NOAH (2014) - Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

NOAH (2014) - Thread

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Well let's just hope it's better than THE FOUNTAIN...and, well, BLACK SWAN too. :shock:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/toldja- ... skys-noah/

HOLLYWOOD, CA (April 22, 2012) – Paramount Pictures and New Regency Productions jointly announced today that Academy Award®-winner Russell Crowe has been cast as Noah in Academy Award®-nominated director Darren Aronofsky’s feature film of the same name. Paramount will release the film on March 28, 2014.

Said Aronofsky, “I’d like to thank Paramount and Regency for backing my team’s work to breathe new life into the biblical epic. I rejoice that Russell Crowe will be by my side on this adventure. It’s his immense talent that helps me to sleep at night. I look forward to being wowed by him every day.”

NOAH is a close adaptation of the Biblical story of Noah’s Ark. In a world ravaged by human sin, Noah is given a divine mission: to build an Ark to save creation from the coming flood. The screenplay was written by Aronofsky and Ari Handel and revised by Academy Award®-nominated screenwriter John Logan (GLADIATOR, HUGO).

Scott Franklin and Aronofsky of Protozoa Pictures, along with Mary Parent of Disruption Entertainment, will produce the film.

mkaroly

Re: Russell Crowe is NOAH in Darren Aronofsky's Biblical Tal

#2 Post by mkaroly »

I am highly skeptical that this film will present the Biblical account accurately...just a feeling. I hate being negative about all these new films but I wonder if DA has an axe to grind as he "breathes new life"into the Biblical epic. Any religious film coming out of Hollywood based on Old/New Testament subject matter kind of...makes me a bit nervous.

Will it maintain Genesis' monotheistic theology (especially as Genesis 1-11 can be read in places [including the flood story] as a strong polemic against Ancient Near Eastern mythologies and polytheistic beliefs)?

How will he treat/portray sinful humanity (Genesis 6)?

Will they address Noah's last days and how will they approach Ham's sin (Genesis 9)?

What will DA's subtext be?

Finally, will God be the hero or will Noah? I think that's critical as the Biblical account holds up God as the hero (Noah doesn't even speak in the narrative (6:1-9:29) until 9:25, and that was to speak, invoke, or prophesy a blessing and a curse on his sons; the Epic of Gilgamesh, by contrasting example, holds up Utnapishtim as the hero.

I hope this isn't going to be some sensationalist attempt to water down Scripture and what it is trying to communicate. And I hope I didn't break forum rules...if I did please delete this post and accept my apology!

AndyDursin

Re: Russell Crowe is NOAH in Darren Aronofsky's Biblical Tal

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Well to NOBODY's surprise, Aronofsky's film isn't testing well because he's putting his "own stamp" on the Bible and there's an apparently problematic final third that deviates from the story.

How this is a shock given that this is the same guy who made THE FOUNTAIN and isn't known for producing $100 mil-plus studio films is beyond me...the bigger question now is: what can they do about it?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... oah-648777

The auteur and the studio are at odds over the final cut of a $125 million biblical epic plagued by troubling reactions from audiences in New York (largely Jewish), Arizona (Christian) and Orange County, Calif. (general public).

God gave Noah some very specific instructions on how to build an ark. But it seems there was no such clear voice of authority when it came to the making of Darren Aronofsky's epic movie based on the Bible story.

Multiple sources say that with test screenings of various versions producing worrisome results, Aronofsky and Paramount have been at odds over the version of Noah that is set for release March 28. It's not clear whether Aronofsky -- whose most recent film, 2010's Black Swan, grossed $329 million worldwide and won an Oscar for star Natalie Portman -- has held on to his right to final cut. Aronofsky and his reps did not respond to requests for comment, but Paramount vice chairman Rob Moore says the film, which stars Russell Crowe as the seafarer, is going through a "normal preview process" and the result will be "one version of the movie that Darren is overseeing."

