CARS 2 - Pixar Hits the Bottom of the Barrel

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

CARS 2 - Pixar Hits the Bottom of the Barrel

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Truth be told I've found several Pixar movies to be overpraised (WALL-E in particular), but it looks like they've finally reached a negative critical consensus with CARS 2 which is getting slammed all over the place today.

Can't say I really liked the first CARS, and since I don't have kids, seems like there's no reason to sit through this one.

Eric W.

Re: CARS 2 - Pixar Hits the Bottom of the Barrel

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Pixar really made a bad movie? :shock:

The first Cars was good fun but was basically Doc Hollywood gets animated. Good 'nuff. Not an earth shattering film.

Wall-E was excellent.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Yep. 36% on the Tomato Meter -- little more than Saturday morning TV dialogue and plot according to most reviews.

Even BAD TEACHER with Cameron Diaz is rating higher -- substantially so.

I should say -- I wasn't crazy about CARS but it wasn't awful. I thought it was OK and was mainly for kids. This one is apparently even more in that direction.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Wall-E was excellent.
I loved the character, but I hated the preachy messages and heavy-handedness of the plot. It's one thing to attack consumerism but biting the hand that pipes in billions of dollars into your merchandizing and movie making business was hypocritical and rubbed me the wrong way. I just didn't understand why there needed to be an agenda underneath that film at all.

One of the main criticisms of CARS 2 is that the Larry the Cable Guy character is the hero and most adults find him annoying beyond belief. But, he appeals to kids, so there you go.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Yep. 36% on the Tomato Meter -- little more than Saturday morning TV dialogue and plot according to most reviews.

Even BAD TEACHER with Cameron Diaz is rating higher -- substantially so.

I should say -- I wasn't crazy about CARS but it wasn't awful. I thought it was OK and was mainly for kids. This one is apparently even more in that direction.
Wow that's sad. Doesn't surprise me that they won't more kiddie. That's probably what's wrong with it, in a nutshell.

AndyDursin wrote: I loved the character, but I hated the preachy messages and heavy-handedness of the plot. It's one thing to attack consumerism but biting the hand that pipes in billions of dollars into your merchandizing and movie making business was hypocritical and rubbed me the wrong way. I just didn't understand why there needed to be an agenda underneath that film at all.

One of the main criticisms of CARS 2 is that the Larry the Cable Guy character is the hero and most adults find him annoying beyond belief. But, he appeals to kids, so there you go.
Fair points.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

There's something deeply, deeply wrong when a Dreamworks sequel like Kung Fu Panda 2 was critically praised (for the most part), and the latest Pixar movie has reviews worse than the average Adam Sandler or Michael Bay movie. :shock: I'm not crazy about the first Cars (it's the most "kiddie" of all their films, and the "all automobile" universe is just too strange to really embrace), but critics seem to be tearing into this sequel with a particularlya mean-spirited zeal that's disenheartening. I'm just depressed that Pixar's virtually flawless filmography to date has finally come to an end, and in spectacular fashion. :( It's like when The Simpsons started to suck over a decade ago...you just get used to a certain high level of quality for so long, that when the first chinks in the armor start showing, you don't only feel disappointed, you actually feel betrayed. I just thought Pixar was above whoring themselves out for some cheap bucks, but I guess they have to keep the coffers filled somehow. :?

At least we've got Brave coming up next summer to take the sting out of this one. Please, God, no more sequels after Monsters Inc. 2!

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

5/10

You sold out, Pixar...you sold out. :evil:

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Talking about sell outs, how about the confirmation TOY STORY 4 is happening?

So Pixar's upcoming slate is now MONSTERS INC. 2 (or MONSTERS INC 0 if you will), TOY STORY 4 and next year's BRAVE, which some have already pegged as "Mulan in Scotland," about a "fierce Scottish lass who doesn't want to travel down the road of royalty forged by her parents but instead wants to undertake a grand quest and become an archer."

Now THAT doesn't sound like anything we've heard before, does it?

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

The Toy Story 4 news is REALLY depressing. :( Leave well enough alone, guys! Just give us a new Toy Story short every couple of years, and we'll be happy.

I'm getting some serious "early 2000's Disney" vibes from the current slate of Pixar movies. :shock: