Weekend Box Office 9/26 - WALL STREET Tops Again

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Weekend Box Office 9/26 - WALL STREET Tops Again

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Good holdovers for THE TOWN (liked it a lot, btw) and EASY A; the 3-D owl movie from the 300 guy (huh?!?!) did alright. I think WALL STREET "overperformed" because of Douglas and the publicity surrounding his fight with cancer...I don't think it will hold as they say.

As far as YOU AGAIN goes, I love Kristen Bell but she needs to find a new agent. She's getting typecast in these stupid comedies and nobody remembers (and few saw) her in VERONICA MARS. Needs some dramatic roles as they say.

1. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (Fox) NEW [3,565 Runs]
Friday $8M, Estimated Weekend $22.5M

2. The Town (Warner Bros) Week 2 [2,885 Runs]
Friday $5.1M (-38%), Estimated Weekend $16M, Estimated Cume $49M

3. Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls (Warner Bros) NEW [3,575 Runs]
Friday $5M, Estimated Weekend $19M

4. Easy A (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 2 [2,856 Runs]
Friday $3.8M (-44%), Estimated Weekend $11.5M, Estimated Cume $44M

5. You Again (Disney) NEW [2,548 Runs]
Friday $3.2M, Estimated Weekend $9.5M

6. Devil (Universal) Week 2 [2,811 Runs]
Friday $2.3M (-52%), Estimated weekend $6.7M, Estimated Cume $22M

7. Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 3 [2,642 Runs]
Friday $1.8M, Estimated Weekend $6M, Estimated Cume $53M

8. Alpha & Omega (Lionsgate) Week 2 [2,625 Runs]
Friday $1.1M (-50%), Estimated Weekend $4.9M, Estimated Cume $15.2M

9. Takers (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 5 [1,413 Runs]
Friday $575K, Estimated Weekend $1.9M, Estimated Cume $55M

10. The American (Focus Features) Week 4 [1,315 Runs]
Friday $400KM, Estimated Weekend $1.3M, Estimated Cume $35M

Eric W.

Re: Weekend Box Office 9/26 - WALL STREET Tops Again

#2 Post by Eric W. »

I'm looking forward to seeing WS2 myself although I don't see going to the theater for it. From most of the reviews I've gathered they didn't lay in too hard on the political soap box and given everything it's about as solid of a sequel as they probably could have done.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing WS2 myself although I don't see going to the theater for it. From most of the reviews I've gathered they didn't lay in too hard on the political soap box and given everything it's about as solid of a sequel as they probably could have done.
Sounds like it's respectable, but then again, Stone hasn't made a good movie in ages so I'm going to wait for video too. I have to believe Douglas drove the box-office, if he hadn't had his health issues I doubt this film would've opened as high. The original was a LONG time ago.

Too many other good movies out there and/or opening soon (SOCIAL NETWORK, EASY A, LET ME IN, THE TOWN, etc.) for me to give it a shot right now.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote: Sounds like it's respectable, but then again, Stone hasn't made a good movie in ages so I'm going to wait for video too. I have to believe Douglas drove the box-office, if he hadn't had his health issues I doubt this film would've opened as high. The original was a LONG time ago.
All true. I think that's what I mean when I say that given all of these things it sounds like it came out about as good as it could be.

Too many other good movies out there and/or opening soon (SOCIAL NETWORK, EASY A, LET ME IN, THE TOWN, etc.) for me to give it a shot right now.
Yup, some of these have promise.