STAR TREK BEYOND - Now Featuring Rihanna's Hit Single!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: STAR TREK BEYOND - Now Featuring Rihanna's Hit Single!

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W.

#17 Post by Eric W. »

Apparently a new trailer has basically ruined one of the film's twists about the villain.

Way to go.

jkholm

#18 Post by jkholm »

7.5/10

I liked it. A definite improvement over the previous film with a more focused story and lots of humor. The action sequences got a little too chaotic at times and one in particular (not saying until everyone has seen it) came off as rather silly. The cast still works very well together and the new characters were interesting. I suppose you could complain that it's "just like an episode of the TV show but with a bigger budget" but I'm fine with that. After all, this is all the Trek we get now, at least until the new show.

Monterey Jack

#19 Post by Monterey Jack »

^^^ Agreed...this was a fun, unpretentious film that felt more like an "Original Series" episode that the previous two films (which were too beholden to copying Star Wars and Wrath Of Khan). All of the character interactions were lively and amusing, especially the Bones/Spock pair-up (Karl Urban's evocation of Deforest Kelley is one of the best elements of these new films), the action was well-done, I liked the new, chalky-white alien girl (forget her name..she was played by the actress who was Samuel L. Jackson's sword-footed henchwoman in Kingsman: The Secret Service) and her banter with "Montgomery Scotty", and the tributes to Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin were affectionate and heartfelt.

Eric W.

#20 Post by Eric W. »

Hearing good things about it... consensus building is "better than the last one."

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah, the reviews are good. Not many of them are glowingly enthusiastic -- more like, it's better than the last one. That's still not enough to get me out to pay money to see it.

Opening weekend is going to be fairly tepid, under $60 mil it looks like, which would be under both of the prior installments.

Anyway they've got Chris Hemsworth lined up for STAR TREK 4 (or whatever it will be called) so they have an ace up their sleeve lol.

DavidBanner

#22 Post by DavidBanner »

I'll wait to see this one on TV, as I did the last one.
I'm understanding that this one plays as an okay episode of one of the series, so it should play better that way in any case.

Agreed that signing Chris Hemsworth for a fourth movie before this one even came out was a bit of a head-scratcher.