JURASSIC WORLD - What's Behind Padlock 9? A Bad Movie

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Here's a pitch reel from a German convention earlier this summer -- they're saying it's just the concept for a "cancelled video game," but I doubt it's just a coincidence it has the SAME EXACT TITLE as this movie!

This is very likely promo footage for a game being produced (or was being produced) IN CONJUNCTION with the film, but the bottom line is this: it gives you an indication of what the film may be like conceptually, no matter what excuse they're sending out there.

Mike Skerritt

#17 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:
Huh.

Monterey Jack

#18 Post by Monterey Jack »

This will be horrible.

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

Expect more scenes like the horrible climax of THE LOST WORLD when the dinosaurs partied in San Diego...I'm guessing the concept is it's not taking place in the Park.

Mike Skerritt

#20 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:Expect more scenes like the horrible climax of THE LOST WORLD when the dinosaurs partied in San Diego...
My first though, too. Of the many, many missteps in THE LOST WORLD, the San Diego sequence is the most wrong-footed. It's awful.

Logically it's hard to argue you with the idea that they're taking the dinos out into the world at large, but there was so much talk about "honoring the spirit of the original" that I still think it will basically be (or at least begin as) a park-gone-wrong disaster picture. Perhaps they've built a park on the mainland with military-grade security, everything on a bigger and "more secure" scale, but the dinos get out and run amok.

Or, maybe the wanted to "honor the spirit of the original" with a park-set story but just couldn't get it to work, so they pushed everything back a year and instead went with the dinosaur invasion teased in the pitch reel.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Exactly Mike. That promo reel could be nothing, but I don't think it materialized out of nowhere at the same time. Obviously it's a concept selling what the film could be -- or was -- even if it's tied into a video game.

The big point here is I have no faith in Colin Trevorrrow. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED was one of those typically overpraised indie films -- likeable in parts, but uneven and overrated -- and how someone like that makes the jump from THAT movie to JURASSIC WORLD is, well, baffling. I figured he was going to be just a hired hand for a script that already had been written and which Spielberg was producing -- but it seems like Trevorrow is also writing the screenplay (from scratch?) and that concerns me...greatly.

Mike Skerritt

#22 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:Exactly Mike. That promo reel could be nothing, but I don't think it materialized out of nowhere at the same time. Obviously it's a concept selling what the film could be -- or was -- even if it's tied into a video game.
A bit more info on the pitch reel - http://badassdigest.com/2013/09/16/the- ... pitch-reel

Seems it WAS meant for a JP sequel, though not necessarily this JP sequel.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Thank goodness they didn't make the John Sayles version....wow. :D

Mike Skerritt

#24 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:Thank goodness they didn't make the John Sayles version....wow. :D
Nazi-fightin' raptor super soldiers? Come on that would've been GREAT.

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Bryce Dallas Howard is apparently locking down the lead role. She was mentioned before in Variety prior to the movie's date being pushed back, and is reportedly the front runner again.

Monterey Jack

#26 Post by Monterey Jack »

Mike Skerritt wrote:Nazi-fightin' raptor super soldiers? Come on that would've been GREAT.

Nazi-Fightin' Raptor Soldiers...

Raptors in a half-shell...Raptor power!

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

Casting is coming together at last:

NEW GIRL's Jake Johnson is an actor I enjoy watching a great deal but I find his casting in this kind of thing...well, a little bit odd...but obviously he's a friend of the director (with him having appeared in his first and only movie, Safety Not Guaranteed). Not confirmed yet but it's rumored.

I was hoping this movie wouldn't have another juvenile lead, but the young boy from IRON MAN 3 was actually pretty good so hopefully the film will refrain from having any "Power Rangers" fight sequences for him to engage in with the raptors!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/ty-simp ... sic-world/
EXCLUSIVE: We got another lead casting in Jurassic World, the Colin Trevorrow-directed sequel that will be shot in 3D and which Universal will release in June 12, 2015. I keep hearing that New Girl and Drinking Buddies star Jake Johnson is in the mix, but the studio won’t confirm him. I don’t think they confirmed Bryce Dallas Howard, who has also been in talks for a role. I’m hearing that 12-year old Ty Simpkins, fresh from Iron Man 3, has booked a lead in Jurassic World.

Despite the fact I probably have food in the freezer older than this young actor, Simpkins has worked before with producer Steven Spielberg, who is producing with Frank Marshall and Pat Crowley. Simpkins made his feature debut in the Spielberg-directed War Of The Worlds, opposite Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. Last year, Simpkins starred in the genre smash Insidious, and reprises in the sequel. His other credits include Revolutionary Road, Pride And Glory, and the Kate Winslet-starrer Little Children. This should be a breakout opportunity–the first three films grossed more than $1.9 billion worldwide–in a film that was written by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver and is being directed by Trevorrow. Trevorrow, who wrote the most recent draft with Derek Connolly, got the job off the acclaimed indie Safety Not Guaranteed. He’s repped by ICM Partners.

AndyDursin

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015 - Casting News

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

Josh Brolin shot them down -- and this is what they're coming up with?

Granted great movies have had no-name casts, but a guy from PARKS & RECREATION and Bryce Dallas Howard are your leads? I hope they're pouring the money into FX because this feels like the cast of a direct-to-video flick.

Very disappointed...

http://www.thewrap.com/chris-pratt-jura ... -lead-role

Note this comment:
Josh Brolin had been circling the lead role in “Jurassic World” though talks failed to lead to a deal.
Talks as in -- Brolin read the script, I'm guessing. :roll:

DavidBanner

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015 - Brolin Says "No"

#29 Post by DavidBanner »

I have a feeling they don't even have anything approaching a presentable script yet.

And I bet Brolin might have come onboard if he thought Spielberg was really going to be involved in the movie. But he has no need to jump into a situation even more ridiculous than Gangster Squad, and which really feels like another DTV project being gussied up for a theatrical release.

DavidBanner

Re: JURASSIC WORLD - June 12, 2015 - Brolin Says "No"

#30 Post by DavidBanner »

Jurassic World is about to go into heavy prep. They should be filming by April.

Josh Brolin was not in talks to play the lead - he was supposed to play the villain of the piece, who will instead be played by another actor who has already been cast.

This is a very large budget production with a lot of moving pieces. Lots and lots of CGI. I would expect a 3D release as well.

Doesn't mean that this will be a good movie. Just a big one.