Oscars 2016

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Oscars 2016

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

:lol:

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

TELL DE TROOT'...! 8)

mkaroly

#18 Post by mkaroly »

HA HA HA!!!! I love both of those posts (Andy and MJ) - that is the TRUTH, no doubt. What a phony!!

AndyDursin

#19 Post by AndyDursin »

The **** song from SPECTRE just won the Oscar.

That's the really sad indictment about the Academy lol

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

So is SPOTLIGHT going to end up the least celebrated Best Picture winner in Oscar history? 2 wins, and just one other award outside Best Picture. Can't remember another BP winner that only won 1 other Oscar.

Anyway good to see the soapboxers in full force. Spotlight crew pleading to Pope Francis. DiCaprio using his climate change platform, pleading for world leaders to combat the "biggest threat to the world." And 3 hours of intermittent racism jokes from Chris Rock, most of which were as spectacularly unfunny as Sasha Baron Cohen's appearance (I will say the Tracy Morgan Danish Girl bit scored heavily

Crowd also seemed dead, coming to life only for Morricone and DiCaprio's wins...plus a massive ovation for Joe Biden too! Almost no reaction for Brie Larson...she could have been accepting Short Subject there was so little applause.

Capped off by Sam Smith believing he's one of the first openly gay men to win an Oscar? Sorry Sam but judging from the amount of Oscar winners who thanked their longtime companions in the past, you're not a trailblazer. And your song was wholly undeserving on top of it lol

A weird, sanctimonious and constantly apologetic show that probably was well suited to a very strange year for movies in general....finishing out with rap music playing out the end credits!! WTF is right

DavidBanner

#21 Post by DavidBanner »

So let's see how I fared this year with the prognostications:

Best Score - Hateful 8, Yes, but no surprise there.
Best Foreign Film - Son of Saul, Yes, again no surprise.
Best Animated Film - Inside Out, showing that Academy voters did not wish to be adventurous this year.
Best VFX - Ex Machina! All I can think is that the vote was split in the category.
Best Production Design - Mad Max?
Best Makeup - Mad Max?
Best Costumes - Mad Max???
Best Sound Mix - Mad Max - this was one that I called before (but the examples they gave on the show were way off - this award is for the on-set recording, not for the Foley effects in Post)
Best Sound Effects Editing - Mad Max????
Best Cinematography - Revenant (and in other news, the earth orbits the sun)
Best Editing - Mad Max???? (This was where I started wondering what the heck was going on)
Best Adapted Screenplay - The Big Short, as expected
Best Original Screenplay - Spotlight, as expected
Best Director - Revenant, meaning that the Academy voters just followed DGA in lockstep. Truly a shame, since this was not a fairly overlong and self-indulgent film, and frankly one that was not as well directed as Birdman last year.
Best Supporting Actress - Alicia Vikander, as expected
Best Supporting Actor - Mark Rylance, as expected
Best Actress - Brie Larson, as expected
Best Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio, unfortunately. The best performance here was Redmayne's, but he simply couldn't compete with DiCaprio's popularity. OTOH Redmayne did get his statue last year.
Best Picture - Spotlight, as expected

So, most of what I had in mind proceeded to play out. The big surprise was Mad Max sweeping almost all of the technical awards. Guess it was all that rich Corinthian Australian leather...
And Ex-Machina did nice for itself in picking up something, likely due to a car crash in the category between some of its bigger brothers there.

I note that Brooklyn, Trumbo, The Martian, Carol, Steve Jobs and Star Wars JJ Abrams Awakens were all shut out completely.

There were some very strange moments in the broadcast (Girl Scout cookies???), but I thought Chris Rock did okay for the most part.
The Will Smith boycott was wildly over-addressed, but aside from that, the event moved along fairly well.
Both Dave Grohl and Lady Gaga gave really good performances. I was surprised by Gaga's performance - she was a lot better than I expected.
I was also surprised to see JJ Abrams presenting the Best Director Oscar. Shouldn't he be doing that for the Emmys? He's directed one decent movie and a bunch of fairly bad ones. His best piece of directing is still the LOST pilot and that's 12 years old now.
Kevin Hart's moment onstage was excruciating, but then most of his movies are too.

Overall, this was a more entertaining show than last year. Or perhaps I've just blocked out most of last year's show as it is...

Paul MacLean

#22 Post by Paul MacLean »

The preachy, overtly political nature of this show was beyond tiresome. There was an irony in Joe Biden being applauded by a room full of people who supported Bill Clinton -- who is guilty of the very type of misogyny Biden was decrying!

