rate the last movie you saw

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: rate the last movie you saw

#826 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:And always, the insightful commentary from Monterey Jack on LEGEND. :lol:

Oh, I could go on for HOURS about how much I loathe this movie. Tommy Cruise as the Jolly Green Midget...! :lol:

Monterey Jack

#827 Post by Monterey Jack »

The expression... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...the bubbles... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyDursin

#828 Post by AndyDursin »

It's a fantasy film. You know -- with elves? Goblins? Like, what exactly were you expecting? Do you crack wise on THE DARK CRYSTAL too because it has elves in it? Oh no, it's an elf, it sucks! lol.

I don't know, seriously, how anyone give 1/10 to a film that houses one of Goldsmith's all-time best scores, or has those visuals. Myself, I reserve 1/10 for absolute dreck like GAMER or SAW VIIIIIIIIIII or BLAIR WITCH 2. Films with no redeeming value whatsoever.

Monterey Jack

#829 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:It's a fantasy film. You know -- with elves? Goblins? Like, what exactly were you expecting? Do you crack wise on THE DARK CRYSTAL too because it has elves in it? Oh no, it's an elf, it sucks! lol.
No, because The Dark Crystal was good. It is not silly or overproduced, and it had an actual sense of danger and atmosphere, not just the doodles of unicorns and fairies on a twelve-year-old girl's Trapper Keeper circa 1985 transcribed into an incoherent, tissue-thin screenplay. Plus, it wasn't nearly as obviously setbound as Legend, with a far more impressive use of actual locations and matte paintings to suggest an entire fantasy world, instead of the same three or four fiberglass trees Scott kept moving around.
I don't know, seriously, how anyone give 1/10 to a film that houses one of Goldsmith's all-time best scores, or has those visuals. Myself, I reserve 1/10 for absolute dreck like GAMER or SAW VIIIIIIIIIII or BLAIR WITCH 2. Films with no redeeming value whatsoever.
Some movies just rub you the wrong way, and you can't really justify why (The Mummy Returns and Angela's Ashes I also despise). There are some exquisite visuals in Legend, but just as many insipid ones (BUBBLES!!! WHY?!), and Scott has little grasp on how to generate an "innocent", broadly naive atmosphere. Superman: The Movie has moments that make my adult self chuckle in derision, but at least there, it's good-natured chuckles.

Paul MacLean

#830 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:Plus, it wasn't nearly as obviously setbound as Legend, with a far more impressive use of actual locations and matte paintings to suggest an entire fantasy world, instead of the same three or four fiberglass trees Scott kept moving around.
Is The Wizard of Oz an awful movie because it is "obviously setbound"?

Anyway The Dark Crystal uses very few locations. Other than the shot of Jen climbing Gordale Scar and scrambling down the hillside (and few brief shots of the mystics on their journey), it was all done on sets and backlot.

And Legend in fact does have a few exteriors -- the scene of Lili approaching and singing to the unicorn was shot outside, and some shots of the goblins were done at Black Park.

Besides, many traditional fairy tales are set entirely in "magic forests". That's kind of the point of the genre -- hundreds of years ago people lived in fear of woodlands, places where one could get easily lost and which were believed to be the habitation of elves, goblins and demons.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, Scott originally wanted to shoot Legend in Yosemite National Park (which would have looked amazing) but it proved impractical.

Monterey Jack wrote:There are some exquisite visuals in Legend, but just as many insipid ones (BUBBLES!!! WHY?!)
Because they add to the aesthetic and atmosphere of the film, just like the "pointless" searchlights in the lobby of J.F. Sebastion's apartment building, or the odd reflections on the wall behind Dr. Tyrell or the graduated filters in Thelma & Louise.

To me, the real "why" of this discussion is why did you rent and re-watch a film you so completely loathed the first time you saw it?

AndyDursin

#831 Post by AndyDursin »

Quick thoughts:

ADJUSTMENT BUREAU 8/10
A real nice surprise -- not a Bourne-esque chase/pursuit picture as the trailers suggested, but a romantic sci-fi tale with terrific chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. John Toll's terrific cinematography makes NYC sing, the story is satisfying and a terrific change of pace from the usual action fare.

SOURCE CODE 6.5/10
Decent but mostly unremarkable sci-fi thriller with Jake Gyllenhaal plays out like Groundhog Day-meets-Twilight Zone. I liked the ending (which eschewed a big action climax in favor of more emotional, character driven beats), but Politically Correct elements and predictability weigh it down.

