Gerry Anderson's UFO: The Complete Series Blu-ray

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Gerry Anderson's UFO: The Complete Series Blu-ray

#1 Post by John Johnson »

British distributors Network Releasing will release on Blu-ray UFO: The Complete Series. The seven-disc box set will be available for purchase on November 14.

Official synopsis: The year is 1980. After ten years development in top secrecy, SHADO Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation goes live. Its aim: to combat the threat of an alien invasion from a dying race who abduct humans to repair their own decaying bodies. SHADO's dedicated operatives fight a secret war against Earth's terrifying new menace: on land, sea, air and in space!

The first live-action television series from Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, UFO remains a benchmark sci-fi production, featuring mature storylines and groundbreaking special effects. Long-awaited on Blu-ray, it is presented here in a stunning new High-Definition restoration, with all 26 episodes offering original mono or 5.1 soundtracks, alongside a wealth of special features.

Special Features:
From Earth to the Moon: brand new feature-length documentary with interviews, archive video, audio and stills - many of which have never been seen or heard before.
The Women of UFO: new documentary discussing the improving sexual equality depicted in the series and the role of science fiction in striving for that change
Identified: SHADO New Recruits Briefing: a newly created SHADO briefing film narrated by Matt Zimmerman
Exclusive 600 page book on the making of the series by archive television historian Andrew Pixley
Film material, including textless episode title backgrounds, textless end titles, stock footage, TV spots, extra footage for Identified and Exposed, unused footage from Timelash and The Long Sleep, Italian trailers
Audio commentaries: Identified with Gerry Anderson and Sub-Smash with Ed Bishop
S.I.D. Computer Voice Session and audio outtakes for these sessions and Kill Straker!
Archive Ed Bishop audio interview from 1996
Tomorrow Today: Future Fashions with Sylvia Anderson
Extensive image galleries including previously unseen images

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19919
London. Greatest City in the world.

sprocket

Re: Gerry Anderson's UFO: The Complete Series Blu-ray

#2 Post by sprocket »

Must buy for me, although region coding and price will be a factor.

Also nice to see it is 7 disks, equivalent to the Japanese release (the German set is only 6).

Is the seventh disk only extras?

John Johnson

#3 Post by John Johnson »

sprocket wrote:Must buy for me, although region coding and price will be a factor.

Also nice to see it is 7 disks, equivalent to the Japanese release (the German set is only 6).

Is the seventh disk only extras?
I'm going with the Network release, as they tend to set the bar high with these kind of releases.

sprocket

#4 Post by sprocket »

I've been happy with their releases, but unfortunately it is Region B.

I might wait until one of their (very good) sales to pick it up, however.

DavidBanner

#5 Post by DavidBanner »

I picked up their Region B Space: 1999 Series Two release and was well-pleased with it.
I also have the A&E port over of their DVD release of The Prisoner.
Haven't really gone for the UFO series, TBH.

John Johnson

#6 Post by John Johnson »

The pictures I have seen for the box make the release look a bit on the bulky side. Add that to the price, I may wait until it's been out a while.

On the subject of UFO, I see Chris Bentley's book, The Complete Book of Gerry Anderson's UFO has been updated and revised, just in time for the Network release.

John Johnson

#7 Post by John Johnson »

Bargain. I don't know how long this last.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/AS ... ieshome-21

John Johnson

#8 Post by John Johnson »

John Johnson wrote:Image

British distributors Network Releasing will release on Blu-ray UFO: The Complete Series. The seven-disc box set will be available for purchase on November 14.

Official synopsis: The year is 1980. After ten years development in top secrecy, SHADO Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organisation goes live. Its aim: to combat the threat of an alien invasion from a dying race who abduct humans to repair their own decaying bodies. SHADO's dedicated operatives fight a secret war against Earth's terrifying new menace: on land, sea, air and in space!

The first live-action television series from Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, UFO remains a benchmark sci-fi production, featuring mature storylines and groundbreaking special effects. Long-awaited on Blu-ray, it is presented here in a stunning new High-Definition restoration, with all 26 episodes offering original mono or 5.1 soundtracks, alongside a wealth of special features.

Special Features:
From Earth to the Moon: brand new feature-length documentary with interviews, archive video, audio and stills - many of which have never been seen or heard before.
The Women of UFO: new documentary discussing the improving sexual equality depicted in the series and the role of science fiction in striving for that change
Identified: SHADO New Recruits Briefing: a newly created SHADO briefing film narrated by Matt Zimmerman
Exclusive 600 page book on the making of the series by archive television historian Andrew Pixley
Film material, including textless episode title backgrounds, textless end titles, stock footage, TV spots, extra footage for Identified and Exposed, unused footage from Timelash and The Long Sleep, Italian trailers
Audio commentaries: Identified with Gerry Anderson and Sub-Smash with Ed Bishop
S.I.D. Computer Voice Session and audio outtakes for these sessions and Kill Straker!
Archive Ed Bishop audio interview from 1996
Tomorrow Today: Future Fashions with Sylvia Anderson
Extensive image galleries including previously unseen images

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19919
I have been told that the release is a digipak, something I really don't like. Network put all that effort into restoring the series, and they skimp on the packaging. I'll probably get it at some point, but I can wait until it drops in price.

John Johnson

#9 Post by John Johnson »

There is an Australian UFO Blu-ray rumor that MadMan Entertainment have plans to release the complete series. Madmen have said that they were unable to confirm a release at this time, as they are still in the middle of contract negotiations for this release.

John Johnson

#10 Post by John Johnson »

On a side note, a new book, "UFO Visual Archives" (謎の円盤UFO完全資料集成), written by Stephen La Rivière, director and producer of Filmed in Supermarionation. As far as I know there are no current plans for the book to be released outside of Japan.

John Johnson

#11 Post by John Johnson »

Looks like Network have re-packaged the Blu-ray release.