Kino Lorber - Sale Live (Most titles $10 & Under!)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Kino Lorber - Sale Live (Most titles $10 & Under!)

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Kino Lorber's biggest sale ever (400 titles) will allegedly be next week on their website...lots of $10-$15 titles I'd imagine and free shipping. So hold off on any purchases this week!

Worth noting THE HURRICANE (the John Ford version) is going out of print at the end of the month so that may be worth picking up.

jkholm

Re: Kino Lorber - Huge Sale Incoming

#2 Post by jkholm »

Why are so many labels having sales at the same time??? Warner Archive has their 4 for $44 sale, Criterion has the 50% off at B&N sale and Twilight Time is having a flash sale. My Paypal account can't take it! Still, it's better then no sales at all.

AndyDursin

Re: Kino Lorber - Huge Sale Incoming

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I think it's the time of year. July is a dead time for home video releases and most people are at the beach. :)

AndyDursin

Re: Kino Lorber - Sale Live (Most titles $10 & Under!)

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Wow, great prices! $10 and under for most! I even picked up a few that they weren't able to send for review purposes. (Free ship threshold is $50):

https://www.kinolorber.com/store/

This is the one going out of print at month's end, and is only available here:

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/view/id/2894

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

Just went for two, "Juggernaut" (an upgrade) and for the heck of it, "Yongary, Monster From The Deep" which I remember seeing once on the old WABC "4:30 Movie" about 35 plus years ago! (as I recall this film is lost in its original language!)

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote:"Yongary, Monster From The Deep" which I remember seeing once on the old WABC "4:30 Movie" about 35 plus years ago! (as I recall this film is lost in its original language!)
That movie was featured on the recent Netflix revival of MST3K, which elicited the memorable quip, "I keep expecting Pee-Wee Herman to ride his bike through this scene". :lol:

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Anyways, decided to splurge, mainly because I have some Paypal funds burning a hole in my pocket, and these Kino sales don't come along very often. Picked up the following...

Breakheart Pass
$9.98
Broken Arrow (1950) *
$9.98
The Challenge *
$9.98
The Enemy Below
$9.98
The Fourth War *
$9.98
Lifeboat
$9.98
Needful Things
$9.98
One Million Years, B.C. (1966) *
$12.98
Taking of Pelham One Two Three 42nd Anniversary Edition
$10.98
Tristan + Isolde (2006)
$8.98
The Wanderers *
$12.98

Subtotal:
$115.78

* Blind buy

After the $41 in my Paypal, I only spent out-of-pocket about $75 for the lot. :)

Eric Paddon

#8 Post by Eric Paddon »

I must have been looking at a different part of the page because some of those titles didn't come up when I checked! But I'm not going to go further than I did.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah pretty much everything is on sale, some of it takes some title by title searching to dig up.
Breakheart Pass
$9.98
Broken Arrow (1950) *
$9.98
The Challenge *
$9.98
The Enemy Below
$9.98
The Fourth War *
$9.98
Lifeboat
$9.98
Needful Things
$9.98
$12.98
Taking of Pelham One Two Three 42nd Anniversary Edition
$10.98
Tristan + Isolde (2006)
$8.98
The Wanderers *
$12.98
Watch the regular version of THE WANDERERS first -- not the Preview Cut. I love that movie!

That's a good roster, THE CHALLENGE is pretty cheesy but it's good for a few laughs...kind of peters out near the end. THE FOURTH WAR I bought a couple of years ago but haven't gotten around to watching it! :lol:

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Watch the regular version of THE WANDERERS first -- not the Preview Cut. I love that movie!
Your review here a few months ago is what intrigued me enough to take a chance on it, especially now that it's so cheap.
That's a good roster, THE CHALLENGE is pretty cheesy but it's good for a few laughs...kind of peters out near the end. THE FOURTH WAR I bought a couple of years ago but haven't gotten around to watching it! :lol:
I like John Frankenheimer movies in general...even when he whiffs, he tends to make entertaining turkeys like Prophecy and The Island Of Dr. Moreau. :P I've long loved Jerry Goldsmith's awesome Challenge score, and am looking forward to hearing it in context. Plus, I can always sell or trade off whatever I don't like, which is how I tend to justify blind buys during sales from the specialty labels like Twilight Time and Criterion.

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

Went back and made one more order of five films (to get the free shipping option). I toyed with getting the other Panther films but honestly they are not good films so I decided not to on those.

Lifeboat (out of stock but can still be ordered)
Witness For The Prosecution
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum
The Island Of Dr. Moreau (77)
Meteor

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Was always bummed about the Meteor audio. The MGM master is mono and the music sounds like it's out of a 1930s film over the end credits with distortion on top. :(

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

Monterey Jack wrote:Anyways, decided to splurge, mainly because I have some Paypal funds burning a hole in my pocket, and these Kino sales don't come along very often. Picked up the following...

$12.98
* Blind buy
Well worth opening your eyes to. :)

But more seriously, I was amazed at how the presentation hit all the right notes by offering both cuts of the film remastered.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

That's a great disc, one of the year's top catalog releases so far!

Eric Paddon

#15 Post by Eric Paddon »

It even had a decent commentary track which is rare!