This Week's 'Seat - Jennifer 8, DePalma, Friday the 13th

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

This Week's 'Seat - Jennifer 8, DePalma, Friday the 13th

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I was working on a longer column for Monday when FRIDAY THE 13TH rolled around. Check it out along with reviews of SNAKE EYES and JENNIFER 8, two movies ruined by studio executives at Paramount! :evil:

http://andyfilm.com/2013/09/11/9-13-13- ... l-edition/

Monterey Jack

Re: This Week's 'Seat - Jennifer 8, DePalma, Friday the 13th

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

What I wouldn't give to see the tidal wave ending of Snake Eyes, the omission of which took a fairly solid De Palma thriller and ended it with a wet fart of a conclusion that was not only anti-climatic, but so poorly spliced-in that Cage keeps referring to the original ending in the final scene! :shock: It always blows my mind when a studio invests millions of dollars into a major special-effects sequence, only to cut it at the last minute (also see the "Krypton" prologue in Superman Returns, the "Audrey takes over the world" ending of Little Shop Of Horrors and the volcano ending of Sliver). Hasn't anyone ever heard the motto, "measure twice, cut once"?

Mike Skerritt

#3 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Monterey Jack wrote:and the volcano ending of Sliver)
WHAT.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Mike Skerritt wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote:and the volcano ending of Sliver)
WHAT.
I've seen the workprint, with the infamous volcano ending used. It also reveals a different killer if I'm not correct.

Scroll down to the bottom of this, and there are screengrabs and an explanation of it -- to date it's never been released on video and probably never will be:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2893366

Mike Skerritt

#5 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:Scroll down to the bottom of this, and there are screengrabs and an explanation of it -- to date it's never been released on video and probably never will be:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2893366
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it's literally a volcano! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mike Skerritt

#6 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Back on topic, I'd love to get that F13 set but I can't bring myself to upgrade (I own all the F13 movies in various forms on DVD) without the uncensored cuts being included.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Mike Skerritt wrote:Back on topic, I'd love to get that F13 set but I can't bring myself to upgrade (I own all the F13 movies in various forms on DVD) without the uncensored cuts being included.
I understand, it's especially too bad that JASON GOES TO HELL is only in the R rated version. That said, it IS a nice set, plus I believe the WBShop has it right now (after coupons) for $70 (you can also sell off the digital copy if you want -- there are people getting $30 for the UV code alone in the Blu-Ray.com trading section. That would help finance the purchase!).

mkaroly

#8 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:
Mike Skerritt wrote:Back on topic, I'd love to get that F13 set but I can't bring myself to upgrade (I own all the F13 movies in various forms on DVD) without the uncensored cuts being included.
I understand, it's especially too bad that JASON GOES TO HELL is only in the R rated version. That said, it IS a nice set, plus I believe the WBShop has it right now (after coupons) for $70 (you can also sell off the digital copy if you want -- there are people getting $30 for the UV code alone in the Blu-Ray.com trading section. That would help finance the purchase!).
This is a tempting set to get (since I have a soft spot in my heart for the F13 movies), but financially I can't justify it right now - going to wait for a Black Friday deal or some super low sale somewhere. Andy, if you see this on sale for an obnoxiously low price please let us know!