New Making of JAWS Book -- WOW

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: New Making of JAWS Book -- WOW

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

I will Eric! Joanne only placed the order a couple of weeks ago though, so it'll be interesting to see how many they've moved in the interim.

I really can't wait. This is, singularly, my all time favorite movie. It does not surprise me that certain elements in the film came about not because they were planned but because they were improvised on the spot -- I mean, the film turned out partially the way it did because the damn shark didn't work! That scene with Brody's son in the hospital also always made me laugh because isn't it the same guy from the beginning of the movie (who passes out when Chrissy gets eaten) wheeling him around while Mrs. Brody asks him about the ice cream?

Eric Paddon

#17 Post by Eric Paddon »

No, not if I'm going by the book in which that actor, who was a local, recalls all of his scenes and he just talks about filming the discovery of the body on the beach and then getting called back a month later to film the party on the beach scene where he chases her and then passes out. He doesn't mention being part of that scene.

The book makes a distinction as to which actors were locals and which were professional SAG members from Boston brought in for certain parts. Thus, we don't get to hear the recollections of the two fishermen in the breakaway pier scene because they were Boston SAG, though we do hear a lot about the technical set-up from the locals on the crew.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting. I always thought it was the same guy...must have been a dead ringer for him with the same hair!

Eric Paddon

#19 Post by Eric Paddon »

Everyone was looking that goofy in the mid-70s. :)

He mentioned his own improvised bit was the line about going to Trinity College, as an in-joke to a couple friends of his who did go there.

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Got here! #980! :shock:

I'm surprised they haven't made mention that they're close to moving the 1000 copy allotment...unless they're just going to do another run perhaps?

Fantastic package. Can't wait to sit down this weekend (how appropriate on the 4th of July!) and enjoy it, along with watching my HD download of the movie itself. 8)

Eric Paddon

#21 Post by Eric Paddon »

That's quite a lot of movement! :) Glad you got hold of one of the last copies and will be interested in your thoughts.

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

I'll post some more when I get a chance to look through it this weekend. My initial impression is just what you said Eric -- it's even more impressive, comprehensive and beautifully designed than I ever expected. The information covered, the pictures they included, the mix of old articles with new interviews -- it's just gorgeous!

Can't wait to REALLY dive into it! 8)

Eric Paddon

#23 Post by Eric Paddon »

And I have to admit given the presentation of material, I'm more relieved having a hardcover version because a softcover one would get a broken spine very quickly from me!

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:And I have to admit given the presentation of material, I'm more relieved having a hardcover version because a softcover one would get a broken spine very quickly from me!
The hardcover was the whole reason I wanted the LE myself. The DVD and the hull fragment -- nice to have, but not worth the extra $$. Having it in hardcover when it's going to get a lot of use, however, definitely was worth it.

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

They said there are just a couple of hundred books left. If I got 980, what does that mean??

I mean, who cares, but either they made a mistake on my copy or they pressed more than 1000 (which is my best guess).

Eric Paddon

#26 Post by Eric Paddon »

If someone else has another #980 does that mean one of you doesn't have an authentic piece of the Orca? :D

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah no kidding!

They were also kind enough to send me a copy of the softcover for review purposes too.

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

Review...hope I did it justice :)

http://www.andyfilm.com/8-16-11.html

Eric Paddon

#29 Post by Eric Paddon »

That sums it up perfectly! The point that I think is the most fascinating is how the locals improvised so many bits that ended up in the final film.

That and the Blu-Ray player were my best mega-purchases of the summer. :)

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

There's a 2nd edition coming in a couple of weeks from Titan. Just received a press copy -- it has a new foreword from Steven Spielberg, several additional pages of photos, Carl Gottlieb and Joe Alves interviews, and some other stuff. Haven't gone through the whole thing yet but will take a closer look later. I believe it's only in softcover even though there's an ISBN for a "Collectors Edition" from Titan in the book copyright info...