SUPERMAN RETURNS Thread (Olde Spoiler Warnin' Ahead)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Bill Williams

#31 Post by Bill Williams »

Superhero Hype! is reporting that the new theatrical trailer for SR is slated to debut this Friday, May 5, at the head of M:I3. Look for it to be online around that time, if not sooner!
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

Bill Williams wrote:Superhero Hype! is reporting that the new theatrical trailer for SR is slated to debut this Friday, May 5, at the head of M:I3. Look for it to be online around that time, if not sooner!
It's about time! :) Still haven't seen or heard a lick from Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor, and the movie is two months away! Hope they're not hiding something!! :shock:

romanD

#33 Post by romanD »

a song album? heresy!

anyway, the score album will be now 55 minutes!

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

romanD wrote:a song album? heresy!

anyway, the score album will be now 55 minutes!
Yeah it doesn't exactly go hand in hand with Superman, does it? I wonder what the deal is...not even BATMAN BEGINS had a song album.

Anyway 55 is better than 45. :wink:

romanD

#35 Post by romanD »

they try to make as much money as they can... the studios seems to be pretty nervous...

Bill Williams

#36 Post by Bill Williams »

Soundtrack.net has an interesting look at the creation of John Ottman's score for "Superman Returns", at the following link:

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=192

Of particular interest is the fact that approximately two hours of music was recorded for the film - so why are we getting a CD release of only 45 minutes' worth of music? - and that it was originally intended for the music to recreate the opening prologue motifs from "Superman: The Movie". The article also states that Ottman is referencing not only the Superman March, but also "Leaving Home", "The Planet Krypton", and the "Love Theme" in the new score as well.

The article ends on an interesting note about the film itself: There's going to be a major deleted scene from the film that will appear on the DVD release later this year, including music accompanying this deleted scene! What will it be? Wait until November and find out!
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

AndyDursin

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

Bill,
You can hear Ottman talking about it specifically in the podcast I mentioned a few posts back too. Sounds to me like he was a bit disappointed that Singer wanted more straight Williams but I think, obviously, the score is going to be all the better for it.

One thing he mentioned was that there's even more of Williams' classic themes in the score than there was when they temped the movie (which as we recall was supposed to sound like Cliff Martinez's Solaris score or something!). I haven't been a big fan of Ottman's recent work so this news is no shock to me...what would most people hear: Williams' themes which are firmly established with and part of the character, or John Ottman's cliched X2 or FANTASTIC FOUR themes which sound like third-rate Williams imitations?

Apparently they've agreed to do almost 60 minutes now on the album -- according to Roman (who is in the know on the music side of things).

AndyDursin

#38 Post by AndyDursin »

Bill,
You can hear Ottman talking about it specifically in the podcast I mentioned a few posts back too. Sounds to me like he was a bit disappointed that Singer wanted more straight Williams but I think, obviously, the score is going to be all the better for it.

One thing he mentioned was that there's even more of Williams' classic themes in the score than there was when they temped the movie (which as we recall was supposed to sound like Cliff Martinez's Solaris score or something!). I haven't been a big fan of Ottman's recent work so this news is no shock to me...

Apparently they've agreed to do almost 60 minutes now on the album -- according to Roman (who is in the know on the music side of things).

Bill Williams

#39 Post by Bill Williams »

Tonight is supposed to be the first satellite releasing of the new SR trailer, followed by a second feed tomorrow morning. I hope that it'll air on "Smallville", 'cause I'd sure love to see it!

AICN posted its first thoughts on the script, and basically they're saying it sucks big time, revealing serious spoilers in the process. Here's what I think of their comments:

The people of AICN are so full of manure, it's not funny. They're trying to trash this film before the second trailer, much less the film, even hits in the next 60 days, because they're not happy with what they think a "perfect" Superman film should be. Superman's never been edgy, as opposed to Batman or the X-Men; he's always been lighter-hearted and brighter. If they don't like the film, they should wait and say so after it comes out, not well before. This kind of trash-talking buzz is what's going to kill the film before it even has a chance. I for one don't visit AICN because of its crappy attitude towards movies.

Enough said while at the same time keeping it as clean as possible.

AndyDursin

#40 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm not a huge fan of AICN and haven't been since Harry Knowles loved the 1998 GODZILLA the day before it opened, then went to see it a second time and "revisited" his original opinion days later -- after seeing the box-office gross and reading other critics' reviews. (Hey at least I stuck by what I wrote the first time, despite all the emails I received!).

That said I'm very, very cautiously optimistic about the film. Subplots like a 24-year-old Lois Lane having a kid, though, does rub me the wrong way...it's like MURPHY BROWN and I don't understand the pressing need to alter the central thrust of the Superman legend with "contemporary" and un-necessary angles like adding a son for Lois Lane into the story. That sort of thing often spells desperation, and I'm curious to see what the point of it is.

If you see any links to the trailer Bill pass them on, I will keep my eye out and do the same.

