STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS - Blu-Ray Thoughts

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
DavidBanner

Re: STAR WARS EPISODE VII - Final Trailer Released

#271 Post by DavidBanner »

One can only hope that Carrie Fisher isn't planning on posing in that bikini for a magazine cover this year...

AndyDursin

#272 Post by AndyDursin »

You wonder what they did to force Hamill and Fisher to get in shape...lol

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star- ... 201651263/

AndyDursin

#273 Post by AndyDursin »

Saw this on Variety today -- the composer of Broadways HAMILTON wrote the "new Cantina" music because:
Composer John Williams, who wrote the original cantina music, had wanted to bow out and concentrate on the rest of the new film’s score.
http://variety.com/2015/legit/news/lin- ... 201650995/

Paul MacLean

Re: STAR WARS EPISODE VII - Williams Not Scoring Cantina Mus

#274 Post by Paul MacLean »

Fisher was lucky that wearing a slave costume was all they asked of her -- when you consider that at the time, Debra Winger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Sandahl Bergman, Kelly McGillis, Sean Young, Phoebe Cates, and of course Virginia Madsen were all appearing nude in movies!

Monterey Jack

#275 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:Fisher was lucky that wearing a slave costume was all they asked of her -- when you consider that at the time, Debra Winger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Sandahl Bergman, Kelly McGillis, Sean Young, Phoebe Cates, and of course Virginia Madsen were all appearing nude in movies!
Truly the golden age of cinema. :D :wink:

Eric Paddon

#276 Post by Eric Paddon »

There used to be a website devoted to the costume that has now disappeared alas (after being idle for a few years).

AndyDursin

#277 Post by AndyDursin »

While ISIS attacks America, social media fools are upset JJ Abrams indicated STAR WARS was/is a "boys thing"

Clearly, Abrams should start using gender neutral terms immediately, that will save the world and ensure that no sensitive soul is offended by his verbiage!

http://deadline.com/2015/12/jj-abrams-e ... 201653533/

mkaroly

#278 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:While ISIS attacks America, social media fools are upset JJ Abrams indicated STAR WARS was/is a "boys thing"

Clearly, Abrams should start using gender neutral terms immediately, that will save the world and ensure that no sensitive soul is offended by his verbiage!

http://deadline.com/2015/12/jj-abrams-e ... 201653533/
:roll: PC gone amuck. I am just so sick of it.

AndyDursin

#279 Post by AndyDursin »

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from George Lucas.
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy recently said that George Lucas, godfather of the Star Wars franchise, saw The Force Awakens and “liked it.” Reluctant to take the word of such a seemingly unreliable source at face value, we sought confirmation from the man himself — and, Sunday night, we got it. Sort of.

“I think the fans are going to love it,” he said. “It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.”
http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/george-l ... akens.html#

Paul MacLean

Re: STAR WARS EPISODE VII - Lucas "Liked It"

#280 Post by Paul MacLean »

Here's some behind-the-scenes footage of Abrams and John Williams at the scoring session...

http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-j ... 201664881/

DavidBanner

#281 Post by DavidBanner »

It sounds to me like Lucas was not impressed with the story they chose to tell. And if I'm reading the various trailers correctly (I'm avoiding all the various spoilers out there), that's due to Abrams choosing unfortunately to just do a reboot of the first Star Wars movie. Granted, there are many fans out there who would be delighted just to go down that road again, and I think that's what Lucas was acknowledging. But to me, it's just retreading old ground we've already covered.

Say what you will about the prequels, Lucas did try to tell some original stories and find some new places to go in the narrative. The third prequel in particular made some fairly interesting choices.

And Lucas, for all his various issues, never flattened everyone with unrelenting, overwhelming marketing like Disney and the Lucas-free Lucasfilm have with the new movie.

AndyDursin

#282 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes I think that's right on the money David.

Also it is crazy we're a week away and nobody has leaked the soundtrack out yet....

Edmund Kattak

#283 Post by Edmund Kattak »

The latest "Chinese" trailer is proof to me (and echoes David's sentiment) that this is starting to look like a reboot/rehash of the first movie, possible first 3 when it's all over.
Indeed,
Ed

jkholm

#284 Post by jkholm »

How soon do I need to turn the internet off to avoid spoilers?

AndyDursin

#285 Post by AndyDursin »

I don't know when the critic screenings are but they have this on lockdown at least for a few more days.

Really the only spoiler that I am not sure of is whether Luke has gone Sith which would be a horrible idea but is the current rumor du jour...my guess is that's not the case