desperately to move away from him after the first HULK movie.

I like Bana OK, but I think he's going to go down as one of the blandest leading men of this generation. He just doesn't project enough to bring charisma onto the screen, as evidenced by how many of his films he's been a lead in that have failed.
Actually you know what? I like that Matthew Fox suggestion. Obviously anyone who has seen Lost knows the guy can act and he can bring a range of emotion. As Banner, he could definitely show us some of that angst and inner turmoil that the character is supposed to have even more than Norton did.
I like the Fox suggestion too Eric. In fact I like it better than any of the other names that have been thrown about there.

And you're right, he wouldn't break the bank. Apparently Joss Whedon met with Norton and it looked like they might bring him back, but it abruptly ended. In contrast to what Marvel claimed, Norton's camp claims it's all about money. The truth is it's probably somewhere in the middle.

Fox would be ideal for the role. He's got the earnest qualities that would be perfectly suited for Banner (heck Jack Shepard was a doctor too!) and yet always that certain something is lurking underneath.

Either way, it sounds good to me. In fact I'd rather see Fox do it than have Norton return.

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

The more I think about it the more I like Fox. In fact, he's at the top of my list for the role. I'm on the Matthew Fox should be Banner-Hulk bandwagon. ;)

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:The more I think about it the more I like Fox. In fact, he's at the top of my list for the role. I'm on the Matthew Fox should be Banner-Hulk bandwagon. ;)
Joaquin Phoenix....bleeccch. I wonder if hey're going there...I hope not, lol.

Eric W.

#10 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote: Joaquin Phoenix....bleeccch. I wonder if hey're going there...I hope not, lol.
I like him in the right kind of roles...this ain't it.

Is he back to acting or is he still "pretending" to be a complete nutjob and wanna be music star?

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like it's Mark Ruffalo...not one who typically cashes the check.

As Nikki Finke points out --

Like Edward Norton, whom he'd be replacing, Ruffalo would bring real chops to the role. But, unlike Edward Norton, he wouldn't an on-set *******.

Eric W.

#12 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Looks like it's Mark Ruffalo...not one who typically cashes the check.

As Nikki Finke points out --

Like Edward Norton, whom he'd be replacing, Ruffalo would bring real chops to the role. But, unlike Edward Norton, he wouldn't an on-set *******.
Interesting. I like him. It could work.

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

I dunno..Ruffalo always comes across as pretty "weenie" in most of his roles. I don't see the neccesary, repressed rage boiling below the surface. :?