Dances with Wolves Extended Cut Blu-ray Coming Up

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Dances with Wolves Extended Cut Blu-ray Coming Up

#1 Post by John Johnson »

According to The Digital Bits, MGM Home Entertainment, in conjunction with 20th Century Fox, will release Dances with Wolves on Blu-ray on January 11, 2011. This BD will present the extended cut of this Oscar-winning western starring and directed by Kevin Costner. Most of the previous DVD extras will reportedly be included, along with newly-produced material.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5405
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric W.

Re: Dances with Wolves Extended Cut Blu-ray Coming Up

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Nice. I haven't seen that movie in years.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Not a gigantic fan, but it'd be nice to have the theatrical version at least as an option. I'm guessing not every viewer prefers the 4 hour extended version either.

Warner UK released the theatrical on Blu-Ray btw.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

I believe the extended cut was released in France by Pathe on Blu Ray about 18 months ago with all the original dvd extras.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

John Johnson wrote:I believe the extended cut was released in France by Pathe on Blu Ray about 18 months ago with all the original dvd extras.
The movie has basically been released everywhere on Blu except here. The only differences seem to be which version, and also the quality...some of the European releases have some major problems on one end or the other (i.e. audio not being mixed properly, some video issues, etc.)

I would think if you're a big fan of the movie and want both versions, MGM's US Blu-Ray will be the way to go for the extended version, and then Warner's UK release for the theatrical.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Not a gigantic fan, but it'd be nice to have the theatrical version at least as an option. I'm guessing not every viewer prefers the 4 hour extended version either.

Warner UK released the theatrical on Blu-Ray btw.
I like that extra sequence toward the end where Costner and Graham Greene ride out to the Grand Tetons, and I thought the extra brief scene where Costner realizes that his new Indian friends enjoyed killing the white men who slaughtered the buffalo really added another level to the movie.

But all the other extra footage is superfluous, especially the scene where the soldiers abandon the fort (a subplot which is never followed-up on).

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

From what I have been told, the French release was very good

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

John Johnson wrote:From what I have been told, the French release was very good
Could have been. Though there was one release where there was no .1 subwoofer track. And then another with a problem involving the video.

Either way, with the US Blu Ray coming, there's no need to risk the expense of importing at this point.

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

MGM Home Entertainment, in conjunction with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, has announced Dances with Wolves: 20th Anniversary Edition for Blu-ray release on January 11, 2011. This western, directed by and starring Kevin Costner, received critical acclaim, winning seven Academy Awards in 1990 including Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Sound and Best Picture. The movie will be presented in its extended cut, with 50 minutes of extra footage, with a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Special features include:
Commentaries:
Kevin Costner and producer Jim Wilson
Director of photography Dean Semler and editor Neil Travis
New interactive features:
Military Rank and Social Hierarchy Guide
Real History or Movie Make Believe
A Day in the Life on the Frontier: featurette (new)
The Creation of an Epic: retrospective documentary
Original making-of featurette
Original music video
Dances photo montage with introduction by Ben Glass
Poster gallery
TV spots

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5503