RANGO 7.5/10
ILM's first animated movie boasts some gorgeous animation, humor aimed at adults, and terrific character design -- I liked it better than most CGI kiddie fare I've seen in a while for that reason. It almost all comes together, but regrettably a limp ending sours the fun just a little bit.

AndyDursin

#832 Post by AndyDursin »

HORRIBLE BOSSES 7/10

Fairly funny, if slight, ensemble comedy did well at the box-office this weekend -- it never becomes hilarious, but after a slow start, there are enough laughs to satisfy. Also, despite a few raunchy jokes, the tone of this one isn't nearly as "gross" as a few other R rated comedies of late, and any film that has a SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS joke is worth a few points with me.

Paul MacLean

#833 Post by Paul MacLean »

Apocalypse Now

Still powerful after all these years (especially on Blu-ray). This is a film which has a lingering effect (unlike pretty much everything made today). What is also striking is the film's highly artistic style of photography -- which is the antithesis of how movies are shot these days. If Apocalypse Now were made today every single shot would be hand-held and all the action sequences done with "shakeycam". Yet the film's photography is smooth and steady, even beautiful, with exquisite use of lighting and often-shallow depth-of-field -- which only enhances even the violent, frenetic action scenes. A stark and refreshing contrast to the lazy "documentary realism" which pervades EVERYTHING made today. More filmmakers need to watch this film.

Hellboy

Fun, but at times goofy. Ron Perlman is what carries the film, and his outstanding performance completely sells the character.

Eric Paddon

#834 Post by Eric Paddon »

Well, I watched my first three Blu-Ray films on my new player!

61* (2001) 9 of 10.
-A truly outstanding period recreation about a great event in baseball history. I wish Billy Crystal had toned down the language though, because to me that overindulgence prevents an otherwise great film from being something you can share with a young baseball fan to get him interested in the game and its history. The other flaw that develops with hindsight is the framing device of McGwire's 62nd HR. Seeing it today after watching the film unfold, it literally makes one think more negatively of McGwire than ever for what he did.

-It's also interesting to me how this film has multiple connections with other good baseball history movies. Donald Moffat (Ford Frick), had previously been Jacob Ruppert in the 1991 "Babe Ruth" TV movie (superior to the Goodman one). Chris McDonald (Mel Allen) was later Joe DiMaggio in "The Bronx Is Burning" and Joe Grifasi, after playing the Scooter, Phil Rizzuto in this film also returned in "Bronx Is Burning" to play Yogi.

The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three (1974) 9.5 of 10
-A classic on all levels. The Blu-Ray alas lacks a simple main menu screen as far as I can tell and makes it tricky just to access the trailer (the lone bonus feature). Watching it this way, I noticed how for the scene of the police car flipping over, you can see not just the crowds lined up on the street who are staring with the aura of "Let's watch them film a movie!" but you can also see more clearly people lining the upper story windows of overlooking buildings to watch too. The film is excellently cast on all levels and why ANYONE thought this could be remade not once, but twice no less had to be out of their minds. The film works best in its time, the era of mid-70s NYC decline amidst the decay of a city that had lost its way completely.

Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow (2004) 7 of 10
-The film misfires on a few levels (like the never-defined nature of the Bai Ling "Mysterious Woman" henchlady) but it still has a lot more basic charm than say, Jackson's "King Kong" which would later do much of the same thing on a bigger and more pretentious scale in terms of giving us a period CGI rendering of New York City and a mysterious island realm.

Paul MacLean

#835 Post by Paul MacLean »

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

A good solid effort, which offers further insight into Voldemort's origin. Nevertheless it is probably the weakest film in the series (certainly the the one with the ugliest photography). All of David Yates' Potter outings lack the scope of the first four, and have a less-epic, almost "TV movie" quality. Gone too is much of the humor and charming aspects of Hogwarts (the lady in the painting, the moving stairs, Nearly Headless Nick and the other ghosts, etc.). Nicholas Hooper's score was good, but too understated for me, and lacked the boldness of Williams' scores. Biggest problem is the lack of a real emotional payoff at the climax (considering what happens).

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (pt. 1)

An vast improvement over Half-Blood Prince, visually superior (and far-better shot). A bit slow at times though, and its leisurely pace compromises the dramatic tension -- this film could easily have lost about 15 minutes (and that scene where Harry and hermione dance together doesn't work at all). The climax is terrific however (and does deliver a strong emotional payoff this time). Alexandre Desplat's score is serviceable, but bland and unmemorable. But overall, of all Yates' Potter films, this one is the best.

Off to see Part 2 tomorrow....

AndyDursin

#836 Post by AndyDursin »

A friend asked me if I wanted to see the Deathly Hallows Part 2 today...I hate to admit it but I'm just not into it.

