rate the last movie you saw

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: rate the last movie you saw

#1351 Post by Paul MacLean »

Magnum Force

Whereas many sequels are just glorified remakes, Magnum Force actually takes the Dirty Harry story in an interesting new direction, and is one of the too few instances where the sequel is better than the original. Dirty Harry centered on a psychopath killing innocent people. In Magnum Force, the villain is a faceless vigilante dressed as a biker cop who is killing far-from-innocent criminals.

As Inspector Harry Callahan, Eastwood is just as memorable in this film as in the original. Though still callous and stoic, Harry does soften-up enough to have a relationship with a lovely Japanese girl. Hal Holbrook is also superb as a despicably self-righteous bleeding-heart desk cop, who repeatedly castigates Harry for "police brutality" even though Harry actually gets results. It's also interesting to see David Soul, Tim Matheson and Robert Urich -- all before they were famous -- in supporting roles as rookie cops.

Lalo Schifrin's score is one of his best, a gritty, aggressive blend of jazz, rock 'n roll and edgy modern classical techniques. Unquestionably the best of all the Dirty Harry movies.

Monterey Jack

#1352 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:Magnum Force
Unquestionably the best of all the Dirty Harry movies.
Eh? I find it probably the worst of the bunch (even The Dead Pool is better :shock: ). Bland, made-for-70's-TV direction, uninteresting villains, rote action sequences...Schifrin's score is the best of the series, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired.

Paul MacLean

#1353 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:
Unquestionably the best of all the Dirty Harry movies.
Eh? I find it probably the worst of the bunch (even The Dead Pool is better :shock: ). Bland, made-for-70's-TV direction, uninteresting villains, rote action sequences...Schifrin's score is the best of the series, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired.
It doesn't have the most striking visual style, but was Dirty Harry more visually impressive? I also find it far-more believable than The Enforcer and (more particularly) Sudden Impact. The action scenes are very well-staged, particularly the car chase at the climax (compare that to the silly chase in Sudden Impact). Hal Holbrook makes a superb villain, and his character development comes with a unexpected twist. It is also less padded than the original Dirty Harry.

AND it has Adele Yoshioka. Wouldn't you rather look at her than Sondra Locke (or Tyne Daly!)?

Edmund Kattak

#1354 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Whereas many sequels are just glorified remakes, Magnum Force actually takes the Dirty Harry story in an interesting new direction, and is one of the too few instances where the sequel is better than the original. Dirty Harry centered on a psychopath killing innocent people. In Magnum Force, the villain is a faceless vigilante dressed as a biker cop who is killing far-from-innocent criminals.

As Inspector Harry Callahan, Eastwood is just as memorable in this film as in the original. Though still callous and stoic, Harry does soften-up enough to have a relationship with a lovely Japanese girl. Hal Holbrook is also superb as a despicably self-righteous bleeding-heart desk cop, who repeatedly castigates Harry for "police brutality" even though Harry actually gets results. It's also interesting to see David Soul, Tim Matheson and Robert Urich -- all before they were famous -- in supporting roles as rookie cops.

Lalo Schifrin's score is one of his best, a gritty, aggressive blend of jazz, rock 'n roll and edgy modern classical techniques. Unquestionably the best of all the Dirty Harry movies.
I will second that recommendation. Even 30 years ago as a kid, I always loved the climax of the shooting competition - where Callahan shoots the cop decoy, then turns and gives this look of firm resolve; Cut to Holbrook's Lt. Briggs nodding in understanding of the message. Great stuff.
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#1355 Post by Monterey Jack »

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012): 2.5/10

Aside from MEW looking fetching in her period duds, the rest of the movie is a collossal dud...dreary, inert, somehow silly and pretentious at the same time, and crushingly dull despite all of the hyperactive visual freneticism on display. And it's downright sad to learn that the great Caleb Deschanel was the DP, considering how urine-yellow ugly the photography is. Suffice to say I continue to not be a fan of Timur Bekmambetof[sp?].

AndyDursin

#1356 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree it sucks -- but 3-D added 5 points to my overall score. lol. The whole movie becomes something kind of amusing to look at and it's one of those deals where, visually, you can see it having been designed with 3-D in mind. Without that, it's a flat out misfire with nothing to keep you engaged.

mkaroly

#1357 Post by mkaroly »

Monterey Jack wrote:Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012): 2.5/10

Aside from MEW looking fetching in her period duds, the rest of the movie is a collossal dud...dreary, inert, somehow silly and pretentious at the same time, and crushingly dull despite all of the hyperactive visual freneticism on display. And it's downright sad to learn that the great Caleb Deschanel was the DP, considering how urine-yellow ugly the photography is. Suffice to say I continue to not be a fan of Timur Bekmambetof[sp?].
That was MEW? I guess I don't understand the fascination with her. Maybe it was the movie, but she (and everyone else, to be honest) were awful in that movie and I didn't think she's that pretty. But, whatever. We both agree that the movie sucked!

Monterey Jack

#1358 Post by Monterey Jack »

mkaroly wrote: That was MEW? I guess I don't understand the fascination with her. Maybe it was the movie, but she (and everyone else, to be honest) were awful in that movie and I didn't think she's that pretty.

Last edited by Monterey Jack on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AndyDursin

#1359 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack with POST OF THE YEAR candidate :lol:

I was just thinking the other day it's been a long time since we've seen "The Sutherland" too!

mkaroly

#1360 Post by mkaroly »

I'll say that she looks good in the one in black, but she doesn't look that great in the others. I was basing my comments on how she looked in ABE LINCOLN and her performance in that same movie...both were unmemorable to me.

Paul MacLean

#1361 Post by Paul MacLean »

Who is "MEW"?

Monterey Jack

#1362 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:Who is "MEW"?
The lovely, charming and talented Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Monterey Jack

#1363 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:I was just thinking the other day it's been a long time since we've seen "The Sutherland" too!
The classics never die. 8)

Monterey Jack

#1364 Post by Monterey Jack »

mkaroly wrote:I was basing my comments on how she looked in ABE LINCOLN and her performance in that same movie...both were unmemorable to me.
You need to see her in less-lousy movies. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a good place to start.

AndyDursin

#1365 Post by AndyDursin »

She was very good in the decent re-prequel of THE THING, plus SCOTT PILGRIM. She's incredibly attractive but also very talented and a favorite of MJ and yours truly.

I wouldn't base any assessment of her on ABE LINCOLN VAMPIRE HUNTER -- everyone in the movie is a prop and the only fun in the film was the 3-D.