THOR 2 Set for 11/15/13 - Patty Jenkins Directing

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THOR 2 Set for 11/15/13 - Patty Jenkins Directing

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Well that's a fast turnaround! Branagh's not coming back though.

That said, it's all good with me...THOR is quite possibly one of my fave super-hero films (and likely this year's highest grossing genre film too).

UPDATE: Disney has set a July 26, 2013 release date for Thor 2.

EARLIER EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios, which is in production on the Joss Whedon-directed The Avengers, is making a full commitment to Thor 2, with Chris Hemsworth reprising his role as the title hero. Marvel will need to hire a director for that film because, I've learned, Kenneth Branagh won't be returning as helmer. Branagh, who directed the first film and watched it gross $437 million worldwide with a few territories still playing out, will likely be involved in some producing capacity. His exit was "mutual and amicable," I'm told. That means a big job is out there that a lot of directors and their agents will be chasing over the upcoming holiday.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/marvel- ... nt-return/

John Johnson

Re: THOR 2 Coming July 2013; Branagh Not Returning

#2 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Well that's a fast turnaround! Branagh's not coming back though.

That said, it's all good with me...THOR is quite possibly one of my fave super-hero films (and likely this year's highest grossing genre film too).

UPDATE: Disney has set a July 26, 2013 release date for Thor 2.

EARLIER EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios, which is in production on the Joss Whedon-directed The Avengers, is making a full commitment to Thor 2, with Chris Hemsworth reprising his role as the title hero. Marvel will need to hire a director for that film because, I've learned, Kenneth Branagh won't be returning as helmer. Branagh, who directed the first film and watched it gross $437 million worldwide with a few territories still playing out, will likely be involved in some producing capacity. His exit was "mutual and amicable," I'm told. That means a big job is out there that a lot of directors and their agents will be chasing over the upcoming holiday.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/marvel- ... nt-return/
Branagh is planning to return to the BBC series Wallander. Six feature length episodes are planned. Branagh, who portrays Kurt Wallander in the BBC adaption, will direct and produce an upcoming film based on Italian Shoes. The film will probably star Anthony Hopkins as Fredrik Welin. Filming will most likely start in the fall of 2011, after a possible third season of Wallander has wrapped up.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Branagh is planning to return to the BBC series Wallander. Six feature length episodes are planned. Branagh, who portrays Kurt Wallander in the BBC adaption, will direct and produce an upcoming film based on Italian Shoes. The film will probably star Anthony Hopkins as Fredrik Welin. Filming will most likely start in the fall of 2011, after a possible third season of Wallander has wrapped up.
From what I've heard I think the whole big-budget special effects thing was not his forte...THOR reportedly had a lot of production problems some of which stemmed from his own inexperience.

Hopefully he'll stay on as producer so Doyle will return to score it. Sounds like it was an amicable split as well.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Hopefully he'll stay on as producer so Doyle will return to score it.
Fat chance. We'll no doubt be getting a Hans Gregson-Jablonsky Thor score in two years. :(

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote: Hopefully he'll stay on as producer so Doyle will return to score it.
Fat chance. We'll no doubt be getting a Hans Gregson-Jablonsky Thor score in two years. :(
Looks like he's settling into a "genre groove" though with Thor & Planet of the Apes, and these assignments tend to come in "waves". If Branagh remains involved even in a producing capacity I can't see why he wouldn't return (unless the new director has a binky of his, lol).

Not that THOR was a "great" score but it was infinitely better than X-MEN FIRST CLASS, GREEN LANTERN or any other super-hero score I've heard in a long time. It'll be interesting to see if they hire him to do THE AVENGERS which would be nice (or Silvestri if CAPTAIN AMERICA turns out well).

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Patty Jenkins is set to direct the film -- the first woman to helm a Marvel movie.

Pretty interesting choice, at least it's not, well, John Moore or some hack...THE KILLING was certainly well done...though I expected with Branagh departing they'd have gone for someone more versed in special effects (guess not!).

Official announcement on the sequel:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/toldja- ... -director/

Marvel Studios announced today that Patty Jenkins will direct THOR 2, which will be released in theatres on Friday, November 15, 2013. Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman will return to star in the film along with Tom Hiddleston. Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige will produce the sequel to this summer’s blockbuster THOR, which has grossed over $448 million worldwide to date.

Patty Jenkins previously directed MONSTER starring Charlize Theron, who won an Academy Award® for her performance in the film. Jenkins, who received an Emmy nomination for directing the pilot of AMC’s acclaimed series The Killing, has also directed episodes of Entourage and Arrested Development. Most recently, she directed “Pearl,” one of the five short films that comprise Lifetime’s original movie FIVE.

In addition to THOR 2, Marvel Studios is currently scheduled to release MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS on May 4, 2012, and IRON MAN 3 which is slated for release on May 3, 2013.