BATMAN BEYOND & Other Animated DC Series

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

BATMAN BEYOND & Other Animated DC Series

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Over the last few months I recently picked up the BATMAN ANIMATED SERIES DVD box sets...I'd seen a few episodes here and there and enjoyed them, but wanted to really become acquainted with the series on DVD. Much to my surprise this series really is as good as its reputation suggests -- excellent writing truly does make it as much fun for adults as it is for kids.

Warner just sent me BATMAN BEYOND and TEEN TITANS, the former which I've already begun to sample (and find highly entertaining as well), the latter I'm not at all familiar with.

Any comments on these shows? Anything to look for?

Monterey Jack

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'm a rabid fan of all the Paul Dini/Bruce Timm animated superhero shows, from Batman: TAS to Superman (neck-and-neck with the original Richard Donner film as the "definitive" interpretation of the character) to Batman Beyond (sounded like a terrible idea at first, but surprisingly inventive and clever). These guys "get" these characters perfectly, and the vivid animation and excellent voice work (plus Shirley Walker & company's exemplary musical scores 8)) on all these shows puts most live-action suerhero flicks to shame. Once you've familiarized youself with the BB series, Andy, you should check out the feature-length movie Return Of The Joker (in the unrated version or not at all), which is really spectacular and thrillingly dark. I've only sampled Teen Titans a few times, and while it's okay, it's much sillier than the other shows, with more of that "trendy" Japanese anime style in the character designs. I've also been underwhelmed with what little I've seen of the Justice League series on Cartoon Network, which re-casted Superman's voice (Tim Daly was excellent on the Superman series, and hearing another guy voicing Supes just seemed "off" to me). I'll probably buy the first season set coming up on the 21st and give it another shot, though.

EDIT: Plus, the Superman series has the sexiest version of Lois Lane ever. :D
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Jack thanks for the comments, I appreciate them! I've watched the first 4 BB episodes....and I plunked down a few bucks for RETURN OF THE JOKER (Unrated) and the other Batman "features" just today (I noticed Walmart has the BATMAN/SUPERMAN MOVIE for $4.88).

I'm not a huge anime fan but I know what you are saying about TEEN TITANS -- it seems most new Cartoon Network shows have that so-called "edgy" design that is meant to copy anime, Powerpuff Girls, etc...

What do you think of this "THE BATMAN" series? I haven't read too many positives about it so far.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:What do you think of this "THE BATMAN" series? I haven't read too many positives about it so far.
Ugh. :evil: While the Dini/Timm series respected the character, eschewing silly Schumacher gimmicks in lieu of genuine detective work (something that has yet to manifest itself in any of the live-action Bat-movies) and plausible pseudo-science, The Batman is teh suk. The animation designs are ghastly (from the same studio that made the entertaining Jackie Chan Adventures series), the stories trite, the voicework overwrought (like Tom "Spongebob Squarepants" Kenny as The Penguin...yuck!), and the plots are crammed full of gadgets and vehicles that seem more concerned with selling toys than furthering the stories. I gave up on the show after the first two or three eps. Unless you get it for free, don't bother.

As for the Batman/Superman Movie, that's basically three episodes of the Superman series stitched together (although the single-disc release of those eps is superior to their presentation on the Superman vol. 2 set, as you don't have to sit through the opening credits sequence at the beginning of each ep) Along with ROTJ (that's Joker, not Jedi :wink: ), it's one of the best Batman/Superman stories, with the two teaming up to take on Lex Luthor and the Joker (and with Bruce Wayne trying to romance Lois Lane right out from under dweeby Clark Kent's nose!). A terrific movie, highly reccomended. Also see Mask Of The Phantasm if possible, with one of Shirley Walker's greatest scores. :D

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:What do you think of this "THE BATMAN" series? I haven't read too many positives about it so far.
Ugh. :evil: While the Dini/Timm series respected the character, eschewing silly Schumacher gimmicks in lieu of genuine detective work (something that has yet to manifest itself in any of the live-action Bat-movies) and plausible pseudo-science, The Batman is teh suk. The animation designs are ghastly (from the same studio that made the entertaining Jackie Chan Adventures series), the stories trite, the voicework overwrought (like Tom "Spongebob Squarepants" Kenny as The Penguin...yuck!), and the plots are crammed full of gadgets and vehicles that seem more concerned with selling toys than furthering the stories. I gave up on the show after the first two or three eps. Unless you get it for free, don't bother.

