John Carter - Trailer.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

John Carter - Trailer.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

Re: John Carter - Trailer.

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Not sure what I was expecting, but it looks like PRINCE OF PERSIA 2 by way of STARGATE. The guy's costume looks just like Gyllenhaal's!

Unimpressive...

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

Looks completely dumb and unoriginal. I will not find my destiny with this movie...lol...I'll look elsewhere. :)

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

The trailer is only okay, but director Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Wall*E) is a SOO-PAH genius, so I'm cautiously optimistic (plus, potentially a sci-fi Thomas Newman score to look forward to).

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Animation and live-action are two different things though. That trailer gives off a strong COWBOYS AND ALIENS vibe...I don't find the visual scheme appealing whatsoever and it's an Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi fantasy that OUGHT to have a unique look to it. Instead it looks like every other movie out there with a lead character who looks like he walked off the set of the Conan remake.

The title change (which now means absolutely nothing to anyone), the total absence of a cast...I fear Disney is going to have another MARS NEEDS MOMS spring box-office dud on their hands (granted, it'll do better than that even if it tanks-- but basically ANYTHING would! lol).

esteban miranda

#6 Post by esteban miranda »

Monterey Jack wrote:The trailer is only okay, but director Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Wall*E) is a SOO-PAH genius, so I'm cautiously optimistic (plus, potentially a sci-fi Thomas Newman score to look forward to).
I believe Giacchino is already slated for this.
As a long-time fan of Burroughs Mars novels I'm merely cautious. Not getting too worked up, this movie property has been kicking around Hollywood for many years, but my expectations are so low I might end up liking it ok.
If it ends up resembling other recent movies, I probably wouldn't notice as I don't visit the cinema very regularly, preferring instead to watch DVDs at home.

TomServo

#7 Post by TomServo »

AndyDursin wrote:Animation and live-action are two different things though. That trailer gives off a strong COWBOYS AND ALIENS vibe...I don't find the visual scheme appealing whatsoever and it's an Edgar Rice Burroughs sci-fi fantasy that OUGHT to have a unique look to it. Instead it looks like every other movie out there with a lead character who looks like he walked off the set of the Conan remake.

The title change (which now means absolutely nothing to anyone), the total absence of a cast...I fear Disney is going to have another MARS NEEDS MOMS spring box-office dud on their hands (granted, it'll do better than that even if it tanks-- but basically ANYTHING would! lol).

Salient point regarding the title... Perhaps Disney dropped the OF MARS perhaps to avoid any confusion with MARS NEEDS MOMS or worried that parents might think it is animated film for their kids, but in the process it sounds as nondescript as LARRY CROWNE.

Have we reached a point with genre films that the tropes and cliches are so well-worn that nothing can seem unique? Even when adapting a classic novel?

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Perhaps Disney dropped the OF MARS perhaps to avoid any confusion with MARS NEEDS MOMS
Excellent point TS, that probably was the reason!