Rooney Mara cast in GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (US)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Rooney Mara cast in GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (US)

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Rooney Mara (of the NFL Giants-Steelers owning families; hence her first name being taken from the other family's surname!) has got the role in GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, cast opposite Daniel Craig.

Right off the bat I think this is a major mistake; Mara has little charisma and I can see her and Craig being completely dull in this movie, coming from David Fincher and due out in 2011.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/rooney- ... on-tattoo/

Paul MacLean

Re: Rooney Mara cast in GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (US)

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

Is she an actress? Or just another Paris Hilton exploiting her economic status to become a celebrity?

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:Is she an actress? Or just another Paris Hilton exploiting her economic status to become a celebrity?
I didn't even know who she was until I read Andy's post so I'm betting on this easily.
Last edited by Eric W. on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:
Paul MacLean wrote:Is she an actress? Or just another Paris Hilton exploiting her economic status to become a celebrity?
I don't even know who she is until I read Andy's post so I'm betting on this easily.
To be honest that's not really accurate. They are actresses. By comparison, Paris Hilton managed to become a celebrity doing literally nothing, at least both Kate and Rooney Mara have worked in the industry landing work over the last few years.

Her sister, Kate, was on 24 (in a guest star stint) and a host of movies, a few times in a major role (SHOOTER with Mark Wahlberg; TRANSSIBERIAN, etc). She went to NYU and if you look over her credits, at least she's worked, seemingly, to get where she has.

Rooney's big claim to fame was starring in the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remake, where many thought she was outacted by the other female lead who's killed about 30 minutes in. So it's a bit of a baffling casting choice in going with her when so many other, highly visible actresses read for the role.

I mean, dozens of actresses read for this. Ellen Page was one of the finalists, though I tend to agree with the DHD talkbackers that she's been virtually "asexual" in her recent appearances (INCEPTION, even her TV ads for Cisco). Maybe Emma Watson might have been an out-of-the-box choice since she chopped her hair off...either way I think this casting choice was odd.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
Eric W. wrote:
I don't even know who she is until I read Andy's post so I'm betting on this easily.
To be honest that's not really accurate. They are actresses. By comparison, Paris Hilton managed to become a celebrity doing literally nothing, at least both Kate and Rooney Mara have worked in the industry landing work over the last few years.

Her sister, Kate, was on 24 (in a guest star stint) and a host of movies, a few times in a major role (SHOOTER with Mark Wahlberg; TRANSSIBERIAN, etc). She went to NYU and if you look over her credits, at least she's worked, seemingly, to get where she has.

Rooney's big claim to fame was starring in the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET remake, where many thought she was outacted by the other female lead who's killed about 30 minutes in. So it's a bit of a baffling casting choice in going with her when so many other, highly visible actresses read for the role.

I mean, dozens of actresses read for this. Ellen Page was one of the finalists, though I tend to agree with the DHD talkbackers that she's been virtually "asexual" in her recent appearances (INCEPTION, even her TV ads for Cisco). Maybe Emma Watson might have been an out-of-the-box choice since she chopped her hair off...either way I think this casting choice was odd.
It's all about who you know and the money I'm sure.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

It's all about who you know and the money I'm sure.
Oh I'm sure it opened doors, no doubt. But I can't believe it had anything to do with her being cast in a multi-million dollar franchise tentpole (hopeful) from a massive corporation like Sony, who needs the role to be cast properly so the film can rake in dollars. That would make no sense at all to do someone a favor by casting someone in a role that big.

More likely they just made an oddball and possibly misguided choice...

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Maybe Emma Watson might have been an out-of-the-box choice since she chopped her hair off...
Having read the book recently, I find it hard to imagine wholesome Hermione acting out some of the more graphic scenes in the narrative. :shock:

I like the idea of casting an unknown. Ellen Page has just been typecast as the snarky Juno type, and she already played a very similar role in Hard Candy. I have not seen the Nightmare remake (can you blame me?), so I have no idea who this girl is...although her sister is cute and a reasonably good actress.