GODZILLA - May 16, 2014 - Official Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

GODZILLA - May 16, 2014 - Official Thread

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Figured it was just a matter of time...

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/godzill ... y-16-2014/

BREAKING: Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures have set their reboot on the Godzilla franchise for May 16, 2014. And it will be in 3D. The move was made by studio domestic distribution president Dan Fellman international distribution president Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, along with Legendary Pictures. The film got a rousing reception at Comic-Con in San Diego over the summer.

The Gareth Edwards-directed film is being made in partnership with rights owner Toho. Godzilla has appeared in more than 25 films, multiple television programs, video games and book series. Legendary, which has been developing the project, and its partner Warner Bros. will return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner. The project will fall under Legendary’s overall agreement with Warner Bros. Warner Bros will release it worldwide except in Japan, where Toho will release it.

Edwards previously directed Monsters, and here will be helming a script by David Callaham (The Expendables films), David S. Goyer (the Dark Knight trilogy) and Max Borenstein (The Seventh Son). Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce, along with Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher will serve as executive producers alongside Doug Davison, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

Monterey Jack

Re: GODZILLA - May 14, 2014 from Warner Bros.

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

But will it have MAN IN SUIT...? :)

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

It should!! Why spent $100 million when you could spend $2 mil, lol.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Seriously, you could easilly have a beautifully-articulated animatronic Godzilla these days, with maybe a few CGI touch-ups for various odds and ends. Look at Where The Wild Things Are...that was a terrific blend of suit actors with CG facial expressions. I wish Guillermo Del Toro was doing this...he'd push for Man In Suit. :(

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Joseph Gordon-Levitt wisely turned it down...

http://screencrush.com/godzilla-casting ... ry-cavill/

Jedbu

#6 Post by Jedbu »

Supposedly Frank Darabont is now doing re-write/polish work on the script...

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting. Apparently also some of the producers are suing the others, which could possibly hold up production as well:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/legenda ... producers/

Aaron Johnson is in the lead for the human role:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/will-aa ... -godzilla/

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Well this certainly looks fun and upbeat! lol

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/4/48028 ... er-footage

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

I'll admit that proves once again just how scary the Ligeti music was to begin with back in 2001.

Jedbu

#10 Post by Jedbu »

That clip on the Verge website has been taken down :cry:

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Trailer was pulled everywhere by Warner Bros., but it's still trickling out here and there:

Mike Skerritt

#12 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Just to be clear, as not every outlet that posted that footage mentioned this - it's not actually footage from the movie. It's the concept trailer that played at SDCC in 2012. The Con this year had real footage from the movie and reportedly the tone was not quite the same as this.

That said, what's here was, I thought, incredibly effective. Love the Lygeti especially.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

It's very impressive visually. Not sure I'm looking forward to a pretentious social statement with 9/11-levels of imagery however, if that's the direction it's going.

Wonder why Warner Bros. would care so much about a 2012 Comic Con teaser and act so aggressively to have it removed. Certainly doesn't do anything but generate conversation for the picture, and it's polished enough that it didn't look like a cheap concept/teaser.

Mike Skerritt

#14 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:It's very impressive visually ... it's polished enough that it didn't look like a cheap concept/teaser.
I totally agree Andy. I was fooled and emailed it around to a few people before discovering what it was. Even if the tone is different, I love the sheer scope of the visuals here. Yes, the metaphor is a bit heavy handed, but if that tracking shot behind the hollowed buildings shows Edwards' eye for composition, we'll have something to look forward to.

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Mike Skerritt wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:It's very impressive visually ... it's polished enough that it didn't look like a cheap concept/teaser.
I totally agree Andy. I was fooled and emailed it around to a few people before discovering what it was. Even if the tone is different, I love the sheer scope of the visuals here. Yes, the metaphor is a bit heavy handed, but if that tracking shot behind the hollowed buildings shows Edwards' eye for composition, we'll have something to look forward to.
He obviously gets the visual angle, which is key -- and what I like is that it promises to have some scale, and probably isn't going to be dominated by PACIFIC RIMmed levels of claustrophobic, zoomed-in camera angles. The tone? Obviously we'll see. If it's just a concept trailer, then who knows -- I'm just not sure how a deadly serious, pretentious Godzilla movie is going to go over with most viewers outside the hardcore "kaiju" fans (and we all know how many of them turned out for Pacific Rim).