Hope you Potter fans enjoy it though :) I'll leave it to you guys and check it out on Blu Ray in a couple of months.

mkaroly

#837 Post by mkaroly »

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES (1971) - 6/10. What I liked most about this film was that they went back to the book and took a few pieces out of it to make a much better film than BtPotA. In the book it is Ulysse and Nova who have a child and are assisted in getting off the planet and back to Earth before the government can eliminate the threat of a human baby that can talk. I liked what they did with the council (another reversal from the book though the basic idea was the same), and Cornelius' chilling recitation of how apes came to dominate humans is also faithful to the book. I also have to give credit to McDowell and Hunter for great acting. Montalban was awesome too...lol...but the film is incredibly dated and loses some of its momentum in its attempts to insert political/social statements. It almost seems cartoonish at times. The Blu-Ray looks great and Goldsmith's score is sparse but effective.

HUSBANDS AND WIVES (1992) - 6/10. I used to love this film quite a bit; I enjoyed the hectic camera movements and how dark and sinister the humor was. And to an extent I still enjoy this film as Mia Farrow's last performance with Allen before the Soon Yi controversy. I think the film is still funny at times, especially in its depictions of dysfunctional relationships. But at the end I felt the ultimate "winner" was Gabe as he chose not to sleep with Rain and took the "high road"; he was the one person who seemed to be the least deceptive. Judy Davis gave an outstanding performance; I think Farrow was the least likeable character in the movie because of her passive aggressiveness as Sally. Ultimately Allen's Gabe was the least selfish whereas everyone else was out for themselves, even in the end.

MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY (1993) - 10/10. This is my all-time guilty favorite Woody Allen movie and is second only to CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS. I remember seeing this in the theater and laughing through the whole thing; my gut hurt when I walked out of the theater. The acting and dialogue in this film seem so free, natural, and unscripted, and Allen being reunited with Diane Keaton was a stroke of genius. Admittedly some of the scenes with Alan Alda slow down the film a bit, but that really doesn't matter to me. I love the premise of the film, the dialogue, the acting, the setting...it looks like they had a great time making it. I could feel Diane Keaton's performance and the freedom her character was experiencing; Allen built suspense well towards the end and I could go on and on but I won't. This was his last really great film for me and he has yet to top it. CaM and MMM are the two I will remember him most for after he stops making films.

Paul MacLean

#838 Post by Paul MacLean »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (pt. 2)

I didn't have the highest expectations for this one -- I found the previous David Yates outings to be rather sedate and dispassionate. But this final film was fabulous! It gets off to a bit of a slow start, but once things start rolling it has everything that was missing from the last several films -- a truly epic scale, excitement, thrills, great character development and genuine heart. The fact that this is probably Rowling's best book didn't hurt the film either.

It still has some of the "Yates-isms" I've never cared for -- most notably the dark, washed-out photography (I'll never understand why Yates continually eschews the vibrant style of photography of the earlier films -- especially Roger Pratt's) and Alexandre Desplat's score is serviceable but thematically bland and dramatically sedate (there is even an important scene near the end which really needed music, but was not scored).

How I wish John Williams had written the music for this this film. If he had, I think it would probably be my favorite of all the Potter movies. However I was thrilled to hear Williams' "Leaving Hogwarts" used intact over the final scene, and "Hedwig's Theme" (yes, Williams' original arrangement) over the end credits!

Eric Paddon

#839 Post by Eric Paddon »

Dr. No (1962) 9 of 10
-It certainly looks great in Blu-Ray! This was also the first one I watched on a bigger screen which the portable player hooks up nicely to if I so desire. It's great to start with a film you know so well because then you can marvel at all the extra detail. And in watching it, it's kind of interesting to think of how this film was made with no sense that Bond would become a phenomenon.

Planet Of The Apes (1968) 9.5 of 10
-Also looks great in Blu-Ray. And frankly seeing a good film look this much better now makes it impossible for me to ponder giving the sequels another look, ever. I really got a kick out of that "message from ANSA" thing they created for the supplements because honestly, if you watch it before watching the film it's like getting all the necessary backstory filled in and enables one to enjoy the rest of the movie on a deeper level (especially when watching the conversations between Taylor and his fellow astronauts as they trek through the desert).

AndyDursin

#840 Post by AndyDursin »

t's great to start with a film you know so well because then you can marvel at all the extra detail.
That's the great thing about Blu-Ray, and watching movies in HD, Eric. Not that every BD transfer has that level of detail (there are a few clunkers out there), but by and large the majority offer an appreciable upgrade over DVD that most trained eyes can detect :)