This Week's Column: BLADE RUNNER in 4K

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

This Week's Column: BLADE RUNNER in 4K

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

BLADE RUNNER in 4K (and it's awesome), a massive TV on DVD wrap including the first two seasons of FLIPPER and plenty more in this week's column, now live on the front page:

http://andyfilm.com/2017/08/30/9-5-17-l ... y-edition/

Eric Paddon

Re: This Week's Column: BLADE RUNNER in 4K

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

We're not likely to see S3 of "Flipper" soon because the Blu-Ray just used the transfers from the DVD releases of S1 and S2. MGM did a retail version of S1 and then an eight disc MOD release of S2 and never did S3 so they were using ready-made elements for the Blu-Ray.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Very strange MGM would do the first two seasons and not the third. It's not as if it ran for 13 seasons -- if you're going to transfer the first two for home video, why not the third one and complete the run?

It's odd MGM even has the rights to FLIPPER -- I guess the Samuel Goldwyn Company ended up with the rights to the TV series even though MGM produced it? Then Orion consumed that catalog, then MGM got the series back when they consumed Orion (who holds the show's copyright, strangely). In any other circumstance it'd be a Turner (Warner) property today, but it's not! :|

In any event the transfers are excellent. Shame they don't have Season 3 available to release.

Eric Paddon

#4 Post by Eric Paddon »

Part of the problem was MGM's attempt at doing a MOD service for TV shows they controlled never got off the ground the way it did with Warner Archive. The only other show that was released in that program was S1 of "Highway Patrol" in a *10* disc set! The costs were higher and the large number of discs didn't please a lot of people so that's why it died before S3 of "Flipper" could get out. The remaining seasons of "Highway Patrol" did get released retail by TGG.

jkholm

#5 Post by jkholm »

quick correction on Daredevil...Elektra is played by Elodie Yung. Rossario Dawson plays Nurse Clare.

I'm almost done with season 2. It's been a bit of a slog but things are finally picking up near the end.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Oops thanks John I will fix! You've gotten further along than I did.