SUPERMAN Looks for a Director

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

SUPERMAN Looks for a Director

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Let's hope Jon Hamm is Superman. Like, you know, a real honest-to-goodness "man's man" (and who's more manly than Don Draper, lol).

This list isn't too exciting -- my vote among this group is Matt Reeves, who did a nice job with CLOVERFIELD and who apparently has hit a home run with LET ME IN. I think Tony Scott is the last guy I'd want to see make this picture, which Christopher Nolan is "overseeing" as a producer with David S. Goyer writing the script.

On the list: Unstoppable's Tony Scott, Let Me In director Matt Reeves, Battle: Los Angeles helmer Jonathan Liebesman (who just got the Warner Bros/Legendary job of directing Clash of the Titans 2), Duncan Jones, who just directed Source Code, and Sucker Punch helmer Zack Snyder.

This project is being fast-tracked because...

Warner Bros and Legendary have to get the picture made by 2012, because the studio stands to lose certain rights to the iconic character in 2013 after a judge ruled favorably on behalf of the heirs of Superman creator Jerry Siegel.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/chris-n ... more-69671

AndyDursin

Re: SUPERMAN Looks for a Director

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

BTW those certain "elements" Siegel's family now controls are --

Superman's Kryptonian origins, his parents, his childhood and his arrival on Earth, Lois Lane, his Clark Kent alter-ego and most of the Daily Planet elements.

Warners/DC still owns Lex Luthor, Jimmy Olsen, Superman's "powers" (some of them), and "Kryptonite" itself.

But starting in 2013 Siegel's family can, presumably, make a Superman project with any studio they want minus those aspects. If Warners bombs with this new project like SUPERMAN RETURNS, can't say I'd blame them. 8)

TomServo

#3 Post by TomServo »

AndyDursin wrote:BTW those certain "elements" Siegel's family now controls are --

Superman's Kryptonian origins, his parents, his childhood and his arrival on Earth, Lois Lane, his Clark Kent alter-ego and most of the Daily Planet elements.

Warners/DC still owns Lex Luthor, Jimmy Olsen, Superman's "powers" (some of them), and "Kryptonite" itself.

But starting in 2013 Siegel's family can, presumably, make a Superman project with any studio they want minus those aspects. If Warners bombs with this new project like SUPERMAN RETURNS, can't say I'd blame them. 8)
Based on this breakdown of who owns what aspects, I think the Seigel family could make a better SUPERMAN movie than Warners - no Lex or kryptonite means that they could really break with story elements common to the previous movies, which would be refreshing.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

According to Heat Vision, WATCHMEN, 300 and LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS director Zack Snyder has been chosen to bring the Man of Steel back to the big screen. He'll direct a new Superman movie, which Christopher Nolan ("Inception," "The Dark Knight") is producing and David S. Goyer ("Batman Begins," "FlashForward") is writing.
"I've been a big fan of the character for a long time, he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one. It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David and Chris have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish Sucker Punch and get right at it."

http://www.isnnews.net/
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

That is unfortunate. lol.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

Looks like another all-greenscreen effort, sigh...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Even better - just what I wanted for Christmas, a Superman score by Tyler Bates! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Even better - just what I wanted for Christmas, a Superman score by Tyler Bates! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sounds like a nightmare.

I've lost all interest in this project.