RAMBO Extended Cut - Review

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

RAMBO Extended Cut - Review

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Received the Blu-Ray yesterday. Basically the film now carries its original intended title, JOHN RAMBO, and runs about 8 minutes longer -- nearly all of it character scenes between Stallone and Julie Benz's missionary. It definitely adds more humanity to the film, which is what Sly intended, and there's also more an explicit religious tone with an extension to Ken Howard's sole sequence.

Overall I think the film is improved by the addition of these scenes -- Rambo is more demonstrative about his background to her, his motives and cynicism initially are better explained, and there's more of a connection between the two of them. Which I think helps the film, because that's the gear that sets Rambo's quest in motion to begin with.

The BD lacks all of the extras from the prior Blu, but does add a 90-minute feature length production chronicle that fans will find compelling.

This is being released on 7/27 alongside the RAMBO COMPLETE COLLECTION (Rambos 1-4, but note 4 is the prior, theatrical edition BD), plus the debuts of LOCK UP and the Mickey Rourke JOHNNY HANDSOME. All are being issued to tie in with the release of THE EXPENDABLES next month.

TomServo

#2 Post by TomServo »

Sounds intriguing, perhaps this should be the version I see when I do finally see the movie! :) I suppose this is only available on Blu-ray? I still haven't joined that crowd and so was curious if this extended cut would be on regular DVD...

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

TomServo wrote:Sounds intriguing, perhaps this should be the version I see when I do finally see the movie! :) I suppose this is only available on Blu-ray? I still haven't joined that crowd and so was curious if this extended cut would be on regular DVD...
I believe it is a BD exclusive, I don't see any DVD listing for it.

AndyDursin

Re: RAMBO Extended Cut - Review

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

$9.99 on Amazon!