New STAR TREK DISCOVERY Series

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
sprocket

Re: New STAR TREK Series - Trainwreck Incoming?

#16 Post by sprocket »

It always surprises me how 'ham-handed' these properties are handled.

Aren't there competent professionals out there to at least get the product out?

I'm not expecting any vision in these shows, but I am surprised at the total lack of direction. :?

John Johnson

Re: New STAR TREK Series - Bryan Fuller Steps Down as Showrunner

#17 Post by John Johnson »

Star Trek: Discovery has found its first star! Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon‘s Michelle Yeoh is set to headline the CBS All Access series, Nicholas Meyer just confirmed to CS. Meyer, who helmed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, is serving as a consulting producer on Discovery. Although it is unconfirmed at this time, Michelle Yeoh’s role is potentially the series’ lead, a female Lieutenant Commander.

“I know Michelle Yeoh is in it,” Meyer told us during a discussion of his 1979 sci-fi classic Time After Time. The film, starring Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper, received a Blu-ray edition last week from Warner Archive.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/78848 ... -discovery
London. Greatest City in the world.

John Johnson

#18 Post by John Johnson »

BREAKING: Michelle Yeoh Reportedly Cast as Captain Han Bo of the U.S.S. Shenzhou in “Star Trek: Discovery”

Following yesterday’s report that Star Trek: Discovery writer/producer Nicholas Meyer said Michelle Yeoh had been cast in the new series, her casting has been confirmed by two additional sources, and Yeoh herself has commented. Deadline claims that she will play Captain Han Bo of the U.S.S. Shenzhou, a ship key to Discovery‘s first season.

Yeoh Reportedly Playing Han Bo, Captain of the U.S.S. Shenzhou
Deadline today has allegedly confirmed that Michelle Yeoh has been cast in a role as a Starfleet Captain in Star Trek: Discovery. Specifically, Deadline’s sources state that her character’s name will be Han Bo and she will captain the U.S.S. Shenzhou, a vessel that will “play a big role in Discovery’s first season.”

Variety has also confirmed the casting, but report no information regarding Yeoh’s role.

Asked about the casting rumors while appearing on the red carpet at the Singapore International Film Festival, Yeoh responded:

“Well, I think CBS will make their own announcement. But we all grew up with the Star Trek generation, so of course I’m a big fan.”

Lead Apparently Yet to Be Cast
Variety also reports that the show’s search for its lead, a female Lieutenant Commander, continues after three months of casting. Discovery‘s producers are reportedly not in the market for a big star for this role, but rather a younger (relative to Yeoh) fresh face. The show’s producers are apparently looking for an African-American or Latina actor. While Discovery has reportedly had a difficult time settling on the perfect person for the part, Variety notes that several names have been “floating around” for some time.

CBS is not confirming or commenting on any casting news at this point.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/11/23/breakin ... -shenzhou/

BobaMike

#20 Post by BobaMike »

Someone had a leftover Star Wars Rey costume?

John Johnson

#21 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

That trailer sucked.

jkholm

#23 Post by jkholm »

I thought the trailer for Seth MacFarlane's Trek spoof The Orville looked better, although I can't imagine it lasting more than a few episodes.

mkaroly

#24 Post by mkaroly »

AndyDursin wrote:That trailer sucked.

Ha ha ha!

It looks like it is taking itself way too seriously, AND it looks like it is a TV version of the JJ Abrams TREK movies. It looks...heavy and humorless.

Eric Paddon

#25 Post by Eric Paddon »

Honestly, when is enough enough of this franchise?

AndyDursin

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

The new show sounds positively AWFUL.

EW has information on what Bryan Fuller wanted to make before CBS canned him, and while there's obviously no guarantee it would've been appreciably better, it certainly sounds more interesting.

http://trekmovie.com/2017/07/28/bryan-f ... d-tng-era/

Eric W.

#27 Post by Eric W. »

Eric Paddon wrote:Honestly, when is enough enough of this franchise?

I agree. I've long since resigned myself that my Star Trek is dead and done.

KevinEK

#28 Post by KevinEK »

As I see it, we already have plenty of good material of Star Trek available to us in multiple media forms.
I'm happy to have the complete sets of both the original and TNG editions of the show, and the movies as they were before someone allowed Abrams to make a mess out of them.
In the same way, I'm happy to have the complete original Twilight Zone and other series.
When I want to revisit these series, I just go to those.

I honestly have no interest in seeing the new series, and it looks to me like the latest batch of movies is thankfully done.

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

How edgy!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/07/star-trek-d ... ivide/amp/

What strikes me is that whereas the old show did address social issues, it did it in a few episodes. The focal point of the series was sci-fi adventure and providing a show that was inclusive for all ages and backgrounds.

This show seems designed strictly FOR this kind of stuff, and anchoring this series around a seemingly convoluted story involving a political allegory...of any kind...feels like the kind of thing the franchise should be avoiding. Especially as it tries to resurrect itself in this form...but that's just me!

Paul MacLean

#30 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 am What strikes me is that whereas the old show did address social issues, it did it in a few episodes. The focal point of the series was sci-fi adventure and providing a show that was inclusive for all ages and backgrounds.
A pitfall of trying to be so pointedly topical, is that hindsight often reveals "pressing issues" to be far-less significant than first thought. (Witness that Battlestar Galatica episode a decade ago where they "steal the election" -- Ooooo!)

I also finally got around to watching that trailer. Looks like a cross between Babylon 5 and the Abrams Star Trek movies. Pass.

And why is it that in every Star Trek series since Deep Space Nine, the crew are dressed like janitors?