Shout At The Devil ...........help!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
andy b

Shout At The Devil ...........help!

#1 Post by andy b »

Hi all

I have been a huge fan of this movie, since I saw it in the cinema when it first came out.

So after so many attempts at finding the original version, approx 147/ 150, depends on the intermission blocks, I gave up.

I have sitting here 4 dvds all in various ratios & lenghts, some with subtitles others without!

Now I see on Amazon that there is a copy marked as full uncut but it's $40 with the mail to Canada.

It also seems to be a Hong Kong copy? which I have no problem with as my copy of Red Sun is excellent.

Anyone out there know of this copy ? is it letter boxed & complete?

Just thought I'd ask.

regards

Andy b

AndyDursin

Re: Shout At The Devil ...........help!

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Andy I have no idea about this particular release.

The only uncut version I've seen ran on MGM-HD here in the US last year...the DVD's I've run into were cut and looked really bad.

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Andy I have no idea about this particular release.

The only uncut version I've seen ran on MGM-HD here in the US last year...the DVD's I've run into were cut and looked really bad.
Andy,
The most recent version I have seem listed seems to be on Amazon UK. That appears to be the Hong Kong release. For some odd reason, the film's ration is 4:3 and 1:33. LOL. Some interesting comments in the customer reviews, especially about the running time of the film.

I think this is the third DVD release in the UK for Shout at the Devil. Unfortunately all three are of huge disappointment to fans of this film, as they are edited versions of around 115 minutes. I hope there's someone who's willing to do this classic adventure film justice. To finally see the original 144 minutes version would be great. At this moment in time what we have is not unlike a few years back when the same versions were available on video. For a fuller print of this film, try catching this on the BBC. I recall their version running approximately 10 minutes longer.

London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

I asked a friend of mine in the UK about the running time of Shout at the Devil and I got this reply:

Any idea which region has the best version?

None - they're currently all the f***ed up US version with unsubtitled German dubbed over the battleship scenes. Luckily I have a Scope 16mm copy of the uncut version, but it doesn't look like this one will get a proper DVD anytime soon. Even the French disc, which has the wrong running time listed, is the cut one.

So, there you have it. LOL

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah John's right. For DVDs there's not much choice.

Your best bet is to see who has MGM-HD available. The print MGM-HD runs is gloriously restored and is the full 150-whatever cut.

If you have access to it (not sure it's in Canada), definitely check it out. I can't imagine there's a better version anywhere else.

Beyond that, perhaps MGM will issue one of those "on demand" DVD-Rs from that version and put it up on Amazon.

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

Some additional info about the film. The version on DVD is the shorter US two-hour cut, not the 97-minute edited version that Hemdale reissued as the second-feature to Sunburn in the UK. The British cinema was had some rather odd shorts in the 70s. Another that springs to mind are the Telly Savalas travelogue films.
I'm not kidding!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/tellysavalas.shtml

andy b

#7 Post by andy b »

Thank you John & Andy for your help on this.

Sadly where I am the MGM - HD channel is not available.

I will just have to hope that 1 day this sees the light of day.

In the mean time I can sit & watch the absolute crazy copies I already own. Kind of gives an idea of what the film could be!

By the way, the crazy double with Sunburn really was something else, I was at CIC when that hit the streets & thought great get another chance to see it, wow why bother! still Ms Fawcett I think was the main reason to !

Thanks for all your help.

regards

Andy b