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

It's amazing, the benefits of hearing John Williams' score...

http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/super ... _h.640.mov

If you stripped that ad of Williams' music, I doubt that ad would get much of a reaction in any capacity...it looks okay, but there's more of Lois' son (ugh!) in the trailer. The more I see of that angle, the more I'm doubting what kind of film this is going to be. Spacey looks like he'll be chewing up the scenary plenty, which is fine, but I'm reserving judgment until I see the final product. Can't say I'm in love with how the movie looks, either (little too CGI-looking).

On the other hand, I agree with you Bill on the tone -- looks like there's some comedy and a lighter tone, which is fine with me. Superman isn't Batman and never has been.

Seeing Kate Bosworth and Brandon Routh together, though, doesn't remind me of Reeve and Kidder...on the surface, they seem TOO YOUNG to make a supposed romance about "old boyfriends who come back into your life" seem believable.

Routh is hard to judge -- he might be fine -- but Bosworth does not look the part on the surface -- she comes off like a high school senior in that trailer, and she's supposed to play a parent as well! Again, I just don't get it...and Erica Durance on Smallville fits my impression of Lois a lot more than Bosworth does...more attitude in addition to good looks; Bosworth seems like a pretty young doll by comparison.

AndyDursin

#42 Post by AndyDursin »

EA announced the video game of the movie won't be released until Christmas. :shock:

Take it for what it's worth but I can't recall the last time a videogame-to-movie tie-in wasn't ready for the film's release. I hope it's not because the film itself is having trouble...probably not, but I hope not at least.

Paul MacLean

#43 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:It's amazing, the benefits of hearing John Williams' score...
You can say that again. John Ottman's connection to this film was the primary reason I had no interest in seeing it. But seeing the trailer, Williams' music electrifies every scene where its used. (I wish Mike Newell had similarly aknowledged the importance of Williams' Harry Potter themes and imposed that same directive on Patrick Doyle.)
AndyDursin wrote: If you stripped that ad of Williams' music, I doubt that ad would get much of a reaction in any capacity...it looks okay, but there's more of Lois' son (ugh!) in the trailer.
"You're bald!"

I think the kid could go either way. I do think that Bryan Singer handled kids well in the X-Men movies; they didn't come-out as obnoxious or "cute" (than again the really young ones didn't have much screen time).

I actually think Spacey looks fun -- his goofy moments actually remaind me a lot of Hackman.
AndyDursin wrote: Bosworth does not look the part on the surface -- she comes off like a high school senior in that trailer, and she's supposed to play a parent as well! Again, I just don't get it...and Erica Durance on Smallville fits my impression of Lois a lot more than Bosworth does...more attitude in addition to good looks; Bosworth seems like a pretty young doll by comparison.
Well, I am not a Smallville watcher (I have trouble sitting thru shows with commercials!). But for me Kate Bosworth is certainly preferable to Margot Kidder! When I was a kid, Kidder didn't bother me -- all grown-ups looked the same age, and besides the action was what mattered, (not all that kissy stuff).

But wacthing Superman today, Kidder seriously affects that film. Apart from her raspy, chain-smoker voice, she looks 7-8 years older than Christopher Reeve!

Bosworth may look a little young to have a kid (much less be a senior reporter at a great metopolitan newspaper) but on the other hand, I can totally believe Superman being in love with such an adorable peach. To me anyway, what little we've seen of the romantic angle comes-off as very touching. I love that shot of her bare feet stepping on to Superman's boots.

Of course I've been in love with Kate Bosworth ever since Blue Crush, which I only saw for the cinematography of course (hey, its well-shot!).

Paul

AndyDursin

#44 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote:Well, I am not a Smallville watcher (I have trouble sitting thru shows with commercials!).
Paul that's what you need a recorder for! :) I'm with you though. I refuse to watch any TV "live," even if it means waiting an hour for the show to conclude just so I don't have to sit through 4-5 minutes of ads at a time.

Seriously, I like SMALLVILLE a great deal. A lot of the hate seems to come from fans who've never seen it -- and others who can't stand to see their comic books have a "remix" if you will -- yet they're doing an excellent job offering fresh twists on material from the comics (and now General Zod is coming into the mix!). The cast is also highly appealing and I admit part of my hesitation with Routh is that I think Tom Welling's interpretation is pitch-perfect for a modern-day Superman retelling. Yet Singer has gone back to the original movies which is going to be interesting but also ambitious and with a degree of difficulty attached -- he's got a lot to measure up to, tying in so directly to the Reeve movies, and it'll be fascinating to see how he fares.

Despite my reservations about the kid I am still hoping for the best :)

Paul MacLean

#45 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Singer has gone back to the original movies which is going to be interesting but also ambitious and with a degree of difficulty attached -- he's got a lot to measure up to, tying in so directly to the Reeve movies, and it'll be fascinating to see how he fares.
One thing's for sure, it will be better than Nicholas Cage wearing a black suit!

Paul