Halloween Viewing Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Halloween Viewing Thread

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote:Shockingly, dvdbeaver.com had this to say about Goldsmith's Final Conflict score:

Audio & Music: 7/6
By this time, Goldsmith had lost touch with whatever muse he had for the first movie, which is to say that the score works well enough, but is on balance unremarkable and uninspired.

:?
Hey, everyone has an opinion, right?

Here's mine -- the DVDBeaver folks should stick to micro-analyzing screen grabs. Their artistic analysis leaves a lot to be desired. lol.

They probably think Marco Beltrami's score for the 2006 OMEN is better. Well I can tell you it sucks, lol!

Monterey Jack

#32 Post by Monterey Jack »

Yeah, I've seen The Blob. That one is a lot of (gross) fun, with excellent, pre-CGI effects that have held up beautifully.

I dunno...as much as I hate it when youngsters refer to movies released prior to 1990 as "old" and "dated", I often find myself cringing when I sit through a genre piece from the era of my childhood that I never saw back in the day (like the laughable Krull or the technically impressive but awfully boring Tron). Fright Night is entertaining to a point, but it really offers nothing a seasoned vampire fan hasn't seen before, and, again, both the two young leads and the villain of the piece lack charisma. Still, you're right about the genre cinema of the 80's and earlier being on average superior to the cold, sterile, joyless and cruel films that pass for "horror" these days. :?

Paul MacLean

#33 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:I often find myself cringing when I sit through a genre piece from the era of my childhood that I never saw back in the day (like the laughable Krull or the technically impressive but awfully boring Tron).
Again, I'd much rather sit through Krull than Dragonheart, Dungeons & Dragons, Eregon and yes, The Lord of the Rings movies.

John Johnson

#34 Post by John Johnson »

Paul MacLean wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:I often find myself cringing when I sit through a genre piece from the era of my childhood that I never saw back in the day (like the laughable Krull or the technically impressive but awfully boring Tron).
Again, I'd much rather sit through Krull than Dragonheart, Dungeons & Dragons, Eregon and yes, The Lord of the Rings movies.
London. Greatest City in the world.