As for the Batman/Superman Movie, that's basically three episodes of the Superman series stitched together (although the single-disc release of those eps is superior to their presentation on the Superman vol. 2 set, as you don't have to sit through the opening credits sequence at the beginning of each ep) Along with ROTJ (that's Joker, not Jedi :wink: ), it's one of the best Batman/Superman stories, with the two teaming up to take on Lex Luthor and the Joker (and with Bruce Wayne trying to romance Lois Lane right out from under dweeby Clark Kent's nose!). A terrific movie, highly reccomended. Also see Mask Of The Phantasm if possible, with one of Shirley Walker's greatest scores. :D
They sent me review copies of BATMAN BEYOND and TEEN TITANS (hopefully JLA is on its way). THE BATMAN I'd have to buy, so I will skip that one for sure :)

I loved MASK OF THE PHANTASM, clearly Shirley Walker's shining moment...

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Jack, so if I have the SUPERMAN ANIMATED SERIES sets (which I have but haven't fully watched), I don't need to pick up that SUPERMAN/BATMAN MOVIE DVD?

I just received RETURN OF THE JOKER today -- alas it's the cut version :( Thankfully the Amazon Marketplace seller responded back, apologized, and said I could keep the DVD and they'd sent out the Uncut version today with no problem.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Jack, so if I have the SUPERMAN ANIMATED SERIES sets (which I have but haven't fully watched), I don't need to pick up that SUPERMAN/BATMAN MOVIE DVD?
First off, call me Monty. :wink: Secondly, the three episode that comprise the "World's Finest" movie are on the Superman vol. 2 set, but it's not a terribly convenient way to watch all three back-to-back, with the full opening and ending credits on each ep, plus a 24-esque "Previously on Superman!" recap at the beginning of the second and third eps. I decided to hold onto the "movie" release of the three eps just for the more cinematic (and uninterrupted) viewing mode, even if the Superman vol. 2 set has commentary by the producers on part one of the trilogy.
I just received RETURN OF THE JOKER today -- alas it's the cut version :( Thankfully the Amazon Marketplace seller responded back, apologized, and said I could keep the DVD and they'd sent out the Uncut version today with no problem.
It would actually be an interesting experiment to watch the uncut version first (whenever it arrives), then follow it with the edited version, just to see how badly it got butchered by the brass at Warners home video. :evil: I watched the cut version first, and enjoyed it, but when I saw the uncut version a few years later, it was so much improved with the extra PG-13 bits (especially in a pivotal flashback scene, which is utterly ruined in the cut version). They really wrecked it by removing much of the darker elements.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Jack, so if I have the SUPERMAN ANIMATED SERIES sets (which I have but haven't fully watched), I don't need to pick up that SUPERMAN/BATMAN MOVIE DVD?
First off, call me Monty. :wink: Secondly, the three episode that comprise the "World's Finest" movie are on the Superman vol. 2 set, but it's not a terribly convenient way to watch all three back-to-back, with the full opening and ending credits on each ep, plus a 24-esque "Previously on Superman!" recap at the beginning of the second and third eps. I decided to hold onto the "movie" release of the three eps just for the more cinematic (and uninterrupted) viewing mode, even if the Superman vol. 2 set has commentary by the producers on part one of the trilogy.
It would actually be an interesting experiment to watch the uncut version first (whenever it arrives), then follow it with the edited version, just to see how badly it got butchered by the brass at Warners home video. :evil: I watched the cut version first, and enjoyed it, but when I saw the uncut version a few years later, it was so much improved with the extra PG-13 bits (especially in a pivotal flashback scene, which is utterly ruined in the cut version). They really wrecked it by removing much of the darker elements.
Sorry Monty ;)

I will indeed check it out, since the old JOKER DVD isn't worth much, I won't bother re-selling it.

