New STAR TREK DISCOVERY Series

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric W.

New STAR TREK DISCOVERY Series

#1 Post by Eric W. »

io9.com/holy-crap-they-are-officially-making-a-new-star-trek-t-1740024705

Multiple outlets are reporting that Alex Kurtzman, co-writer of 2009’s Star Trek and its sequel Star Trek Into Darkness, will executive produce a new Star Trek show through CBS Television Studios.

That doesn't do much to get me stoked.

AndyDursin

Re: New Star Trek TV series in the works

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Kurtzmann was in charge of SLEEPY HOLLOW which went right into the tank after a good start, so I'm not excited about this news -- even though TV is the natural spot for STAR TREK.

AndyDursin

Re: New Star Trek TV series in the works

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

So we're missing the really big news here -- it's not airing on TV. It will be part of CBS' version of Netflix, their "CBS All Access" streaming service, with just a SINGLE episode being shown on broadcast TV! (Fixed the OP title Eric)

I'm not paying $5.99 for a Kurtzmann TREK TV series, sorry...

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... ss_in_2017
Producer Alex Kurtzman is developing a new "Star Trek" TV series, setting it at warp speed to debut on CBS in January 2017.

The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS' All Access digital subscription service. This would be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences to air in such a way.

Kurtzman is exec producing via a deal with CBS Television Studios. It will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman's Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers (This is separate from his and Roberto Orci's K/O Paper Products overall with CBS TV).

"There is no better time to give 'Star Trek' fans a new series than on the heels of the original show's 50th anniversary celebration," said David Stapf, president of CBS Television Studios. "Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we're excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately."

Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the films "Star Trek" (2009) with Orci, and "Star Trek Into Darkness" (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film "Star Trek Beyond," which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016 and is written by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg.
This explains the move:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/m ... ng-netflix

Eric W.

Re: New STAR TREK Series -- To Debut Via CBS Pay Streaming

#4 Post by Eric W. »

LOL, no thanks.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

So let's get this straight -- it's STAR TREK on TV except:

-Alex Kurtzmann is producing it
-You have to pay $5.99/monthly to watch it

HAHAHA! Nice one! :lol:

DavidBanner

#6 Post by DavidBanner »

This has all the makings of a train wreck.
It sounds to me like they'll need to make this show as cheaply as possible, given that they won't have any of the normal funding sources available to a network or syndicated program. Unless they're thinking that they'll get millions of people to spend 6 bucks a pop to watch new episodes rather than being able to see them for free on television. And good luck to them on that idea.

I expect this will look a lot like the 2009 movie (lots of shaky cam, lens flares and outlandish plotting) only with perhaps some of the story ideas left over from Fringe.

Once again, I'm happy to just stay with the existing series, as preserved already on DVD and Blu-ray.

The one bright spot about this is that at least it's not another one of those fan films...

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

My Trek is dead. I made peace with that. I'll salute the big 5-0 but I'm under no illusions at this point.

jkholm

#8 Post by jkholm »

New rumors that the upcoming TREK series will be set in the original series' universe, be set before TNG and will be a seasonal anthology. These all sound like great ideas.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13/ ... generation

jkholm

#9 Post by jkholm »

Teaser trailer is out.

Not much except for:

1. the phrase "new crews" (plural). As in more than one crew in the first season or a hint at the possible anthology format?

2. when Alexander Courage''s main theme is played, it is thankfully not done in tinkly piano style.

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

Netflix has signed an international licensing agreement with CBS Studios Intl. to be the exclusive home of the new “Star Trek” television series in 188 countries.

The deal does not include the U.S. and Canada, where CBS and Bell Media, respectively, have the rights. Each episode of the series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.

Additionally, all 727 episodes of the previous “Star Trek” TV series, including “Star Trek: The Original Series,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” “Star Trek: Voyager” and “Star Trek: Enterprise,” will be available on Netflix around the world by the end of this year.

Commenting on the Netflix pact, Armando Nunez, president and CEO at CBS Studios Intl., said: “The launch of the new ‘Star Trek’ will truly be a global television event. ‘Star Trek’ is a worldwide phenomenon and this international partnership will provide fans around the world, who have been craving a new series for more than a decade, the opportunity to see every episode virtually at the same time as viewers in the U.S. Thanks to our world-class partners at Netflix, the new ‘Star Trek’ will definitely be ‘hailing on all frequencies’ throughout the planet.”

The new series will begin production in Toronto in September for its January 2017 premiere. “The franchise will return to television for the first time since 2005 with a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation,” according to a press statement.

In the U.S., the series will launch with a special premiere episode on the CBS Television Network in January. The premiere episode and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the U.S. exclusively on CBS All Access, the network’s digital subscription video-on-demand and live-streaming service.

Bell has acquired the exclusive linear TV and SVOD rights in Canada. Each episode of the new series will be available simultaneously with its release in the U.S. Bell has also licensed all episodes in the “Star Trek” TV library.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/global/ ... 201816219/
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.

DavidBanner

#12 Post by DavidBanner »

The new Star Trek web series is going into production in Toronto. It is apparently set in the pre-Abrams universe around the time of the original series. The design of the new ship is at least partly built from Ralph McQuarrie's designs from the 70s. David Semel, an experienced pilot director for CBS, is directing the first episode. The other directors are likely to be people who have previously directed K/O television episodes in Canada for Fringe and others. I'm not expecting to see any directors from the Berman era going up to do episodes, given that most of them have retired or passed at this point. I suppose Rob Bowman could do one if he wanted, but my understanding of him these days is that he thinks of himself as a producer/director and given his years of Castle and X-Files, Star Trek is very far in his rear view mirror. (Bowman is now older than Cliff Bole and Corey Allen were when they directed for TNG, as a point of reference.)

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Gay characters and a female captain (who cares, we already had Mulgrew!) on-tap for this show.

https://t.co/eT1R84EaKp

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Bryan Fuller's got "too much on his plate" -- either that, or he's bailing before it gets worse.

I think the bigger news is -- AMAZING STORIES is coming back!!
Sources said there had been some strain between “Star Trek” producer CBS Television Studios and Fuller over the progress of production on the show, as Fuller is also juggling the final weeks of shooting and post-production duties on Starz’s upcoming drama “American Gods” and prepping a reboot of “Amazing Stories” for NBC.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-f ... 201901398/

DavidBanner

Re: New STAR TREK Series - Bryan Fuller Steps Down as Showrunner

#15 Post by DavidBanner »

He's bailing.

There are clearly some serious issues involved in starting the show and something is not going correctly.
They are close to starting shooting and they don't know who their lead actor is going to be.
Granted, Voyager started with Bujold rather than Mulgrew, but this situation is a bit ridiculous.

It seems clear to me that Alex Kurtzman is setting this show up as a kind of follow-up to Fringe, not Star Trek.
The Variety article is indicating that they are spending an amount of money that makes absolutely no sense. I cannot imagine any new series for a partial web network investing 6-7 million per hour. Netflix spent 4 per ep when they started up House of Cards, but went super cheap on their other shows. HBO currently spends more on its big prestige shows, but nobody else does.

The indication here is that they don't have their writing house in order, which tells us that they could be looking at a repeat of the original season of TNG, which had a LOT of problems in the fallout from that kind of problem.