If You Own the TRON DVD, Sell it...ASAP!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

If You Own the TRON DVD, Sell it...ASAP!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

The 2-disc Special edition of TRON is going for a fortune on Amazon and Ebay right now.

Disney put this OOP a year or so ago, reportedly because they didn't want younger viewers to see it, then NOT want to see TRON LEGACY because they might think it's silly and/or dated.

There is a new edition coming on Blu-Ray next year...but in the meantime fans are eating up copies, which are going from $60-$90 everywhere.

So if you've got it, move it!! 8)

Monterey Jack

Re: If You Own the TRON DVD, Sell it...ASAP!

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Disney put this OOP a year or so ago, reportedly because they didn't want younger viewers to see it, then NOT want to see TRON LEGACY because they might think it's silly and/or dated.
Which is probably true. I found it silly and dated when I Netflixed it about six months back, so the average 15-year-old would probably HOWL at it.

Still, it's very odd that Disney is throwing away a prime Christmas release date for a revamped DVD/Blu release for the original film, especially with a sequel to generate sales from the nostalgic and/or curious. I can't think of another recent sequel/remake that didn't cash in with a new DVD/Blu version of the original. :?

AndyDursin

Re: If You Own the TRON DVD, Sell it...ASAP!

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Neither can I. Based on the widespread high prices it's commanding on the secondary market, I think they made a severe miscalculation not having produced a tie-in. If there's this kind of demand, having the DVD newly re-available in a new edition (and on Blu-Ray) would've likely sold a bunch of units.

As far as TRON goes, oddly, I never liked the movie as a kid either. I remember wanting to see E.T. for the ninth time instead (literally), but my aunt and cousin dragged me to TRON and I thought it basically sucked. lol. Strangely though, I appreciate it more now, as an adult and a genre fan, mostly out of respect for being ahead of its time -- on a technical level -- and for the score and its antiquated elements like the arcade, the Journey songs, all of that. The story was always stupid and secondary to the visuals, and yet as time has gone on, I've found it entertaining to watch in widescreen and the score is marvelous, yet I can see how young viewers wouldn't care for it.

My prediction is this new TRON is going to be a whole lot more successful than the original. In fact I'm looking forward to it 8)