HELLBOY - April 12 - Trailer

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

HELLBOY - April 12 - Trailer

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Attractively cast new movie (Ian McShane in the John Hurt role, Milla Jovovich as the villainess, the Stranger Things sheriff as Hellboy) that seemingly has nothing to do with the Del Toro movies -- looks like the powers-at-be wanted to move on from him, seemingly, based on comments made earlier this year. Neil Marshall, once a darling on the Brit horror scene, looks to reignite his career directing this reboot.

Ed Skrein from DEADPOOL has been cast in a role that's partially Japanese-American and has DREW THE IRE OF SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS already.

Anyway, Lionsgate has this one...

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/24/hellboy ... g-we-know/

Paul MacLean

Re: HELLBOY, Not a Sequel, Gears Into Production

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

I really enjoyed Del Toro's Hellboy pictures. I think it's a shame they're going with an all-new cast and crew.

Then again, everything's a "requel" these days. :roll:

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I gather the issue with Del Toro is the one that's always associated with Del Toro: he can't contain himself when it comes to big-studio budgets. He's been associated with more projects than he's actually directed, and many of them fall apart once the studios start to work with him...I think they are nervous about bankrolling his films because of his track record and the fact that he seems to draw a line in the sand financially and won't back off it.

For all the hype about HELLBOY II (which I liked a lot), it made $75 million and didn't make much profit, which is why Universal walked away from continuing the series...and seemingly every other studio did as well. PACIFIC RIM (sequel being made without him) was produced on a big canvas and barely cleared enough cash to generate another installment.

Even now, I noticed they delayed that long-gestating Cameron-produced FANTASTIC VOYAGE remake Del Toro is directing because of "awards season" for this other "small" movie he just made -- but I can almost guarantee the real reason is they're hedging their bets on handing over a budget with an astronomical price tag to him.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

Ron Perlman is going to be a tough act to follow. I'm not really big on these movies or anything but he absolutely made it.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Lame...

mkaroly

Re: HELLBOY - April 12 - Trailer

#6 Post by mkaroly »

I know nothing about HELLBOY...were the other movies good? This looks weird...lol...

BobaMike

#7 Post by BobaMike »

mkaroly wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:02 pm I know nothing about HELLBOY...were the other movies good? This looks weird...lol...
I really loved the first one- saw it twice in the theater. I recommend it. It's a fun mix of horror and adventure. One of Marco Beltrami's best scores also- a great love theme and Hellboy theme. The second one went over in the fantasy direction and wasn't near as good. (same goes for Elfman's score)

Zero interest in this reboot.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

What I dont quite get is that the studio touted a less humorous and more horrific (and faithful) rendition of the comic books than Del Toro's movies...yet it looks and sounds tonally just like them! If not even "lighter"...bizarre.

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

A whopping 12% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's 2% higher than Batman & Robin. :shock:

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Hey I can think of scores of movies far worse than the enjoyably ridiculous BATMAN & ROBIN. :D

This HELLBOY flick isn't going to do much of anything commercially. The concept of starting over with an R rating, and minus the prior cast and director, is definitely strange -- especially when there was a ceiling on both of the Del Toro movies at the box-office. What exactly is Lionsgate hoping for with this movie? I didn't see the budget but it doesn't look cheap with all those effects.