Warner Home Video unveils a "Superman" 14-disc set

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Carlson2005

#31 Post by Carlson2005 »

Once was enough! I'd have thrown myself on the mercy of the welfare state. To be honest, it was only a couple of quid a week less on the dole than I got for working in a cinema anyway.

Of course, the big question is whether the infamous shots revealing the Metropolis subway train to be heading for Aldwych Station will be included in the deleted scenes! :oops: :oops:

Eric Paddon

#32 Post by Eric Paddon »

I think we can take for granted now that the "Donner cut" of Superman II will at last have Brando's scenes restored, or at least some of them.

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_p ... ndex.shtml

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

Seems like the only reason Warner is including SUPERGIRL in the mix -- especially since Anchor Bay (outside of the transfer) did as thorough a job as you could expect on their 2-DVD limited edition set and it's a movie few people care about -- is because they're thinking of remaking that one, too.

I noticed "rumored" names include the girl from the O.C., Rachel McAdams, and someone tossed around Elisa Cuthbert from 24 as well.

If they actually go ahead and do it, they ought to rework portions of the Peter David '90s comic book version -- where Supergirl "merges" with the human Linda Lee -- instead of just having her be a naive Krypton refugee. Might make it more fun and interesting, not to mention a character more people could relate to.

This description puts it best:
Through a convergence of supernatural events, Linda Danvers and Supergirl were brought together in a merging of physical form and consciousness that brought a new meaning to both their lives. A new, two-in-one, Supergirl was born. Supergirl now has a past as Linda Danvers and a human family, with all that entails, and Linda Danvers is now endowed with superpowers of flight, superstrength, and the ability to transform into Supergirl whenever the world needs saving.

Eric Paddon

#34 Post by Eric Paddon »

I know this is a minority opinion, but I think "Supergirl" comes off better than its reputation. I think it's a much better movie than "Superman III" and certainly better than "Superman IV". The chief flaws were not giving us enough backstory on how Argo City came to be, and its connections to Krypton, and also Reeve's refusal to do an originally planned cameo, which would have connected the film to the existing saga much better IMO.

The Anchor Bay 2-Disc set was a topnotch effort, showing the full potential of what the DVD format could do for a movie IMO, especially one that failed at the box office as "Supergirl" did.

MarkB

#35 Post by MarkB »

If I recall correctly, the last online chat the Warner DVD folks (George Feltenstein?) did over at Home Theater Forum stated that SUPERGIRL would NOT be part of the box set. I'm assuming it will be available separately.

I've never seen either version of the film, but I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the two-disc Anchor Bay set for $6.99 at a local K-Mart a few years back. I'll have to see if it's available from Netflix.

Mark

AndyDursin

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

MarkB wrote:If I recall correctly, the last online chat the Warner DVD folks (George Feltenstein?) did over at Home Theater Forum stated that SUPERGIRL would NOT be part of the box set. I'm assuming it will be available separately.

I've never seen either version of the film, but I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the two-disc Anchor Bay set for $6.99 at a local K-Mart a few years back. I'll have to see if it's available from Netflix.

Mark
Deepdiscountdvd was selling them for $4.99 at one point...I even bought one for Carlson2005 (which I now wish I kept for myself, lol! :lol: ).

MarkB

#37 Post by MarkB »

AndyDursin wrote:
MarkB wrote:If I recall correctly, the last online chat the Warner DVD folks (George Feltenstein?) did over at Home Theater Forum stated that SUPERGIRL would NOT be part of the box set. I'm assuming it will be available separately.

Mark
Deepdiscountdvd was selling them for $4.99 at one point...I even bought one for Carlson2005 (which I now wish I kept for myself, lol! :lol: ).
And how exactly is that supposed to make me feel any better? :D

(And Netflix no longer has it available for rent. Guess I have to wait for the Warner reissue this fall.)

Mark

AndyDursin

#38 Post by AndyDursin »

MarkB wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:

Mark
And how exactly is that supposed to make me feel any better? :D

(And Netflix no longer has it available for rent. Guess I have to wait for the Warner reissue this fall.)

Mark
Sorry Mark :) I wish I had a bought a whole bunch at that point -- they couldn't give them away for a time!

If it's any consolation, the transfer on the 124 min. European/International version was over-matted on the bottom of the frame, clipping the bottom of the image. The 138 min. "Director's Cut" IS properly framed, but it's literally the TV cut (with censored profanity!) and is also in mono......hopefully Warner can do better and offer a better transfer overall of the longest possible version in existence ;) (Hey the more Helen Slater the better!).

Bill Williams

#39 Post by Bill Williams »

By now you've probably checked out the new WB web site "The Year of Superman", which is really cool and has the latest information on all the Superman-themed DVD releases through the end of 2006. Of particular notice is the mention that all of the "Superman" films will be issued individually - which means there will be two versions of "Superman II" at stores, one the deluxe version and the other "The Version You've Never Seen" - in addition to being part of the 14-disc ultimate set. Interesting indeed!!! :D

On a Super-themed side note, Warner Home Video will issue Christopher Reeve's full-length directorial debut, "In the Gloaming". on DVD June 6. Sweet!!! :D
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

Carlson2005

#40 Post by Carlson2005 »

AndyDursin wrote:I even bought one for Carlson2005 (which I now wish I kept for myself, lol! :lol: ).

And for his sins, Carlson is eternally grateful for that slice of insanity on your part. Bizarrely enough I was talking to the sound editor of the film the other day, and he's still under the delusion that it's a much better film than Superman - but then, he's the only person alive who thinks that Speed 2 is a truly great movie! :shock:

Bill Williams

#41 Post by Bill Williams »

Superman Cinema is reporting that the Donner cut of SII will reportedly have 75% Donner footage in it, which jibes with everything we've heard over the years about how much footage Donner shot for SII. What's interesting is that they're reporting that the new cut will apparently have 35% of footage not seen before. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much as 50% new footage.
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

AndyDursin

#42 Post by AndyDursin »

Bill Williams wrote:Superman Cinema is reporting that the Donner cut of SII will reportedly have 75% Donner footage in it, which jibes with everything we've heard over the years about how much footage Donner shot for SII. What's interesting is that they're reporting that the new cut will apparently have 35% of footage not seen before. I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much as 50% new footage.
I'm excited to see it Bill! Thanks for the updates as always! :)

Bill Williams

#43 Post by Bill Williams »

Superman Cinema has the first four parts of an 11-part article of how Michael Thau could reconstruct "Superman II" to bring it closer to Richard Donner's original intentions. It's speculative, of course, but certainly merits a look. Read on:

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_p ... efault.asp