Nicholas Meyer's VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE - $6

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Nicholas Meyer's VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE - $6

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Just saw this discounted down on Amazon.

Eric W.

Re: Nicholas Meyer's VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE - $6

#2 Post by Eric W. »

It's worth reading maybe once. That's about the most anyone should pay for it.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:It's worth reading maybe once. That's about the most anyone should pay for it.
Guessing it didn't sell that well, copies seem to be dirt cheap everywhere. What was the problem -- not particularly interesting?

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
Eric W. wrote:It's worth reading maybe once. That's about the most anyone should pay for it.
Guessing it didn't sell that well, copies seem to be dirt cheap everywhere. What was the problem -- not particularly interesting?
Not much if anything new and what's there has frankly been told a lot better by other people anyways. Meyer is well documented on a number of videos at this point as well so there just wasn't much to go with here for Trek fans.

Past that, very inopportune and (for me) too frequent political interjections and commentary that get in the way. Quite annoying. You know you're in trouble when the guy basically comes out in the first few pages and all but brags that he's basically an unabashed Marxist. I knew I was in trouble at that point.

It's a quick read so IMO it was overpriced when it came out to begin with.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Meyer has always had a massive, massive ego. Which is odd, for a guy whose directorial career outside Trek and TIME AFTER TIME is a mostly series of embarrassing disasters like COMPANY BUSINESS and the hilariously inept THE DECEIVERS.

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Meyer has always had a massive, massive ego. Which is odd, for a guy whose directorial career outside Trek and TIME AFTER TIME is a mostly series of embarrassing disasters like COMPANY BUSINESS and the hilariously inept THE DECEIVERS.
It's in the book and you can't get away from it.

As a Trek fan, it's worth you reading once and comparing his accounts of certain things to other people's accounts.

But you never get away from the "self awareness of the author" to say the least.

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

Don't forget Volunteers. Music by James Horner. I believe the tapes for this don't exist anymore? Is this true?
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

John Johnson wrote:Don't forget Volunteers. Music by James Horner. I believe the tapes for this don't exist anymore? Is this true?
Don't know but that's another score that's an instant buy if I ever see it.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

John Johnson wrote:Don't forget Volunteers. Music by James Horner. I believe the tapes for this don't exist anymore? Is this true?
You're right, I did forget. An almost completely unwatchable film. I remember when it came out in '85 I wanted to see it so bad (I was also 10), then I rented the tape and couldn't believe how bad it was. I think I tried again to sit through it at a later time, still couldn't make it.

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

Eric W. wrote:
Don't know but that's another score that's an instant buy if I ever see it.
I have the end titles on one of the Horner compilation boots. That's about all.
London. Greatest City in the world.