THE INSIDER: BD Color Correction Issues?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Mike Skerritt

THE INSIDER: BD Color Correction Issues?

#1 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Andy, have you gotten a hold of this disc yet?

The review on DVD Active offers some curious thoughts in the video section:
It’s difficult even as a relative non-fan of Mann to choose any film as his most beautiful, but the extensive, diverse, and vibrant colour palette here really does sit apart from his more monochromatic features. He and cinematographer Dante Spinotti (who also shot Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans) follow through with a consistent basic colour quality, which blows out wonderfully lush greens, dynamic warm hues, and a underlying cool blue. However, if you compare this release to the DVD release, colours haven’t only been richened and made more violent, but there has been substantial ‘corrections’ made throughout. The original image was rarely ‘natural’ looking – it followed the neon hue themes set by most of Mann’s previous films – but this restoration has certainly taken liberties with the yellow and orange qualities of the warmer hues, especially during darker interior sequences. Flesh tones have been baked beyond what I’m assuming many fans will be comfortable with. Mann and Spinotti’s names have not been used in conjunction with this particular restoration as far as I know, so this definitely raises questions pertaining to the filmmaker’s ‘original intent.’ Beyond this, however, I’m still comfortable praising the clarity and strength of the colours during this release.
Link: http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/insider-the.html

I've been waiting for this on BD forever; I'd hate to see it fall victim to some unfortunate FRENCH CONNECTION style tinkering.

AndyDursin

Re: THE INSIDER: BD Color Correction Issues?

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Mike, I have not gotten it yet and Disney has been really poor at sending out copies of their barebones back catalog discs, so I don't know if I'll ever get it.

Nothing would surprise me given how much tinkering Mann has done with his home video releases.