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

So Andy, update us on the whole Return Of The Joker thang...did you finally receive the unrated cut in the mail, and, if so, what'd you think? I just finished the Batman Beyond set tonight (five-episode marathon! 8)), and have onto Justice League, which, while fun so far, really suffers from the cheap, tinny synth scores. :cry: Why couldn't they afford an orchestra for this show?

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:So Andy, update us on the whole Return Of The Joker thang...did you finally receive the unrated cut in the mail, and, if so, what'd you think? I just finished the Batman Beyond set tonight (five-episode marathon! 8)), and have onto Justice League, which, while fun so far, really suffers from the cheap, tinny synth scores. :cry: Why couldn't they afford an orchestra for this show?
Yes, fortunately they shipped me the uncut at no extra cost and didn't want the theatrical back. UN-fortunately I haven't had enough time to watch it, Monty, but I will get back to you asap (I'm getting married this summer so time has been a real issue, especially with selling my fiancee's condo and getting THAT already too!).

I did watch most of the BATMAN BEYOND set and really enjoyed it. JUSTICE LEAGUE I sampled less of, but still enjoyed that too -- though I fully agree, the scores are quite a comedown. I guess made-for-Cartoon-Network also means a small reduction in quality too? :?:

Between BATMAN BEGINS and SUPERMAN RETURNS, are they working on anything new series-wise to coincide with that release? I've seen JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED talked about, is that a Dini-Timm product as well? (and any good if so?).

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Yes, fortunately they shipped me the uncut at no extra cost and didn't want the theatrical back. UN-fortunately I haven't had enough time to watch it, Monty, but I will get back to you asap (I'm getting married this summer so time has been a real issue, especially with selling my fiancee's condo and getting THAT already too!).
Hey, congrats on the upcoming nuptuals, m'man. 8)
I did watch most of the BATMAN BEYOND set and really enjoyed it. JUSTICE LEAGUE I sampled less of, but still enjoyed that too -- though I fully agree, the scores are quite a comedown. I guess made-for-Cartoon-Network also means a small reduction in quality too? :?:
The show's other production values don't seem noticably skimpier than the previous Dini/Timm shows, so the lack of an orchestra to play the scores is baffling. It's the one really glaring strike against the series.
Between BATMAN BEGINS and SUPERMAN RETURNS, are they working on anything new series-wise to coincide with that release? I've seen JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED talked about, is that a Dini-Timm product as well? (and any good if so?).
From what I can gather, JLU is basically the same show as JL, only re-titled. I've only seen the episodes on the first JL disc, so I can't be certain. And since The Batman was obviously designed to cash in on the theatrical release of Batman Begins, I wouldn't be surprised if a cheapie new Superman show was created to piggyback on the new Bryan Singer movie.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Yes, fortunately they shipped me the uncut at no extra cost and didn't want the theatrical back. UN-fortunately I haven't had enough time to watch it, Monty, but I will get back to you asap (I'm getting married this summer so time has been a real issue, especially with selling my fiancee's condo and getting THAT already too!).
Hey, congrats on the upcoming nuptuals, m'man. 8)
The show's other production values don't seem noticably skimpier than the previous Dini/Timm shows, so the lack of an orchestra to play the scores is baffling. It's the one really glaring strike against the series.
From what I can gather, JLU is basically the same show as JL, only re-titled. I've only seen the episodes on the first JL disc, so I can't be certain. And since The Batman was obviously designed to cash in on the theatrical release of Batman Begins, I wouldn't be surprised if a cheapie new Superman show was created to piggyback on the new Bryan Singer movie.
Thanks Monty! I'm sad to see, though, that the high-caliber, first-rate production given to BATMAN and SUPERMAN (the Animated Series) has been kiboshed seemingly in favor of what I've read about THE BATMAN. We'll have to see what Warner has in store, but I'm thinking these DVD box sets are as good as we'll ever get for small-screen super-hero adaptations (though I would like to see the '90s SPIDER-MAN Fox cartoon get released sometime!).

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

BTW, on June 20th, Warner Bros. will release a direct-to-DVD animated Superman movie titled Braniac Attacks which is from the Dini/Timm team, and, I believe, will feature Tim Daly returning to voice Supes. 8)