In recent weeks, the studio has held test screenings for key groups that might take a strong interest in the subject matter: in New York (for a largely Jewish audience), in Arizona (Christians) and in Orange County, Calif. (general public). All are said to have generated troubling reactions. But sources say Aronofsky has been resistant to Paramount's suggested changes. "Darren is not made for studio films," says a talent rep with ties to the project. "He's very dismissive. He doesn't care about [Paramount's] opinion."

The auteur director of films including The Wrestler, Pi and Requiem for a Dream, Aronofsky hasn't been associated much with big studios or big effects pictures (a minor exception is The Fountain). But with Noah, he's in deep with both. Paramount is splitting the cost, now past the original $125 million budget, with Arnon Milchan's New Regency.

The use of visual effects has been so extensive that in some scenes, only an actor's face is in the final image. The film relies on effects to create the flood, of course, but in addition, Noah doesn't feature any real animals. Aronofsky said the creatures in the film are "slightly tweaked" versions of those that exist in nature, and there also are fantastical beings in the mix. The director recently told DGA Quarterly that Industrial Light & Magic had said it did the most complicated rendering in the company's history for the film -- "a nice badge of honor," he said.

Beyond the visuals, a major challenge has been coming up with an exciting third act that doesn't alienate the potentially huge Christian audience (in the Bible, Noah and the ark's inhabitants survive the flood that destroys the Earth). Some in the faith community already have expressed skepticism about the result, especially after writer Brian Godawa in October 2012 obtained a version of the Noah script and posted his summary online under the heading, "Darren Aronofsky's Noah: Environmentalist Wacko." (Aronofsky has in the past described Noah as "the first environmentalist.") Among his conclusions is that Noah will be "an uninteresting and unbiblical waste of a hundred and fifty million dollars that will ruin for decades the possibility of making a really great and entertaining movie of this Bible hero." On the other hand, Ted Baehr, whose Movieguide.org publishes reviews from a Christian perspective, holds out hope that the film will pass muster.

Mark Joseph, who has consulted on the marketing of films including Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe and Ray, says he hasn't been to a screening of Noah but fears it is "an example of a director not listening to those voices that would have been warning of the dangers of veering too far away from the biblical text. The director is there to serve the studio and the audience, not veer off into directions that go against the core audience's beliefs -- at least if the goal is to get them to come to the theater."

Paramount obviously hopes to woo the faithful; in July Aronofsky screened Noah footage for the church-based Echo conference in Texas. Some tweets from audience members suggested that the sneak peek was well received.

Moore says the studio knew going in that the film would be complicated and "allowed for a very long postproduction period, which allowed for a lot of test screenings."

While Aronofsky "definitely wants some level of independence," he adds, "he also wants a hit movie." The bottom line: "We're getting to a very good place, and we're getting there with Darren."

mkaroly

Re: NOAH Paramount, Aronofsky At Odds after Bad Test Screeni

#4 Post by mkaroly »

This is unfortunate, but I'm not surprised. All meaning is context dependent, and if DA decides to ignore the context of Scripture and the Genesis narrative that preceded the story of Noah (chapters 1-5), and if he wants to "reinvent" the Scriptural narrative of Noah's life then this film will be a slap in the face to both Jews and Christians...sounds like based on the article above that he doesn't really care and will basically do what he wants. What a shame - I would love to hear/read what people didn't like about the film.

And I don't agree with calling Noah "the first environmentalist". It seems to me he is applying a contemporary term (with all its meanings and baggage) way, way out of context. The story of Noah and the ark contextually is primarily about God's judgment against sinful humanity (in His act of un-creating) and His salvation (bringing Noah through the flood and re-creating and blessing Noah and all who were with him on the ark to be fruitful and fill the earth again). All it says in the narrative is that Noah was obedient in all he was commanded to do. I think it's a huge stretch to say Noah was "the first environmentalist"; if one was going to use that term (stripped of contemporary political baggage in meaning) for any human being in scripture, it would be more appropriately reserved for Adam and Eve, in my opinion.