Morricone's win was the high point of the evening, if not the high point of the Oscars so far this decade. Heaven knows he deserves it after all these decades. I also appreciated his respectful comments to John Williams. The Star Wars robots' nod to Williams was also nice to see (if a bit out of left field).

jkholm

#23 Post by jkholm »

AndyDursin wrote:So is SPOTLIGHT going to end up the least celebrated Best Picture winner in Oscar history? 2 wins, and just one other award outside Best Picture. Can't remember another BP winner that only won 1 other Oscar.
According to my Twitter feed last night, the only other Best Picture winner to win only one other Oscar is THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

That being said, SPOTLIGHT is an excellent choice.

Eric Paddon

#24 Post by Eric Paddon »

Paul MacLean wrote:The preachy, overtly political nature of this show was beyond tiresome. There was an irony in Joe Biden being applauded by a room full of people who supported Bill Clinton -- who is guilty of the very type of misogyny Biden was decrying!
That's just the modern Hollywood blacklist in action. Democrats only allowed, and entitled to all kinds of favored privileges and passes and if you aren't one of them, BEWARE.

I will never watch a moment of those exercises in narcissistic navel-gazing for as long as I live.

But OTOH, I didn't mind downloading this interesting item of the 1956 Oscar radio broadcast!

http://pastdaily.com/2016/02/27/academy ... hronicles/

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Eight year low matched in the ratings:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/oscars- ... 201717431/

mkaroly

#26 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:So is SPOTLIGHT going to end up the least celebrated Best Picture winner in Oscar history? 2 wins, and just one other award outside Best Picture. Can't remember another BP winner that only won 1 other Oscar.

Anyway good to see the soapboxers in full force. Spotlight crew pleading to Pope Francis. DiCaprio using his climate change platform, pleading for world leaders to combat the "biggest threat to the world." And 3 hours of intermittent racism jokes from Chris Rock, most of which were as spectacularly unfunny as Sasha Baron Cohen's appearance (I will say the Tracy Morgan Danish Girl bit scored heavily

Crowd also seemed dead, coming to life only for Morricone and DiCaprio's wins...plus a massive ovation for Joe Biden too! Almost no reaction for Brie Larson...she could have been accepting Short Subject there was so little applause.

Capped off by Sam Smith believing he's one of the first openly gay men to win an Oscar? Sorry Sam but judging from the amount of Oscar winners who thanked their longtime companions in the past, you're not a trailblazer. And your song was wholly undeserving on top of it lol

A weird, sanctimonious and constantly apologetic show that probably was well suited to a very strange year for movies in general....finishing out with rap music playing out the end credits!! WTF is right
I watched maybe two minutes of it last night - all that preachiness because Will Smith boycotted the Oscars. Wow...it's completely unwatchable to me and, as Eric said, narcissistic beyond belief. Sam Smith's song is one of the absolute worst in Bond history as well, IMO. That just shows how meaningless an Oscar is. Congratulations to the winners last night - no one cares you won except for yourselves. Enjoy!

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

jkholm wrote:
According to my Twitter feed last night, the only other Best Picture winner to win only one other Oscar is THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

That being said, SPOTLIGHT is an excellent choice.
A dubious group to be in!

SPOTLIGHT is a very fine film, I agree, though I do think it's going to join an increasing amount of Oscar Best Picture choices which few will be talking about or watching years from now. Even this year, I didn't feel a lot of buzz for it, but I had the impression it was going to win BP because it had the "message" factor and THE REVENANT was too brutal for the core Oscar voting block.

Still, while not a movie I'd ever want to watch a second time, I felt THE REVENANT very close to being a classic, at least for its cinematography and "world immersion" alone. A major artistic achievement for Inarritu despite the film's overlength.

BobaMike

#28 Post by BobaMike »

I was annoyed at the girl scout cookie thing. Was the total amount raised real?

If so, these celebs spent more on cookies in 15 minutes than most people earn in a year. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

Embarrassing BM, agreed. From what I read, it was real (if staged):

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-buy-girl-sco ... rs-2326890

Though, the total seems exaggerated...by quite a lot!

DavidBanner

#30 Post by DavidBanner »

Just as a thought. It sounds like most people here don't like the Academy Awards and no longer believe they are relevant (ie the box office being small for most of them, the ratings being lower, etc).

If that's the case, then why discuss it?
No reason for people to watch or participate in something they don't like.
Maybe next year, instead of discussing the Oscars at all, maybe it would be more fruitful to discuss a good awards-time movie without having to get into all the stuff about the Academy or the telecast.
It just seems to me that it irritates people to no end to discuss the Oscars, and there's no need to do that.