Holmes 2.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Holmes 2.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Stephen Fry confirmed on BBC Radio 5 Live that he's joined the cast of the upcoming sequel to last year's SHERLOCK HOLMES which Guy Ritchie is once again directing.
Fry says he's set to play Mycroft Holmes, brother of Sherlock (Robert Downey Jr.) and a key power player in the British Government. In the books Mycroft is as, if not more so, intelligent and clever at deduction than his sibling. However he has little interest in the practicalities, preferring to remain a "sedentary problem-solver".
Fry joins the returning Downey Jr. and Jude Law as Holmes and Dr. Watson respectively. Noomi Rapace, star of the Swedish- language "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" film series adaptations, was recently cast in a key female role.
The key role of the film's villain, Professor James Moriarty, has yet to be officially announced. Filming kicks off shortly in the UK for release next Christmas.

http://www.isnnews.net/
London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

Re: Holmes 2.

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Hopefully this will be a better Robert Downey, Jr. sequel than Iron Man 2 was. :(

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote:Hopefully this will be a better Robert Downey, Jr. sequel than Iron Man 2 was. :(
What was wrong with it? I liked it. It was fun.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric W. wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:Hopefully this will be a better Robert Downey, Jr. sequel than Iron Man 2 was. :(
What was wrong with it? I liked it. It was fun.
If you like two hours of moping, courtroom shenanigans, and action sequences that run about 30 seconds, then iron Man 2 must have been stimulating, but I found it a crushingly disappointing bore. What superhero movie opens with like a 20-minute courtroom scene?!

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

As for Holmes, looks like character actor Jared Harris has been cast as Professor Moriarty.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I felt the same about IRON MAN 2. Just plain tedious. I never really cared about anything that was going on, the plot wasn't interesting and there was no sense of dramatic stakes involved -- the whole thing just felt like it was coasting on the laurels of the original movie with copious ads for THE AVENGERS, THOR and everything else along the way. It made for a good trailer but 2 hours of it didn't do the trick for me.

I'm not a big fan of Favreau as a director. As I wrote in my review, this one felt more like his other failed directorial outings like ZATHURA and ELF -- just kind of a mediocre, "nice" movie with no gravitas.

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:I felt the same about IRON MAN 2. Just plain tedious. I never really cared about anything that was going on, the plot wasn't interesting and there was no sense of dramatic stakes involved -- the whole thing just felt like it was coasting on the laurels of the original movie with copious ads for THE AVENGERS, THOR and everything else along the way. It made for a good trailer but 2 hours of it didn't do the trick for me.

I'm not a big fan of Favreau as a director. As I wrote in my review, this one felt more like his other failed directorial outings like ZATHURA and ELF -- just kind of a mediocre, "nice" movie with no gravitas.
Fair enough. I guess I went in with expectations low enough that I ended up having a fun time with it.

I do think the first film was considerably superior.