POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE - An '80s Classic

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE - An '80s Classic

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

All this KRULL talk had me go back and watch a seriously good '80s film tonight - POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE with Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts as downtrodden cousins who get themselves in too deep with a failed scheme to steal mob money and waste it on a "sure thing" race horse.

I hadn't seen this film all the way through in years, but I'll be damned if it wasn't thoroughly entertaining -- flavorful, funny, heartbreaking, suspenseful, filled with atmosphere and some of the best use of Sinatra on a soundtrack possibly ever. Roberts and Rourke are both over-the-top at times, yet so believably and convincingly so that even their theatrics simply added to the picture. It's like a pre-GOODFELLAS type of character-driven study that I really enjoyed, and has attained a certain level of popularity among devotees (deservedly so I might add) too.

And rounding it off, the same year as SPLASH...Daryl Hannah...who looks vibrant in the picture too.

Eric W.

Re: POPE OF GREENWICH VILLAGE - An '80s Classic

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Vaguely heard of it. Never saw it. I'll have to remember this and try and watch it sometime.