CAPTAIN AMERICA - The Other One - On Blu-Ray/DVD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

CAPTAIN AMERICA - The Other One - On Blu-Ray/DVD

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Just in time for the release of the new movie, Albert Pyun's terrible (yet terribly entertaining) "21st Century Pictures" adaptation of CAPTAIN AMERICA is getting released on Blu-Ray and DVD this month from the director himself in a Director's Cut edition. To avoid legal problems it's being called a "bonus feature" to a "Commentary/Autograph" package he's releasing himself...and when I say "himself," I truly mean HIMSELF. I guess he even burns the discs for you!

MGM is also (officially) offering the theatrical version as part of its own Manufactured on Demand collection, but Pyun himself is self-releasing his Director's Cut on DVD ($24) and Blu-Ray ($35) with the DVD packaged inside. Quality is supposed to be varied from a 35mm workprint but I'm told it's pretty solid for the most part (though they are calling the Blu-Ray a "bonus disc" technically I suppose to lower expectations and again for legal reasons).

Here's the press release I received earlier from Cynthia Curran who handles Pyun's titles -- I can only say if you are a Marvel completist, this movie is at least much better than the unreleased "Fantastic Four" film from the early '90s that Constantin turned out to fulfill contractual obligations, and I'd recommend jumping on it in the event that Marvel gets wind that he's releasing it on his own!

Albert Pyun announces a CAPTAIN AMERICA:Director’s Cut Region Free Blu-Ray disk as a bonus feature to his CAPTAIN AMERICA Commentary (DVD) and autograph. Also included is Pyun’s Film, LEFT FOR DEAD: Inferno Version, on DVD. The extended director’s cut includes additional scenes, never seen before – approximately 13 minutes more footage). The film is transferred from a 35mm work print to HD but it’s not "true HD" because it was not transferred from the original negative
and there are visible splices. The picture quality is far superior to Albert Pyun’s previous director’s cuts.

This offering will ship orders through July 13, only. After that Albert is driving across the country to screen “Tales of an Ancient Empire” and Captain America: Director’s Cut in Austin,TX (Alamo Drafthouse), Louisville, KY (FrightNight Fest/Con and Fandom Fest), Montreal, Ca (Fantasia Film Fest), followed by Honolulu, HI. on August 7. Orders after July 12 will be pre-orders for mid-August shipping.

Two DVD plus one Blu-Ray Set

COST To US $35.00. - free shipping
To Canada $35.00 - free shipping
To International destinations $38.00 - free shipping

The other two disks are DVDs in a DVD case with the attached DVD case art. Purchaser of the Set that includes the Blu-Ray disk will receive a digital file for Blu-Ray case art. Also see attached in lo res.

Orders for DVD set with the Blu-Ray feature disk Blu-Ray sets will ship Tuesday/Wed, July 13. Orders on July 11 or later, will be pre-orders for mid-August shipping.

Click on the link below to order and fill in the correct amount for your destination. Include your name and address and the one line personal message you want from Albert Pyun, or any instructions for your order. You will find this on the ‘review’ page of your order.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... EYV85ATQN8

Monterey Jack

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA - The Other One - On Blu-Ray/DVD

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

Comments from Albert Pyun about his Captain America film:

Yes, I made a poorly funded effort back in 1989 for 21st Century Films. The film was taken away from me when my cuts began emphasizing character over super hero action (which was expensive back in pre-CGI days).

I'm remastering my Director's Cut and re-doing the soundtrack in 5.1. It will be out in May with virtually every scene restored as it was in my final cut.

Can't say if my Captain America Director's Cut is better but its definitely WEIRDER and more subversive. It really deals with the issue that Steve Rogers discovers, that he was a hero and super soldier WITHOUT the drugs. That those qualities are within him and it doesn't take a uniform and shield to make him super heroic. That's what Rogers explores in my DC. That's why those scenes were removed from the 1990 release version.

There's a great scene where the character played by Tommy Lee Jones in the new version and Michael Nouri in my version, decades later tells Rogers that the super soldier was always in him (Rogers). Implying that the serum was really a super charge placebo. And what made Rogers unique and why he was the only super soldier was because he was the only real Captain America in his heart and soul. that other super soldier candidates failed because the serum's enhancement warped their sense of right and wrong and they went bad.

Hope you will like my subversive take on the CA myth.

No, I wallked away from the movie in 1990 with my own copy of the 35mm workprint and 35mm fullcoat two track which we are expanding to a 5.1 soundtrack and with the permission to exploit MY cut only as settlement for stepping aside without a big litigation battle.
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#4 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

I read that one guy's comments -- sounds like he did get the wrong version. Anyway I rolled the dice and picked up the Blu Ray version so we'll see what it's actually like.

The movie is agreeably terrible for bad movie fans. I still wonder how a Channel 56 Boston WLVI-TV microphone ended up in one of the movie's white house briefing scenes! :lol: