The horror, the horror...Halloween movies '11

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
mkaroly

Re: The horror, the horror...Halloween movies '11

#31 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:Personally though I'd rather watch the Langella DRACULA which I enjoy for Williams' score and Gilbert Taylor's cinematography. It deviates from the book a great deal but, frankly, I'd rather watch its deviations than Coppola's.
While I didn't like DRACULA much at all as a film, the makers of that film and Langella made it clear that they were trying to infuse a sexuality/sensuality into the character and basically make him a tragic romantic figure of sorts (if I remember what the documentaries said/implied correctly). They didn't even try to do the Bram Stoker novel, so in that sense I'm fine with it. And Williams' score is sweet...

I do agree with you on the visual look of BSD...it was epic!

Monterey Jack

#32 Post by Monterey Jack »

Silence Of The Lambs (1991): 10/10

Despite all of the crass sequels and prequels and rip-offs and parodies, Jonathan Demme's film still retains its power to chill and disturb.

Monterey Jack

#33 Post by Monterey Jack »

Halloween (1978): 9/10

Unlike Silence Of The Lambs, Halloween has had some of its power drained by an endless parade of sequels, remakes, and rip-offs (I find it hard to supress a giggle when one character confidently announces "I'll be right back!" after an enthusiastic bout of boinking), but it's still damn effective.

Monterey Jack

#34 Post by Monterey Jack »

Halloween II (1981): 7/10

Not-bad sequel in that Jaws 2 / Damien: Omen II / Psycho 2 tradition of being deeply unnecessary, yet a lot better than it needed to be to make money. At least it still has that gorgeous, early 80's Carpenter / Cundey look and some reasonably good suspense. The "Michael is Laurie's brother" retcon is stupid, though.

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Not-bad sequel in that Jaws 2 / Damien: Omen II / Psycho 2 tradition of being deeply unnecessary, yet a lot better than it needed to be to make money. At least it still has that gorgeous, early 80's Carpenter / Cundey look and some reasonably good suspense. The "Michael is Laurie's brother" retcon is stupid, though.
The Blu-Ray looks great. I never liked the Michael-Laurie connection (almost certainly spurred on by Empire Strikes Back) and the hospital scenes go on FOREVER...but it's not terrible.

Monterey Jack

#36 Post by Monterey Jack »

The Fog (1980): 7/10

While not Carpenter's best film (although leagues better than the crappy remake with Clark Kent and Shannon from Lost :lol: ), it's probably his best-looking film, and I hope to see it on Blu-Ray eventually.

AndyDursin

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

Agree totally on THE FOG. A flawed movie but an atmospheric one that keeps me coming back in spite of its obvious drawbacks.

Whatever you do, DON'T import the European Blu-Ray which has a soft, bland transfer with almost no detail (you can see this on Netflix streaming btw). I've mentioned this before but the US HDTV broadcast comes from an entirely different print and looks 100 times better. I hope THAT version ends up on Blu domestically one day.

Monterey Jack

#38 Post by Monterey Jack »

From Hell (2001): 9/10

Literate, engrossing (and just plain gross) fictionalization of the Jack the Ripper murder spree of the late 1880's, with one of Johnny Depp's best "straight" performances and superb production values (the Blu-Ray looks marvellous, even if -- like a lot of 20th Century Fox Blus -- it's missing most of the extra features from the 2-disc DVD set). Had it been released post-POTC, it might have been a Se7en-sized hit.

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

Excellent film MJ, I agree. I'm overdue for another viewing of that one.

I also concur, had it been released now, it would've likely been a much, much bigger commercial success.

Monterey Jack

#40 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Excellent film MJ, I agree. I'm overdue for another viewing of that one.

I also concur, had it been released now, it would've likely been a much, much bigger commercial success.
Funny, I seem to recall a moderate **1/2 review from you back in the day. Is it one of those films that you grew to appreciate on multiple viewings?

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Excellent film MJ, I agree. I'm overdue for another viewing of that one.

Funny, I seem to recall a moderate **1/2 review from you back in the day. Is it one of those films that you grew to appreciate on multiple viewings?
I upgraded it to *** in '07 when I watched the Blu-Ray...it is a good, well made movie. I wasn't crazy about Heather Graham but the visuals were really impressive even more to me the second time.

mkaroly

#42 Post by mkaroly »

From Hell was a really gripping and disturbing move to me. Well done.

Monterey Jack

#43 Post by Monterey Jack »

A Burton/Depp/Carter twofer...

Corpse Bride (2005): 9/10

Who could resist a woman with those lovely, exposed cheekbones...? :wink:

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (2007): 10/10

I rank this with Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood as one of Burton's greatest films...and I don't even like musicals! :shock:

Paul MacLean

#44 Post by Paul MacLean »

Always had a soft spot for this one, which was classy but unpretentiously schlocky at the same time (I also had a crush on Myriam Cyr)...

Monterey Jack

#45 Post by Monterey Jack »

Coraline (2009): 10/10

Still my favorite film of 2010. Too bad everyone assumes it's a Tim Burton movie... :?