AnchorBay

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

AnchorBay

#1 Post by romanD »

Hi there... I know CREEPSHOW 2 is not a good movie by any means, but once again Anchor Bay delivers in the UK a pretty good DVD, whereas the RC1 DVD is just a movie-only-edition.

The UK DVD of CREEPSHOW 2 features an audio commentary by the director and features about the make-up-effects and something called MY FRIEND RICK - Howard Berger about Rick Baker... ???!!!

don't understand why they produce those full-fledged editions in Europe and not in the states... can't be a right-thing, can it?

In preperations is also a Box-Set of all 4 Phantasm movies. Never been a big fan of those, although part 2 is really great... but Part 1 was too weird for me, don't remember part 3 very well, though I think it had great effects and part 4 was just suffering from the 1-Dollar-Budget too much.

Still... Anchorbay is a really nice DVD-Studio and should be applauded for their constant effort in saving obscure movies!

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

That CREEPSHOW 2 Special Edition *is* available in the U.S., Roman. They re-released it as a "Divimax" edition at some point in September.

AB just signed a deal with Fox to release some of their older library titles (like they did with Buena Vista back in the early days of the DVD format). Titles range from DEATH HUNT to MODERN PROBLEMS, and they begin to trickle out later this month!

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

ah, ok... so far I found only the movie-only-dvd of it... still there are a couple of nice gems they only release over here. I heard that with PHANTASM there are rights problems in the Us, so that box probably will only be released in the UK.

Some of the big studios should really be ashamed. If a small company like them can produce DVD so nicely, why can't the big ones?

Like who puts out the AMITYVILLE Box set? There is nothing on it, except a new feature about the upcoming remake... I mean, ok, AMITYVILLE 1 was already pure crap and I don't think there is one out there who wants to buy this set anyway... but if you put out a set of a "successful" series, than you should at least please the fan and not use it as a marketing tool only. (is part 3 in 3-D on the set? Here in the UK it is.. well, that's at least something, but can't save the abysmal film)

AMITYVILLE along with the HOWLING series are the worst horror-franchises ever, don't you think? The trailer for the remake looks horrible and I seriously don't know why anybody makes a remake of a crappy movie nobody remembers nowadays anymore. And the fact that Steve Jablonsky writes the score for it is for me the final nail in its coffin.

Saw recently HITCHER again... now that is a movie, which could be redone nicely, though it is really great already the way it is. Just in case they are looking for soemthing to remake... :lol:
(btw, that movies has a great 2-disc special edition in Germany...)

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

PHANTASM is owned by MGM in the States, so that would explain the lack of a Special Edition. It's funny -- most of the different "Special Editions" come in Dino DeLaurentiis movies. Since he owns the international rights, you see a LOT of varying DVD versions of his movies around the world (Roman, if you can get me a copy of KING KONG, the R2 French DTS Special Edition, I'll trade you something from here my friend!!).

Funny you should ask about that house on Long Island: MGM owns the entire AMITYVILLE movie franchise (through their Orion library, which had previously gobbled up American International's ownership), and they're doing a whole box-set of the I-III films in March I believe to coincide with the remake.

Here in the U.S., only the first movie has been available on DVD, so that will be an upgrade (I think they're including the History Channel Amityville documentaries, which are actually better than the movie itself!).

AMITYVILLE 2 and 3-D came out in the UK last fall -- I hate the second movie (distateful and stupid, but other than that it's great!), but the third movie is good fun, probably the best of the series at least in terms of its execution and scope cinematography. I saw that one in third grade with my best friend's dad (who was a movie critic on a local radio station) after school on a weekday afternoon. I remember the only other people in the theater were a group of college-age guys who started laughing at the opening credits, and the movie theater manager who told them to be quiet shortly thereafter!!

Like Roman said, the UK Special Edition has commentary and a 3-D version which is in the old analygraph red/blue format. It's not like the "real" 3-D from theaters but it's kind of cool. I actually paid to import that, back before the US dollar plunged on the international circuit, thereby making most imports not worth it for me at the moment (if I DO import, it's generally from Australia because of the exchange rate, though even there it's not a bargain now!).

There are SO MANY BAD HORROR FRANCHISES Roman, I don't know where to start. Amityville is crap, The Howling certainly is as well. I'm not a big fan of the Hellraiser series either, and Halloween -- as much as I love the early movies -- has slid downhill quick since Dimension took over the reigns.

romanD

#5 Post by romanD »

ok, Andy, I look around for the KING KONG... you mean the remake, right? Would suprise me if the 1933 version has dts sound.. lol...

I like the first 3 HELLRAISER movies a lot... first one is really one of the best horrormovies and its dremalike atmosphere is just wonderful. Part 2 is kinda silly, but still has a lot of atmosphere and one of the best scores of all time. Part 3 is fun, though it's action-heavy and quite a departure from the dreamlike atmosphere. Part 4 was ok, given the trouble circumstances during production. After that I didn't bother anymore and didn't watch any further installments.

romanD

#6 Post by romanD »

Andy, got the KING KONG you were looking for. Was suprisingly easy and chepa to find. Check your emails...

I don't like that movie at all, but I have to say, the DVD looks intriguing :-)