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

Sounds like we're getting a big screen version of that awful Jon Voight cable movie of some years back that also deviated from the Biblical text to the point of absurdity (giving us Lot and Sodom as part of the Noah account and not thinking the intended audience wasn't going to be savvy about their Bible to not notice how absurd that is).

This is alas a painful reminder of how after a full generation, the entertainment industry is comprised of total idiots about basic Biblical knowledge who make no pretense of trying to understand the basiscs of what the faithful believe. I have no illusions about John Huston being an actual believer but at least when he did "The Bible" he stuck to the text and simply let his vision be the text coming to life.

jkholm

#6 Post by jkholm »

Oh well. At least we still have the Donald Duck segment from FANTASIA 2000. :)

Interesting that the article mentions Brian Godawa. I remember seeing the post on the Noah script on his blog but didn't read the whole thing. I really enjoyed his book Hollywood Worldviews.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Trailer -- lots of sound and fury, some effective visuals, impossible to tell how it'll play (and apparently they are still working on the final third):

Mike Skerritt

Re: NOAH (2014) - Trailer Released

#8 Post by Mike Skerritt »

It's certainly more conventional than I was expecting.

Jedbu

#9 Post by Jedbu »

Certainly looks better than the infamous Warner Bros./Vitaphone debacle from 1928...

Paul MacLean

#10 Post by Paul MacLean »

Pass.

Could this be any more formulaic? Teal and orange cinematography, Anthony Hopkins as a wild-eyed old man, unhistoric "medieval fantasy" costumes, strikingly un-middle eastern locations, ostentatious "summer blockbuster" effects sequences, etc.

As far as Aranofsky's deviations from scripture, I'm sure he thinks of the material as a fairy tale, so to him this is like "Clash of the Titans". But it won't go over well with the legions of audiences who believe in the bible. Rightly or wrongly, their opinion will count when it comes to ticket sales.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

US trailer:

Jedbu

#12 Post by Jedbu »

Aside from the sport shirt Crowe is wearing in the opening of the trailer, it intrigues me greatly, and the flood shots look pretty damn good. I think Aronovsky might have actually made a film that might appeal to more than a handful of people.

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

Paul MacLean wrote:As far as Aranofsky's deviations from scripture, I'm sure he thinks of the material as a fairy tale, so to him this is like "Clash of the Titans". But it won't go over well with the legions of audiences who believe in the bible. Rightly or wrongly, their opinion will count when it comes to ticket sales.
Exactly. A Biblical based movie will only work if it sticks to the text and treats it with dignity and respect and also conveys to the audience that this is bringing what they *believe* in to life on-screen which is what I felt Huston for the most part succeeded in doing. But modern Hollywood is a place where respect for what the religious audience believes is virtually non-existence or they regard them as a fringe/niche group and I have no faith in their ability to do the material properly.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Hollywood has long underestimated the market for religious projects -- as evidenced by their collective shock over how well projects like last year's BIBLE mini-series and Mel Gibson's PASSION OF THE CHRIST did (or to a lesser degree independently funded "inspirational" projects like FIREPROOF on both video and in theaters).

NOAH certainly looks "commercial," but what will be interesting to see -- and could well sink the project -- is how many liberties or oddball narrative choices Aronofsky makes in his storytelling. Make too many, and they will alienate the very audience the film will appeal to. Certainly I'd worry based on his track record -- I mean, is there anything more ridiculous than the ending of THE FOUNTAIN? Hugh Jackman turning into a tree is still one of the more laughable visuals I've seen in the last 10-15 years.

Either way, the fact we've seen many reports now over test screenings and the studio trying to wrestle the film away from him gives you pause.

mkaroly

#15 Post by mkaroly »

It begins.

Lol...